1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Definitely a little bit of both. They're still in a lab drawer! Nice water spots from water, acid, and base.

2. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Followed up on the saddle soap pH. Think you were around for that though.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Just to be clear...I meant no disrespect.

5. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Slightly basic to summarize. All of it didn't dissolve in water.

Of course, none taken. Would be foolish to think my chemistry is gripping everyone's attention.

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Welcome back, Patrick! We missed you.

7. hedonist222

hedonist222 Senior member

Hello gents,

So my wholecut Santoni never really got the mirror shine I wanted from the first cobbler.
    So I took it to another (another branch of the first cobbler store).

Still no mirror shine.

I know they're using Saphir Medaille D'or Pate De Luxe Neutral.

So why aren't they reaching at the mirror finish?

Because he said they put on 4 coats. Let it dry for 20 minutes betwen each coat.

My only speculation is that they're not doing the fast buff at the end? With a nylon garment?
    Actually, I know they're not because I asked him.

Do you think I can take a go at it with some nylon later this evening and get a mirror finishing?

Should I add some droplets of water?

Thanks gents.

Photo for reference.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/CorruptedSanity/style/20151216_105934_zpslgmjfon1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

My guess would be that the process takes a long time and they can't afford to spend that time. I'd have a go at DIY

9. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

In my opinion you'll need more than 4 coats. At least 7 in my experience to fill the pores completely. I've also never really had great results with a nylon cloth. All my mirror shines come from just the cotton cloth, wax, and water.

10. parkman24

parkman24 Senior member

Gentlemen,

As I was perusing through Youtube yesterday on shoe care, I noticed that Crockett & Jones recommends conditioning/cleaning the soles of your shoes during shoe care maintenance as well. Any thoughts on this? Would you gentlemen recommend this additional step in regards to maintaining the longevity and health of the shoe?

Any input would be much appreciated!

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I've tried it a few times ages ago. If I recall correctly, a few folks way more knowledgeable than me on this thread advise against this. Among other things, it softens the leather (or something to that effect) and reduces its durability. I don't do it anymore.

1 person likes this.
  12. parkman24

parkman24 Senior member

Thanks for that @BootSpell ! You make a great point along with the other experts amongst the forum about the risk of losing durability. I guess the sole will be something I won't mess with. Much appreciated!

13. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Since I put a Topy half sole on I spray the bit of leather left between that and the rubber heel with my siede protector (since I shy away from slightly wet ground a bit less with the Topy). Not sure if that really makes a difference at all. I would like to think that it helps against some water droplets that might splash up or wet grass that sticks up.

Maybe our experts can chime in on this practice.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  14. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Leather Honey claims that it will increase the longevity of soles. I don't think they have anything that's not anecdotal, though. It would be an interesting thing to test.

15. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Glad you're back. I don't think I've ever commented directly, but your research and observations have been appreciated. I've discarded all my 'care' products that contain petroleum distillates and silicone, and stick to just lexol for conditioning and polish for protection/shine.

1 person likes this.
  16. Saturninus

Saturninus Well-Known Member

Is Venetian Shoe Cream the same thing as Venetian Imperial Balm? Just wondering. I was going to order the later from Rancourt & Co. and I just want to make sure it was the same as the former. They only sell the Imperial Balm

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

17. gberryman

gberryman New Member

Hey guys, brand new to styleforum - I was asking on /r/goodyearwelt about my Red Wing Iron Rangers and a few people suggested I post here.

Had these Iron Rangers for about four years, worn about every other day. Fell off a motorcycle and tore up the leather fairly early on but they're still waterproof so I just treat them with boot oil every few months.
    This has happened twice now though: [​IMG]
    Another angle: [​IMG]
    The welt itself is torn. Uppers are still fine (surface damage notwithstanding) and honestly the soles still have plenty of wear, but I'm scared to wear them at the moment in case I stub my toe and tear the whole thing off.
    The first time this happened, I took it in and the guy just restitched it somehow. I thought at first he had patched the welt somehow, but it all looks continuous (except for the tear) so my guess is just that he managed to catch enough of it to restitch it to the sole. Must not have been enough though, cause it only held for about a year before tearing again.
    If I get the shoe resoled, will the welt be replaced in the process? If I just get it repaired again, like before, should I expect better results from a better shop?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  18. Cordohan

Cordohan Member

If the upper's structure is fine a good cobbler should be able to stitch a new welt to it and resole it. I would not have it repaired like before, especially if the result was not satisfying.

Btw, those scratches look cool :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  19. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

It would have to be.

Frankly, I don't think it has anything to do with "a better shop." Certainly the original quality of the welting leaves a lot to be desired...but I suspect it has more to do with the quantity and quality of the oil you're using. One of the first things I'd look at is whether there is any mineral oil or petro-chemicals in the product.

Beyond that, it is possible to over-saturate any leather, regardless of quality, with too much oil. And then the fibers lose coherence.

--

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  20. gberryman

gberryman New Member

I use the Red Wing boot oil, which I believe is a mineral/mink blend with beeswax. I definitely don't oil them excessively, I don't think i've ever done it twice in three months - but I'll look into finding a product without mineral oil.