**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Wait until they do the 'buy 1 get 2 free' deal. $25 for 3 pairs.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The one in New York City carries Woodlore instead.

3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

You used it to remove water stains, and it worked? How did the aftermath look?

4. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Yeah - got caught in one of those rainstorms where the cabs were all taken with 20 blocks to go. Thought the nutmeg colored PS/GMP Fitzwilliams were trashed on their maiden voyage. Came home, let them dry for a few days on one of those Hamilton Beach clothes drying racks that blows air. They had dark stains from the expected crap that was on the NYC streets mixed with the rain.

Did some research here and tried the water vinegar mixture with cotton balls (Thanks again SF!). Amazingly, the stains went away after three tries of the following:
    - Slightly (don't soak the cotton) dipped one cotton ball to get just enough of the solution and rubbed it into the stains,
    - Then used two to three clean cotton balls to rub the stain and "soak it up".
    - Let dry overnight - again on that HB clothes dryer
    - Repeat as necessary (3x for me)

Over the course of the next week put two heavy coats of Lexol (let each application soak for about two hours, brushed off the residue then let them dry for a day and again brushed off the residue), followed by two light coats of light brown Saphir creme that I let soak in for a half a day before brushing off, followed by three light coats of light brown Saphir MD'o wax. They are once again kick ass. Should have taken before and after pics, but was pissed off before and doubtful it was gonna work. So the afters would be kinda useless.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Awesome, thanks for the guide, bookmarked for later! :slayer:

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Why this thread not sticky yet? Unbelieve.

7. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Can somebody summarize what Sysdoc's mirror shine method was? Searching old threads on mirror shine, it seemed to work very well.

Additional question: When attempting a mirror shine, does one put on multiple coats of wax or a single coat and rub repeatedly with multiple drops of water? It seems like I've read people doing both methods.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  8. chogall

chogall Senior member

Not sure about sysdoc's method.

Single coat, spit/water sprinkle, bring out the shine, dry, repeat. Initially, more wax, little water. Latter layers, more water, little wax.

Saphir wax is pretty easy to bring out a mirror without any tricks. Non-saphir wax (kiwi), you can mix a bit of alcohol to your water dish to help breaking down the wax. Some heat/warm up their waxes, same thing.

9. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I've gotten the toe caps to become pretty polished, but it's not getting to a mirror shine and I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. My method is:

Rub old t-shirt in wax. Dip in water. Rub onto toe cap. Wait 10 mins. Rub continously using clean spot on t-shirt. (Maybe I need to buff with a softer piece of cloth instead?) Repeat.

I've done this about 10 times and it looks like this: [​IMG]

10. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

After a while, I only breath hot air on the caps to create the mirror. Too much water and you will ruin everything.

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

gotta keep your cloth dry. if you wrap your cloth around 3 fingers, use your pinky finger for drops of water.

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I was under the impression that you're supposed to apply wax along with water in order to help the wax harden faster. Am I supposed to add another drop of water during the part where I'm rubbing the wax after it has hardened?

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

Can't raise shine if your cloth is too wet, in my experience.

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

The water just serves as a lubricant to reduce the amount of friction between rag and shoe.

There are many ways to use it.

1.) dip rag in water to get just a drop of water on the rag, dip rag in wax, apply
    2.) apply wax and rub until the dullness starts to disappear, put one or two drops of water on the toe and then rub until shine appears

If you are not to mirror after 10 coats it is probably because you have too much moisture and polish applied too quickly.

WAIT OVERNIGHT to let things settle down/dry. You'll find that things will go much quicker at this point.

15. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Not much of a mirror shine fan.
    I think the contrast between a regular polished shoe and an extremely shiny toe caps looks odd.
    In my opinion your shoes look lovely as they are.
    What are those? C&J Belgrave?