• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lady at Tricker's advised me thus: "The Production Office have advised me that you’ve purchased a Red Calf leather pair, not Cavalier. Therefore, this needs just the usual polish and care of regular leather shoes"

[The Cavalier are mostly boots and made of stuffed leather - my comment.]

I notice, though, that the red tan goes right the way through the leather. The insides are pretty much as red as the outers. .
Well, Munky, from what we're all told and seen, that's chrome tanned calf drum dyed.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is...given the nature of leather...how do you hot stuff a hide/side without the oils/waxes/greases moving from the flesh to the grain surface? The grain surface is not (except in the case of CG) an impervious barrier to the migration of those oils. It is porous. It is also why most, if not all, hot stuffed leathers are deemed "pull-up" to one degree or another.

From what I've seen over the years "hot-stuffed" leather and a "non-oily surface" are mutually exclusive.

--
Can the surface of the hide be glazed afterwards - or burnishing, as you'd like to put it - though?

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really know, Pat, many CXLs were coated with acrylics for attractive looks, or else the skill of the burnisher, or shoe shiner, is excellent (with you, I've got no doubts to high hopes).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With enough wax and patience you can make nearly anything mirror shine. It's the wax that is shining, not the leather.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was afraid the shiny wax finish would crack or flake off terribly. I've seen what happened, so I had the kind of phobia like you never know.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With enough wax and patience you can make nearly anything mirror shine. It's the wax that is shining, not the leather.

I do not know why but this exchange made me think of this ...sorry for the interuption

"Oh, you can milk just about anything with nipples"

"I have nipples Greg...could you milk me?"

Last edited:

Goodman

Reaction score
I would say Lexol, or Bickmore. Even the Hydrator/Fatiliquor Leather Doctor system. You don't want to oversaturate them because the diff fibers will just come apart easier.

I assume that answer was intended for me. Thanks for the response. I will recommend the Lexol as it is convenient and straightforward. Still glad I asked as I was thinking just really saturate them with Lexol as the leather would be "thirsty." Will recommend it be used judiciously.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can the surface of the hide be glazed afterwards - or burnishing, as you'd like to put it - though?

First, as I've known it, man and boy, burnishing is only done on (can only be done on) vegetable tanned leather. It is a process of dampening the leather and then rubbing with a super smooth bone or piece of hard and fine grained wood until the leather is dry (or all but) and shines like a mirror. Sometimes you can do it with canvas or glass. But wood and bone is what I've always used. Just as good beer has only three ingredients---barley, water and hops, so too burnishing has only three ingredients--veg tanned leather, water and bone.

[BTW oiling or greasing leather that has been burnished will destroy the shine]

Second, I don't know when the optimal point for top finishing (glazing) a leather would be (I'm not even sure what "glazing" means--it's not a term that is ordinarily associated with leather, in my experience as a shoemaker).

Obviously, the cavalier has an opaque top finish. And I suspect it would be difficult to apply if the leather was oily...so perhaps hot stuffing is done after the leather is top finished. But top finishing is not burnishing and in my understanding usually involves a coating on the grain surface of the leather such as an acrylic wax or, like CG, a plastic film bonded to the grain. That said, most of these top finishes are at least somewhat porous as well (only the CG would be impenetrable) so esp. with flexing, the oils will tend to surface despite the top finish.

All of this ties into why I am leery of putting any non-homogenized, viscous, heavy (or light) oil on fine calf. The oil remains resident in the leather over a long period of time. Additional applications tend to be cumulative. It will tend to surface where the leather is flexed. It will collect dirt. It will impede a shine...depending on the rigour of your definition of shine ("gleam" is not shine in mine).

I believe CXL can be mirror shined...as pB said, it's the wax that's shining. I suspect that, ultimately, it's a waste of time.

--

Last edited:

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, DW, about the CXL shine thing.

How about hot stuffed veg tanned leather being machine glazed - rolling smooth glass rod rolled over the hide?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads