1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

No of course not. No ingredient list.

And FWIW, I've called Lexol several times asking about ingredients. They were not helpful...might be one of the reasons I prefer Bick4. Bickmore at least told me what wasn't in it--silicone.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  3. chogall

chogall Senior member

I am here to question and learn.

So tell me, what's wrong with me questioning pB making unverified and untested claims and asking for verifications? Are you a stout supporter of shoot first, raise and aim later?

From my observation, you tend to favor discrediting other people instead of their talking points/experiences. Your experiences and insight are great in the cases where they directly apply. Unfortunately when they don't or in conflict with other's experiences, you still throw them around to back up your pseudo science. Case-in-point, flushed metal toe taps.

4. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh....I didn't think you could. Would have been nice if you were able to.Thanks for trying though.
    I guess this puts Lexol in the dirty rotten swine group for some.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

How are they unverified when I got them from leather chemists? Because I didn't personally test them? Wouldn't make sense to, I am not a chemist.

Why are you so insistent on supporting saddle soap, when you yourself never tested it? At the same time you're so insistent on saying I am wrong, when I have actually done leg work to gather information. I think you've been using the stuff and telling others to use it and know it isn't the best option, but are afraid to admit it.

6. patrickBOOTH

Didn't Bickmore say there is less than 0.1% of silicone for "emulsion" purposes?

7. DWFII

Well, not to me...not that I remember. Not on the phone, IOW. And I have had no other contact with them...although it did take three tries to finally get something from them.

If they told you that, then maybe they deceived me.

8. DWFII

I am not going to pursue this...but I felt it necessary to answer you here.

I have watched pB make a concerted effort to find out why his shoes were cracking. Not to bolster his own preconceived opinions but to find out. He not only admitted that his expensive shoes cracked but he worked, he earned, he went to some trouble to find answers that were objective and as definitive as they could be. That's true willingness to learn...not just mouthing the words.

As I said, in a previous post, I don't know anyone who knows why shoes...some made with the world's finest leathers...crack. Nor do I know anyone who has gone to the effort to find out the way pB has.

I respect that. I still don't know for sure if his conclusions are true or partly true or not true at all but I respect it. His efforts, his observations and conclusions...and his willingness to share them...are positive contributions to this forum

I don't respect people who have never made a similar effort coming along and contradicting his remarks with nothing other than pipe dreams and phantasms to support their assertions.

And I damn sure will discredit contentious people who don't have any reason to be contentious beyond sheer orneriness.

You're not contributing anything positive.

edited for punctuation and clarity

1 person likes this.
  9. DWFII

I don't know that I would go that far. But...as I have been insisting all along...it's reason to hold a little back and not be a gullible shill for them.

Skepticism is one of the hallmarks of an open mind.

10. patrickBOOTH

It was you! :)

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

What I've learned in the last couple of days here: chogall is a troll. Will enable the "ignore" function here next time I'm in my PC.

2 people like this.
  12. DWFII

I remember that now! Wasn't it you that posted the link to the AMA interview?

Take my advice, don't get old.

Now where did I leave my wife?

:tinfoil:

13. patrickBOOTH

I don't think they are dirty rotten swine. They gladly told me the pH of their product, which was awesome. As an emulsified product with an acidic pH it is still a more informed option than products that you don't have any real information about.

I tend to like emulsified conditioners because they aren't as easily over used. The water content evaporates whereas using oils and such as conditioners it is easy to overdo it. The upside is they have no pH. So which is better? YMMV.

1 person likes this.
  14. patrickBOOTH

I don't think I posted the AMA, but in that AMA they said they don't use coconut oil, which has recently become a popular product ingredient in shoe care products. They claimed it "dried" out the leather.

Scientific claims have had logical reasoning for using it though, namely the oxidative stability of the oil.

15. MonotovsOpera

MonotovsOpera Well-Known Member

Bickmore's claim was made by someone in the PR department, who had no experience working with the product itself, and who did not provide any details on how the experiment was carried out.

On an unrelated note, can we stop this bickering? As entertaining as it is, it's just making you all look bad.

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

The results look outstanding. Thanks for the tip pb and nice work ktown. Has anyone tried this with shell cordovan?

1 person likes this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

I'm glad it worked. I have done it with shell in the past with success.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks using the same ratio? 1 part vinegar 3 parts water? and would you simply apply to a clean rag? i was considering an old toothbrush but fear that might be too abrasive

19. Stemo79

Stemo79 Senior member

Why be rude?

Trying to take a light hearted approach and see things from both perspectives surely isn't a bad thing.

I thought the whole point of discussions were to offer thoughts and opinions, I also clearly stated that they were only thoughts to consider. If they had no merit then just say "that's wrong because...." I'm more than happy to accept facts and learn from people that have a better understanding of the science behind things.

Rebuking me over "sloppy" language just makes you look like an arrogant ass especially when I haven't attacked you and just for the record after having to read all this aggravated nonsense you are just as guilty of the pig headishness and ignorance you accuse others of.

How a lot of you are still able to continue this bickering and not have a suspension is beyond me, I said one thing wrong ages ago and got my wrists slapped so iI learned my lesson, maybe you should try that?

Anyway back to the topic, all I know is that I've used saddle soap occasionally on a few pairs of shoes, a dasco spray and the saphir one, years on and they're still fine and haven't cracked, split, disintegrated or self destructed after 30 seconds. So whatever the consensus is I know from the experience of using it the way I do that nothing bad has happened. Over and out.

1 person likes this.
  20. benhour

benhour Senior member

Let's get back on shinning!! [​IMG]i had some free time and I gave a promise to try mirror shine woven shoes so here we are :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i cant show exactly how it reflects object cause of the curves at the woven part but i think you can get an idea !

1 person likes this.