1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Good point, I hadn't considered that I couldn't just buy enough for one job. I'll call up some local cobblers and hope they don't get destroyed. Florida is not known for it's level of competency in regards to menswear.

2. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Hey guys, quick question on "remodeling" a shoe. (hopefully this is the right thread)...

I have a traditional suede buck that I want to modify, and I'm not sure what is possible and what is not. Ideally, I would like to change the flat goodyear welt into a split/reverse welt, and then change the red-brick sole into a regular leather sole.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

3. letsi

letsi Senior member

Hi Guys,

Just curious if anyone had this happened to their tin of saphir neutral wax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I probably left a dime size of water in the wax tin before I closed it and didn't open the wax tin again for almost a year(I know, shame on me for not wax polishing my shoes for a year)

I assume that's the cause but I never had such an problem with Kiwi wax tins that I've left untouched for years corroding or rusting...

Lastly, would like to know if anyone thinks that the wax inside had gone bad or it's just discoloration from rust? Would also like to know if everyone uses wax past 3-4 years old or is there a used by date for wax and polish?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  4. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Double posting this from the shoemaker thread

]May I ask a question of the experts here

The insole of this pair of shoes (handmade) appears slightly too small, leaving some type of soft material exposed (?canvas. The cream coloured materially on either side of the insole)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will this have long term deleterious effects?
    Should it be repaired now?

I don't think my foot rests on it when worn (high arches I guess)

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I think the rust ruined the wax. Personally I've never left any water inside my wax tins for exactly the reason you're experiencing.

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Wouldn't it be much easier just to buy a new tin?

1 person likes this.
  7. thelook

thelook Active Member

I subscribed to this thread, but haven't kept up very well. I have some quality shoes that need help. Does there exist somewhere within this morass of a thread an actual 'tutorial'. If someone doesn't point this out soon, I'll threaten to take the shoes to a shoe repair...[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  8. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

you might have to read a fair bit - but said tutorials appear every few pages. Going to the cobbler would definitely save you the trouble of reading through the thread

9. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Depends on what kind of help you need. If it's just a simple case of getting them polished and shined, here's a good tutorial

10. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Justin FitzPatrick (TheShoeSnob) also has a great video on YouTube. Definitely worth checking out.

11. thelook

thelook Active Member

Thanks for the comments...I will look at the vid. Skimming 17,000 posts is a daunting task.

12. thelook

thelook Active Member

Thank you. Is that a members name/handle, or someone I should do an internet search for?

13. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Just google the "shoe snob blog". A great read too. The polishing article is pretty visibly linked on his blog. Searching for the shoe snob on youtube will turn it up in no time as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  14. thelook

thelook Active Member

15. letsi

letsi Senior member

To be honest, I never had this issue in the past with other saphir or kiwi wax paste tins but I guess I'll stop doing it...

I did purchase a new tin but was just curious if I could salvage some of the wax paste for my lower tier shoes? It seems that polish can be revived by adding solvent to the mix based on this blog post: http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=569. Owner of this blog seemed pretty knowledgeable and has a pretty scientific/chemistry approach to shoe care and even has his own line of polish :slayer:

16. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

For those who use a shoe cream applicator/brush, do you wash it after each use? Or do you have brushes for each color polish (light brown, medium brown, dark brown, black, etc..)

17. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

I wash with dauber brush for cream/conditioner after a polishing session. Otherwise the cream eventually turns hard on the brush and it can't be used, unless it is cleaned. I just use soap and water.

I also recommend the same for the shine brush. You'd be surprised how much gunk comes out when you clean it.

18. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Speaking of cleaning brushes, I have a brush I've been using just for cleaning. I now wipe with a damp rag and brush lightly after wearing. Decided it would be good to occasionally clean that brush. After washing it now smells strongly - something between soot and tobacco. Is that normal for horse hair?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  19. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I personally don't have any use at all for dauber brushes. I find I don't have nearly as much control over the amount I'm applying with a dauber as I do with my fingers and a cloth. I'm mostly using Selvyt cloths now and if IIRC I think it was @Munky that first recommended them. They really work great without giving off any lint and they are washable too. I do use different color full size brushes though. Maybe that's a bit unnecessary but I have one for black, dark brown, light brown, and burg plus a separate brush just for dust I keep on my dresser to give a quick brushing before putting the shoes on and right after taking them off.

For those that use daubers, why do you prefer them over just using fingers and cloth?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  20. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I'm not sure why we don't have a wiki of important and recurring info.

1 person likes this.