• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone who uses Venetian shoe cream advise on how to apply it? Also, what is the consistency supposed to be? Mine seems very thin and watery - is that normal? Does it need a good shake or something else to thicken it up a little bit? And do you just apply it with a cloth?

glenjay

Reaction score

... As for neutral polish having higher solvent properties, I have not experenced it. And, while I have been polishing my own shoes for close to 40 years, I have not been using Saphir products for nearly that long. I think it would be great if Kirbya could ask the makers of Saphir this question (since he has developed a relationship with them). I have sent a request to Kiwi with the same question, as I think this is very useful information to have.

I received a response from Kiwi in regard to the question of a difference in solvent ratio between neutral polish and colored polish:

"After checking with our experts, I can report that Neutral KIWI
00ae.png
Paste polish contains the same amount of solvents as the other colors (brown, black, etc.). However, the solvent percentage of the White Paste Polish is slightly less than the other colors."

I was hoping for a more definitive answer, that would include both paste and cream, so I have submitted the question back to them in regard to cream.

As this is an answer from only one shoe polish maker (albeit one of the largest), Kirbya has been kind enough to inform me that he will check with the makers of Saphir on this topic as well.

hikari013

Reaction score

Can someone who uses Venetian shoe cream advise on how to apply it? Also, what is the consistency supposed to be? Mine seems very thin and watery - is that normal? Does it need a good shake or something else to thicken it up a little bit? And do you just apply it with a cloth?

You need to shake it before using. The consistency should be like that of ketchup.

PL92106

Reaction score

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know. This explains it.

Not saying you are going to, but don't be a dumb ass like me and use it on calf. looked great until I started wearing them, then looked like cracked glass.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not saying you are going to, but don't be a dumb ass like me and use it on calf. looked great until I started wearing them, then looked like cracked glass.

lol. thanks for the heads up! I probably would have done that...

ksteryous

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just received some Saphir Cream in Bourdeux, and I think there's something wrong with it maybe. I also have the cream in black and it was very creamy and did wonders on my shoes. But the bourdeux was thick and stiff, almost like a wax?

Here's what happened...I treated my shoes with the Saphir Renovator, and they looked good....I then tried using a horse hair dauber for the first time (always used a cotton t-shirt before) to spread the cream, but it was so stiff that it just kind of caked on and was very streaky and dry. So much so, that I had a really hard time buffing it off with a brush.

What was left was a shoe that was very streaky and sticky....they looked awful. The next day I tried wiping them down as much as possible and reapplying the renovator to try and remove as much of the polish as possible.

Meanwhile, the dauber is now as stiff as possible, I think I might just go back to a cotton tee to apply the cream. But does it sound like I got a bad batch of cream?

Thanks,
Kenton

glenjay

Reaction score

I have no real experience with Venetian shoe cream, could someone give me some insight into its purpose and why it would crack on calf versus whatever you would use it on (cordovan shell?).

Thanks.

fitchottie

Reaction score

lol. thanks for the heads up! I probably would have done that...

I put it on everything, Cordovan, excel, calf... and it looks awesome... no cracking.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You need to shake it before using. The consistency should be like that of ketchup.

I put it on everything, Cordovan, excel, calf... and it looks awesome... no cracking.

Thanks for the input. You just really have to shake the hell out of it at first. Mine separated out, but seems good now. I'm going to try in on some chromexcel.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread!

I do have a few questions:

• How long do you allow the Saphir cream to stay on shoe before buffing
  • How can I prevent wax build up in the brogue holes
  • I mistakenly picked up some yellow wax, what color shoes could this go with

Thanks

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread!
Thanks

1. 5-10 minutes or till dry.
2. shine from smooth leather areas towards broguing.
3. brown shoes.

Lear

Reaction score

Great thread!
Thanks

I lightly coat the first shoe with Saphir MdO cream. By the time I've done the second + 3 minute wait, I start buffing the first. I once made the mistake of leaving overnight. Found it set like cement. Got into the welt, seams etc.

Don't know about brogue holes (haven't any). Think I've heard of people using toothpicks though.

Yellow Saphir MdO wax is my favourite for very light browns (whiskey). It's quite harmless, in that it won't irreversibly darken your leather. I don't even see it as being yellow. More like a dash of sparkle for the lighter colours. Another interesting Saphir MdO is cognac. It's slightly darker than yellow.

Lear

Edit: Muji used to sell a toothpick - bought mine years ago - that had the usual pointed end + a perfectly rounded other end. Looked perfect in size for brogue holes. Came in a round plastic pack. Enough for a lifetime of shoe care.

Last edited:

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

I lightly coat the first shoe with Saphir MdO cream. By the time I've done the second + 3 minute wait, I start buffing the first. I once made the mistake of leaving overnight. Found it set like cement. Got into the welt, seams etc.
Don't know about brogue holes (haven't any). Think I've heard of people using toothpicks though.
Yellow Saphir MdO wax is my favourite for very light browns (whiskey). It's quite harmless, in that it won't irreversibly darken your leather. I don't even see it as being yellow. More like a dash of sparkle for the lighter colours. Another interesting Saphir MdO is cognac. It's slightly darker than yellow.
Lear

+1
With regards to brogueing a good buff with a horsehair brush should really be sufficient to get into the holes and displace the polish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads