• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lexol as a conditioner would be nice.

If you want to go bold, apply neutral cream and then neutral wax afterwards. It really kicks the effect. Or else, go for light tan.

bradp

Reaction score
thanks. I'm not all that familiar with reno vs. lexol. is there a reason lexol is a better choice for museum calf?

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Museum is just a finish. Almost all calfs (except crust calf) are alike to each other.

Lexol is better because it won't sit. Reno is too much a polish.

Try do further reading if you can. MUCH further back.

bradp

Reaction score
thanks. seems like I shouldn't worry about "ruining" the finish based on what you're saying if I stick with mainstream products.

and yes I see quite a debate about reno. but what do you mean by lexol "won't sit." (it seems many object to reno because it's too polish-like and will crack your uppers.)

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that Reno cracks your upper. It won't nourish properly.

Lexol, if applied on un-polished leather, will absorb well inside, and will nourish the shoes as needed.

waynewei

Reaction score
HI man, I got same condition with your shoes as the toe seem rougher and cannot be polished.when I applied wax, it will be absorbed and getting darker. I was wondering how do u handle it finally? thanks!

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps try to remove and rebuild the finish with all what you've got...

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These museum calf carminas are on their way to me: http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/products/carmina-oxford-in-museum-calf

Can I assume it's still a good fall back to use saphir reno or is there a different conditioner I should use?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on what color polish I should be using for the museum calf?

Lexol or Bick 4 would be the way to go I think. But some museum calf-skins lose their finish a bit easily, so I would use small amounts of conditioner to start with

bradp

Reaction score
Thanks. Is the defining difference from Reno the mink oil?

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Museum is sorta semi-antique, isn't it? Damn antiquing, they're some of the hardest to work with. Sometimes I asked myself whether to **** them up or to try and preserve the finish itself.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Isn't museum calf aniline? It'd be rather difficult to lose the finish.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazon has the wipes and with Prime shipping. Just as good or stick to the liquid?

Don't ever use wipes because they leave lints all over the surface. Furthermore, you can always regulate the amount with a cloth and the product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics