1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. rjonea

rjonea Well-Known Member

So I found a pair of Florsheim Imperials I am thinking about picking up, but someone glued an insole on top of the Florsheim insole. Is there something safe I can use to get the glue/padding off of the factory inole?

2. mw313

mw313 Senior member

i know what you mean and that is a shame. I'm still in my 20's but I guess I am the extreme minority to be going for high end QUALITY shoes, not to mention taking such good care of them.

there is no need to look for fashion if you learn your style. Style can hold up for many years vs the brief time for fashion.

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

YMMV, for office workers or suburban warriors that sounds excessive.

The only sure way to prolong shoes useful life is to have a lot of them.

4. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

If you choose quantity over quality, your choice, but for what I know, having too much of them doesn't do much good either. Five pairs of quality shoes? Reasonable number. However, anything beyond 10 pairs is only absurd. Twenty pairs of shoes that lacks of quality? Tough luck.

5. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Other than that, if I had to choose, I would have two pairs of bespoke shoes from DW, wearing in rotation, and that is it. Keep them clean, as per necessary, make them look sharp, and they can go on for a century plus, I guarantee.

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yes. 5-10 wears for polish. 5-10 months more like it for "conditioning". A quick brush after wearing is 90% of shoe maintenance in my world: a stiff brush on the sole and welt to knock any grit out, and a tickle of horsehair on the upper. They're shoes, not children. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  7. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Depends on the climate, conditioning more frequent is more beneficial than polishing. Even so, 5 to 10 wears for polish is too frequent.

8. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

And you are right about hard wearing. If a pair of shoes was heavily conditioned, I would expect to walk more miles in it as well.

9. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Hope you reach a 100 years in good health like my grandmother with all your beauties around. And bear in mind to find the right space where to store all of them!!.[​IMG]

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

Welcome to styleforum, where many owns more than 10 pairs of good shoes.

Oh, and low quality plastic shoes will last longer than leather. Ugly tho.

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

My RM Williams upper started to crack after 5 years and was under almost weekly Renovateur/Lexol and worn about once per week. My old Prada ultra corrected grain shoes did not crack at all, without much conditioning over the years.

Heavily conditioned leather might breakdown faster due to moisture saturation.

YMMV.

2 people like this.
  12. wurger

wurger Senior member

love this chogall vs traverscao :foo:

1 person likes this.
  13. Jorge

Jorge Senior member

"Block Member" is a beautiful thing. On this forum software you see a gray bar running across the screen, fairly unobtrusive.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Don't see any of those shoes are with any kind of quality in them, at all. Just because they cost big money and look horny to the eye does not guarantee their services.
    No, plastic don't last longer. They were already deteriorated by the time you wore your leathers out.

Renovateur... Oh good old story of Renovateur, where the shit storm with Copeland began several years ago... And what the hell kind of a regimen that dictates conditioning weekly? Do you stroll the street in that thing 5 days straight a week?

Who doesn't know over conditioning would damage leather?

I don't see how mileage varies, only experiences.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  15. chogall

chogall Senior member

Educate us on what make quality shoes? Or who make quality shoes? Or show us some of the shoes you see quality in them?

There are plenty of people owning dozens of Vass, EG, or G&G shoes on this forum...

Last time that I checked, people topy their shoe soles so it could last longer between resoles. But seems like you believe that leather soles wears longer than topy or other plastic/rubber soles.

The shitstorm began when people ruined their brand new shoes following someone's "Presidential Shoe Shine" routine. Don't place such a high value on your work.

I used to maintain my shoes weekly.

You called for heavily conditioned leathers to last longer. Now you agree that over conditioning would damage leather. So in your experience what's sets the difference between heavily conditioned vs over conditioning?

2 people like this.
  16. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

2 people like this.
  17. Munky

Munky Senior member

Love it! [​IMG]

18. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

If you only wear your shoes once per week why the hell maintain them on such strict regimen?

Yes, I do hold the belief on leather sole, but it depends largely on what kind of leather for soling. Did you even ask me about such evaluation?

My work? What the fuck do you mean by my work? I don't do presidential shoe shine bullshit. I do what seems to be effective and had been done before. If my experiment works, I have the right to value it high. However, you forgot my important statement regarding my influences and your shoes.

Heavily conditioned uppers last longer via proper way of cleaning, conditioning, protecting, and proper amount of time wearing it before re-treating it. Heavily conditioned also implies many light coatings, thoroughly rubbed in, and correctly brushed to a dry, clean surface. Over conditioning means the shit sits without doing a damn.

I hope certain explanations here gives you something that may fit your eyes.

19. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

And 20 years from the day you made that approach, you're left with a bunch of raw hides walking.

20. Munky

Munky Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.