**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Can someone who uses Venetian shoe cream advise on how to apply it? Also, what is the consistency supposed to be? Mine seems very thin and watery - is that normal? Does it need a good shake or something else to thicken it up a little bit? And do you just apply it with a cloth?

2. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I received a response from Kiwi in regard to the question of a difference in solvent ratio between neutral polish and colored polish:

"After checking with our experts, I can report that Neutral KIWI[​IMG] Paste polish contains the same amount of solvents as the other colors (brown, black, etc.). However, the solvent percentage of the White Paste Polish is slightly less than the other colors."

I was hoping for a more definitive answer, that would include both paste and cream, so I have submitted the question back to them in regard to cream.

As this is an answer from only one shoe polish maker (albeit one of the largest), Kirbya has been kind enough to inform me that he will check with the makers of Saphir on this topic as well.

3. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

You need to shake it before using. The consistency should be like that of ketchup.

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know. This explains it.

5. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Not saying you are going to, but don't be a dumb ass like me and use it on calf. looked great until I started wearing them, then looked like cracked glass.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

lol. thanks for the heads up! I probably would have done that...

7. ksteryous

ksteryous Member

Hey guys,

I just received some Saphir Cream in Bourdeux, and I think there's something wrong with it maybe. I also have the cream in black and it was very creamy and did wonders on my shoes. But the bourdeux was thick and stiff, almost like a wax?

Here's what happened...I treated my shoes with the Saphir Renovator, and they looked good....I then tried using a horse hair dauber for the first time (always used a cotton t-shirt before) to spread the cream, but it was so stiff that it just kind of caked on and was very streaky and dry. So much so, that I had a really hard time buffing it off with a brush.

What was left was a shoe that was very streaky and sticky....they looked awful. The next day I tried wiping them down as much as possible and reapplying the renovator to try and remove as much of the polish as possible.

Meanwhile, the dauber is now as stiff as possible, I think I might just go back to a cotton tee to apply the cream. But does it sound like I got a bad batch of cream?

Thanks,
    Kenton

8. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I have no real experience with Venetian shoe cream, could someone give me some insight into its purpose and why it would crack on calf versus whatever you would use it on (cordovan shell?).

Thanks.

9. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

I put it on everything, Cordovan, excel, calf... and it looks awesome... no cracking.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Thanks for the input. You just really have to shake the hell out of it at first. Mine separated out, but seems good now. I'm going to try in on some chromexcel.

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Great thread!

I do have a few questions:

• How long do you allow the Saphir cream to stay on shoe before buffing
    • How can I prevent wax build up in the brogue holes
    • I mistakenly picked up some yellow wax, what color shoes could this go with

Thanks

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

1. 5-10 minutes or till dry.
    2. shine from smooth leather areas towards broguing.
    3. brown shoes.

13. Lear

Lear Senior member

I lightly coat the first shoe with Saphir MdO cream. By the time I've done the second + 3 minute wait, I start buffing the first. I once made the mistake of leaving overnight. Found it set like cement. Got into the welt, seams etc.

Don't know about brogue holes (haven't any). Think I've heard of people using toothpicks though.

Yellow Saphir MdO wax is my favourite for very light browns (whiskey). It's quite harmless, in that it won't irreversibly darken your leather. I don't even see it as being yellow. More like a dash of sparkle for the lighter colours. Another interesting Saphir MdO is cognac. It's slightly darker than yellow.

Lear

Edit: Muji used to sell a toothpick - bought mine years ago - that had the usual pointed end + a perfectly rounded other end. Looked perfect in size for brogue holes. Came in a round plastic pack. Enough for a lifetime of shoe care.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

14. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

+1
    With regards to brogueing a good buff with a horsehair brush should really be sufficient to get into the holes and displace the polish.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, you shouldn't be caking that much of it on to really get stuck in the holes too much.