1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Come on...with all due respect...don't insult our intelligence. It never occurred to you all that comparing him to David Copeland over and over again might be offensive to him? Even after he told you it was offensive? Way early as I recall.

Man up, aye?

Or, at least, let it go.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

You've basically made this comment twice. I haven't taken any chemistry in almost ten years, but if you'd like to comment on this in further detail, I'd be very happy to read what you have to say.

2 people like this.
  3. benhour

benhour Senior member

First of all , welcome to the thread (if i am not mistaken this is your first post here) !

Generally you can mirror shine even with the worst wax-polish , its just taking ages to perform! I have mirror shined a friends pair using a 1 euro wax! After the time required there is the final result that is slightly different from brand to brand!! Some waxes give a long lasting and glassy finish ((really smooth and hard surface) Collonil 1909 wax, probably GKaren high shine but i have to mention that i havent used it and judging only from the results i have seen, maybe Patrick help on that)) but it's harder to work with and need some experience . On the other hand there is waxes that produce a faster result but a little softer and duller finish(mirror but not as good as the previous results) (Saphir, standard kiwi) !

Finally i cant be sure but Burgol's paste polish and daubers look like re-branded Saphir (old Saphir jars its a common policy of saphir for re-branded products , old jars 100ml -new ones 75ml)

welcome again[​IMG]

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

Quote:
    @traverscao reminded me of Dave Coppeland when he first appear on the forum; their mildly mannered passive aggressive posting styles are eerily similar. But then I realized they were probably not the same guy. Other than that, I only called him out on his sometimes eccentric if not horrible shoe and shoe care recommendations, including grease on leather, dissing Corthay, etc. Despite rarely acknowledging his recommendation being awful sometimes, @traverscao was a good troll, a good sport.

No idea why @traverscao made his atypical and out of character post, violently snapping at @Berners15, especially when the latter wasn't targeting the former. Interestingly enough, @traverscao did call @Berners15 Dave Coppeland. Passing the baton perhaps?

1 person likes this.
  5. benhour

benhour Senior member

I use grease on leather too !! Not only shoes btw ...........[​IMG]

We ll never agree on that matter hahaaha

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Why can't bespoke be for the masses? And if build on the same construction specification, how do you determine it to be lesser quality?

We all learn from imitations; and at this day and age, those who are imitating are surpassing the imitated.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well it hasn't happened yet. That's kind of the point.

8. chogall

chogall Senior member

In summary.
    Me: how to make it happen, and can it be done economically.
    pB: it hasn't happened yet.
    DWFII: impossible, kills the craft, promotes mediocrity, and displaces shoemakers.

1 person likes this.
  9. DWFII

I suppose...on an individual basis...bespoke can be for the masses. But that's nearly an incomprehensible concept and hard to think about much less express. The masses are the masses because they more or less act as a group not as individuals.

You're getting in over your head here, if you will forgive me saying so. "Same construction specification" as what? Compared to what? You can look at handwelted work and see a significant difference in quality and reliability and strength in both techniques and materials versus GY. That's how you determine quality...be it lesser or greater--the nature and character of the materials and the techniques.

Simply not true. Pretty words but sophistry nonetheless. Just because you can string those words together in a sentence doesn't confer any validity at all. In fact, that's almost the original criteria for deception...even if it's only self-deception.

And even if it were true...what a treat!!--faking fakery. Posing as a poseur. Imitation faux leather.

I'm gonna get me some.

edited for punctuation and clarity

10. DWFII

You: Magical thinking. Pipe dreams. No background or in depth of understanding (by your own admission) of how to make it happen much less whether it is even feasible.
    pB: I'll let him speak for himself.
    DW: OK. I'll buy that. It doesn't seem possible to introduce nuances of meaning to you nor to point out the vantage and advantage that I enjoy by virtue of decades of experience. So hey, colour me "guilty as charged." It's easier that way.

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

[​IMG]

For real shop in Turkey.

12. DWFII

On edit...

Naw...I don't want to get into this.

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I have stated the proposition twice. But you just keep mistating it. I will dumb it down further.

DW: when I think of a great idea, I dont care whether the masses adopt or benefit from it.
    Me: truly great ideas will be adopted by the masses, shit ideas will not. So it makes no sense to ignore the masses.
    DW: show me examples of great ideas coming from the masses.
    Me: Huh???

DW, there really is no point talking to you. 40 years of experience has just gummed up your mind. To the extent that you need a forum to vent. would have been fine if you confine your views to shoemaking, and not venture into areas where you are clearly out of your depth.

14. Stemo79

Stemo79 Senior member

Dw you keep trying to justify travs outburst, prodding a cat? Are we cats? Animals, base creatures with no control? If you're that bloody pathetic that you lose your temper over flippant internet comments then I seriously fear for not only your well being but those around you.

Grow up, lighten up and get a life. Amen.

15. benhour

benhour Senior member

Really useful David Coplands (f... he made his name stay in history.....) come in this thread and shit storming just trying to pick up fights!!! Really really useful indeed

16. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Can anyone direct me to the SF thread related to shoe care? I seem to have reached the wrong one.

1 person likes this.
  17. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

I did not personally appreciate his contributions and I know you (@Munky) wisely and repeatedly suggested that he spend more time listening/reading and less time commenting. (My paraphrasing.) To this point I believe he could have benefitted from that advice.

However, I did end up muting his comments or whatever it's called and that was acceptable for me.

18. DWFII

You're right, forget the cats...

You now, that's another story. It didn't take but a "moment in time" to provoke you into an argumentum ad hominem and loss of control. And I wasn't even trying-- I didn't call names or question your character or use coarse language.

2 people like this.
  19. chogall

chogall Senior member

1. There are lower priced hand welted shoes out there. Meermin being one of them.

2. There are retail companies doing last adjustments, Saint Crispins being one of them. And their key ingredient isn't better-made lasts but physical trunk shows for fitting and/or measuring sessions.

If we marry 1 and 2, and replace the fitter (most probably not shoemakers for these retail operations) with 3D scanning machine+algorithm, viola, we get affordable and good fitting shoes.

Keep in mind that these are not going to be made better than top notch bespoke, nor they will fit better than top notch bespoke. But most bespoke shoemakers aint top notch either. And Saint Crispin's fit, while not great, is still better than RTW guesstimate.

20. eljimberino

eljimberino Senior member

Newby question here:

Have recently embarked on higher quality shoe/boot expedition. All the shoes are fairly new, so haven't ventured into soap/conditioner territory yet. Don't have any coloured creams so am restricted to wax polish in flat tins. Always brush before polishing.

At times, and depending on the part of the shoe, the polishing cloth, with the small amount of polish on it, darkens. Other parts of the shoe do not darken the cloth.

My question is: is this dirt or am I removing the layer of pre-existing wax polish?

Should I be focused on how the shoe ends up looking and/or what the cloth picks up in the polishing process?