1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. benhour

benhour Senior member

Berners pls can you and your mate stop shit storming this thread?

You find usefull to "steal" a photo of GG from tumblr and ask a question for pair you dont own and with no possibilities to obdane? + trolling all the way from start, DrMartens really?

6 people like this.
  2. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Senior member

Leaving it on the poor bloody fish would have been the best way to look after it rather than the atrocious monstrosity that the skin leant itself to frankly.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior member

Any ideas how I could create this kind of patina on a plain brown loafer? Is it possible to create with 2 shades of Saphir cream, or would I need proper leather dye?

[​IMG]

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I have no idea how that particular shoe was done but I've achieved similar results with an airbrush and acrylic dye. A technique that comes straight from the factory.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stripping them and using leather dye is the proper way to do it, but it depends on the finish already on them and your patience with the process and risk tolerance (possibly screwing up your shoes). In general shoe polished will change the color of your shoes, but it happens slowly over time. If you try to just glob a bunch of polish on at once they will be resistant to shine and an utter mess.

1 person likes this.
  6. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

DWFII - I know it's not really the right forum but as you're about at the moment, can I pick your brain please and thank you.
    Thinking only of Oxfords and thinking of costing less than £1000, which in your opinion is the best investment (construction and quality wise) between, Edward Green, George Cleverley or Gaziano and Girling

7. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

Quite true, very difficult to change the colour of a shoe overly much with just polish.

8. patrickBOOTH

My guess is he is going to say they are all probably about the same being that they are all goodyear welted.

At this price point I would suggest the "best" is what fits you the best.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. Xman11815

Xman11815 Well-Known Member

10. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

I have an EG Inverness, and it's a beautiful wingtip balmoral that I like a lot. But I wouldn't buy it if you're looking for a "first pair" of dress shoes. The EG Chelsea, as a black captoe balmoral, is a better "first pair" with navy/charcoal suits (at least between the two options you listed).

11. patrickBOOTH

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Every man should have at least one black captoe oxford and the EG Chelsea is a great solid choice. For brown I would recommend taking a look at the EG Asquith. The EG Inverness in burgundy makes a great burgundy faux wingtip.

13. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Dark oak Berkeley or Canterbury trump Asquith in my opinion. Simplicity and no broguing on the toe keeps everything clean and formal.

14. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

That is kind of what I'd figured by experience and reading blogs - I have a fondness for G&G styles on MH71 - but much respect for GC and EG - just wondered as he pulls them apart if I should lean in one direction or the other.

15. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

I agree, but have you looked at Asquith on an 888 last yet - Perhaps my favourite EG's

16. benhour

benhour Senior member

the easy way (if the starting color is tan or light brown) is adding dark brown wax (not paste polish) at the areas you want or see at the photo! then buff with a brush! if the result is what you want stick to it else add some more wax and buff again !! with this way the transaction from color to color ll be smoother and it ll give more depth at the color!
    this is the best way to go but if you havent a basic experience of using an airbrush it ll probably end like a mess ! (airbrush (especially the gravity feeded) tend to spit the color that trapped at the tip of the needle of the airbrush , a suction feeded one for this cause would be a better choice ))

summery of both ways! i have made a post with a pair i changed color and antiqued in the shoe damage thread! always happy to help! [​IMG]

17. DWFII

pB, Well, you make a very good point but not one that would have come immediately to mind--however, it's always there in the background, aye?

My response is that I simply don't disparage or recommend one brand or one maker or even one manufacturer over another.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...or trying to.

1 person likes this.
  18. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

No real difference in quality under the shiny wrappers then?

19. DWFII

Wasn't this post addressed to you?

I thought it spoke to the issue pretty well.

edited for punctuation and clarity

20. Berners15

Berners15 Senior member

I guess so really - didn't know if there was any other considerations - but guess not