1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

At a certain point...beyond the fundamentals--the really important stuff from my POV, IOW...it's down to personal aesthetics and what you want to spend. But you know all that.

Don't look for advice on these kinds of things--they're subjective and superficial--all you'll get is someone else's favourite shoes.

2 people like this.
  2. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

I was thinking more of leather quality, general thickness, accuracy of punching on broguing etc wasn't looking for advice on aesthetics.

3. DWFII

At any given price point, there's probably very little difference.

What difference there is in one area might be balanced in another.

But the same considerations about aesthetics apply to much of what you mentioned. Some people will notice and be offended by uneven broguing. Others won't---won't even see it when it's pointed out. Leather thickness varies according to the type of leather and the intended usage.

But be careful...you're starting to get a little too inquisitive for your own long term comfort or satisfaction. Next thing you know, you'll be wanting to know what leatherboard is. :lol:

That's a joke, son.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  4. aglose

aglose Senior member

Wanted to see if there is anything I can do about this. It's a pair of shell shoes, brand new. If nothing can be done, I will explore my options for returning them or possible discounts.
    [​IMG]
    It's on the vamp of the right shoe (left of the picture)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's a close up.

5. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

Thank you for your replies [​IMG]

6. DWFII

I'd just use bick4 and keep 'em clean

7. DWFII

It's a rip/damage to the leather. Nothing can make it whole. Return them if possible. Look at shoes you buy more carefully.

8. aglose

aglose Senior member

They were shipped from Vass direct so I didn't have a chance to examine them in person. The dangers of buying shoes from different countries I suppose.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

I have dissection pictures of EG and G&G if you fancy those.

GC is supposedly to be hand welted, but I have not seen any dissection pictures of them.

10. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

I thought there was some bruhaha because Cleverley stated their rtw and semi bespoke shoes were hand welted, and some knowledgeable parties suggested that was a marketing lie. I bring this up only to recount the assertions, not to come down on one side or the other.

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

GC does claim their RTW being hand welted but I have never seen any third party verification.

Their shoes does look similar to shoes made by EG or AS from the sole.

12. LJR1

LJR1 New Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to SF, though have spent the last ~ 2 months reading this thread, and have learned quite a bit through others' experience (particularly that less is more with regards to share care product application). I much appreciate that.

I am also relatively new to quality footwear, with my collection reflecting that: 1 JLP, 1 EG, several AEs (and worse). I have two questions regrading JLP that I hope you may assist me with:

1) Cream and wax options for JLP pewter museum (outside of JLP products).

2) How comparable is the fit between JLP's 7000 and 8000 lasts? What are the major differences? If the fit from a 7000 last is good (at least to my untrained feel), can I expect the same from the 8000 last?

Kind regards,

jack

13. Xman11815

Xman11815 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys

14. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Talking about shoe brushes. My opinion:

[​IMG]

15. Munky

Munky Senior member

Comment removed and apologies for my being rude.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  16. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

How exciting do you really expect shoe brushes to be?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Could you post the dissection pics here?

18. DWFII

Well, somebody here obviously extracts useful information from these things.

The ones I've seen posted in the past were in Japanese and apparently scanned from pages of a magazine at such low resolution that you couldn't see the components to determine what they were.

[​IMG]

???

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  19. Evsty

Evsty New Member

One of my new pairs of museum calf Vass has developed some scuffs on the toe and I'm not sure the best course of action. I had polished the toe to a nice glassy shine and thought it would have protected it a bit more but I guess I kicked the curb a little too hard. What's the best way of repairing the scuff mark? My other question is....how do I keep up with the polish job? Do I have to strip the shoe from all of the wax or can I just re-apply some coats to the toe to keep the nice shine? This is the first time I've attempted that glass toe look but now I have no idea how to upkeep. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That japanese one was the one where they claimed G&G's has some sort of "mesh" in-between the upper and lining in the vamp section for reinforcement. Who knows what they could mean. Could be a translation issue. I'm just curious, that's all.