1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. dylanh99

dylanh99 Member

Here Here!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

sorry for the accidental double post.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. AlphaDad

AlphaDad Active Member

Hello All,

Since I started conditioning my leather shoes, I've been using Renovateur, however I've read in this thread that it's conditioning properties may be limited.

The more I read this thread and others there are 4 or so conditioners that are recommended: Renovateur, Collonil, Bick 4, and Venetian.

Typically, each conditioner is supported by a statement like: "it's what the manufacturer recommends," or "it works for me."

So my question, does anyone have long term results of using one of the conditioners above? I know the results may be skewed by other products used on the shoe, but I imagine conditioning the shoes are a foundation, so it's use would heavily dictate the condition: good or bad.

If no long term results are available, does anyone have any other fact to recommend one product over the other, beyond the reasons I listed above.

Thanks,

3. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

For calfskin, I used Renovateur exclusively for 6 years. I recently switched to Bick4 based on DW's recommendation and must say that it is much better at conditioning. The difference is immediately apparent, particularly on hard to care for calfskin such as shipwreck Russian Calf. The leather is much better hydrated.

Reno has a better finish when buffed, but for me, that's not what a conditioner is for.

3 people like this.
  4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I switched from reno to bick 4 about 2 years ago but even that I use sparingly. I use a less is more approach.

2 people like this.
  5. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

It is best whenever you can invest in a little experiment. Each product perform differently from one to another, therefore take time and experience, and work with the one you are most comfortable with.

I am still experimenting between Bick, Lexol's series (normal line and Neatsfoot line), and some others. It is best to avoid anything with too much wax content or is with petroleum distillates, although, within that regard, GlenKaren's conditioner is one of the best out there.

Whatever works for many others may fall into bad taste for certain individuals. Therefore, suggestions, recommendations, and positive comments should never leave the realm of "influence", because it matters more on what you put on your shoes - I am perfectly comfortable using raw oils and greases on my shoes, but I cannot tell if other people are, and I cannot force them, because it is their shoes, and they should not follow my advice, or if they are not comfortable with it.

The use of conditioners on leather should be dictated by environment, material, tannage, finishes, and usage. The amount of conditioner used, especially, should be further regulated. A wax sealant is necessary for most of the time, although heavy use of wax can impede breathability, so balance it out is always nice.

The process can be time consuming, but rest assure that it can be pleasant and fun, one way or another.

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

It also highly depends on what kind of leather. I would use neatsfoot on chromexcel and vegetable tanned leathers for example but not on other leathers.

7. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Neatsfoot oil... as in Lexol's, or pure Neatsfoot?

8. phototristan

Either. I like the Lexol Neatsfoot as it's not quite as greasy and smelly. But I've used pure neatsfoot oil before too.

9. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Aye. Neatsfoot oil, pure, by itself, can smell horrible. Try cod oil, if you feel comfy.

10. phototristan

The Lexol Neatsfoot is good stuff. No scent at all.

1 person likes this.
  11. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Smells like Neatsfoot, water, and soy emulsifier, FWIW.

12. dylanh99

dylanh99 Member

[​IMG]

Considering buying these. Alden shell cordovan loafers. I'm a little concerned about that wave in the leather just above the heel area. Do you guys think it's a problem? Can these be made beautiful?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  13. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Get a resole, if you feel uncomfortable.

14. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Any opinions on the relative versatility in a suede Chelsea of a medium vs a dark brown?

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

Suede chukka. Smooth skin Chelsea.

1 person likes this.
  16. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

^ This

17. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

See below

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  19. Munky

Munky Senior member

Boston. What I am going to suggest is heresy. If you haven't bought your walking shoes yet, consider Nike Airmax'. They are comfortable from day one and stay comfortable over cobbles, long walks and so on. If your planned walks are imminent and you don't have time to wear in your shoe, do consider these. In a trip to NYC, Mystic and Boston, I wore them all the time. No one seemed to have lost consciousness as a result. No one died. No bespoke shoe maker went out of business.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  20. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Nike Airmax? Nah- New balance fresh foam. ;)