• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound a bit OCD. I suggest you buy a car. Do yourself and your shoes a favor.
I recall you used to have a post saying that driving ruins shoes :D

I have a Chevy. But, hell, Pat, after having a near fatal heart attack, I'm all with moving around to spend all the fat in my blood.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no fool like an old fool. A good few weeks ago I bought a nice pair of Chester's 1880's, Buckingham brogues. I have recommended using Renapur, on here, before. It contains 'all natural' ingredients, such as Beeswax, Jojoba oil and so on. I decided to put a very thin coat on my brand new shoes. Opinions vary on the issue of doing anything to new shoes. Now, using GlenKaren cream, I can't develop that deep sheen that usually comes with this product. The shoes seem to remain a pleasant matte. It wasn't really what I was aiming at, though. Are there any suggestions as to how I could return to a more normal finish? I think it may be time to get myself into a twilight home for the terminally bewildered. Yours, as always, Munky. PS. Go easy with the Reapur.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There is no fool like an old fool.  A good few weeks ago I bought a nice pair of Chester's 1880's, Buckingham brogues. I have recommended using Renapur, on here, before. It contains 'all natural' ingredients, such as Beeswax, Jojoba oil and so on. I decided to put a very thin coat on my brand new shoes. Opinions vary on the issue of doing anything to new shoes. Now, using GlenKaren cream, I can't develop that deep sheen that usually comes with this product. The shoes seem to remain a pleasant matte. It wasn't really what I was aiming at, though. Are there any suggestions as to how I could return to a more normal finish?  I think it may be time to get myself into a twilight home for the terminally bewildered. Yours, as always, Munky.  PS. Go easy with the Reapur. 

Beeswax gleams, it doesn't shine. Jojoba is a fairly viscous / "sticky" oil.

My advice would be to use GK conditioner to remove both. The orange oil would seem tailor made for this. Then when everything has had a chance to "settle down," try the creams instead.

Crude oil is natural, too. FWIW....

--

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I recall you used to have a post saying that driving ruins shoes :D

I have a Chevy. But, hell, Pat, after having a near fatal heart attack, I'm all with moving around to spend all the fat in my blood.
Driving isn't nearly as bad for shoes as you are apparently.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beeswax gleams, it doesn't shine. Jojoba is a fairly viscous / "sticky" oil.

My advice would be to use GK conditioner to remove both. The orange oil would seem tailor made for this. Then when everything has had a chance to "settle down," try the creams instead.

Crude oil is natural, too. FWIW....

--

Thanks for this, DW. I will see what GK conditioner does. I realise that 'natural' comes with a lot of baggage! Hope you are well.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know DW, in my experience the GlenKaren conditioner is very, very oily and while it does pick up wax it imparts a lot of oil, which might make it harder to get a shine.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mr. Booth is correct about this, the conditioner is an excellent cleaner for older shoes but does leave an oily residue behind. I've taken buffing with a felt cloth after letting it dry. it normally takes 2 or 3 rounds with the cloth to remove it but even then the leather will take a shine but not a brilliant finish

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't know DW, in my experience the GlenKaren conditioner is very, very oily and while it does pick up wax it imparts a lot of oil, which might make it harder to get a shine.

mr. Booth is correct about this, the conditioner is an excellent cleaner for older shoes but does leave an oily residue behind. I've taken buffing with a felt cloth after letting it dry. it normally takes 2 or 3 rounds with the cloth to remove it but even then the leather will take a shine but not a brilliant finish

OK...I'll defer to both of you. I have the GK conditioner, and use it occasionally but in the long scheme of things it's relatively new and untested here in this shop. Just thought the orange oil would be a perect foil / solvent for the jojoba.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DW, Nick,

I know I'm nothing more than a little brat **** for you two, but I hope you both, as seniors, would consider my words. I know you two would listen, therefore, please do...

Sincerely,
Travers.

Really Copeland II?? You think you can quell this with a plea? Two knowledgeable professionals disagree...they are the only ones with a dog in this.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Straight orange oil, for sure, but the conditioner, imo is too oily if your shoes are already "too oily".

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, gents, if not GK products, what would you recommend? I know that this is a perennial theme, but its is always worth rehearsing.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really Copeland II?? You think you can quell this with a plea? Two knowledgeable professionals disagree...they are the only ones with a dog in this.
You stop call me copeland before I further lost my respect for you. I am sick of it.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving isn't nearly as bad for shoes as you are apparently.
Oh well, IDRK, I guess I cannot spend more money on life anyway, coz if I get on the habit of driving, I'll be so lazy, a heart attack is so close to take place

GK conditioner is damn oily, and with what I did, I use a cloth and apply really light coat. I happened to use an applicator once, and I had to left it on the shoes overnite. It takes lots of working for the product, even when the amount is little.

Straight orange oil, for sure, but the conditioner, imo is too oily if your shoes are already "too oily".
I used it on my greased calfskin, but only when the surface is no longer greasy, and the amount of grease worked in prior is very sparing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads