1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Yellowevo84

Yellowevo84 Senior member

Yes there are some crazy boots down here. Most on the ft work side. However sad to say that most are neglected and not taken care. I had a pair a clients wife gave me and it took a lot of moisture just get them to a reasonable condition to accept dye.

2. Yellowevo84

This is also very true. I would gladly take a well made shoe or boot over a sub par shoe that has different colors or looks unique. There is no substitute for craftsmanship. However I will say that Dallas is quite vain and most people wear the boots hear just because it looks cool.

3. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

The only best thing to do with leather footwear in places like Texas and SoCal is to douse the leather with an emulsified conditioner, like that of Lexol or Bick4, intensively, and polish less. Brushing is also a lot more ideal.

4. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Wearing boots also traced back to horsemanship heritage and protection values.

5. Yellowevo84

The heat here does dry the shoes out quite a lot. Bick 4 is one of my best friends lol

1 person likes this.
  6. mw313

mw313 Senior member

yes that is true from what I have seen, but there are some people who care about some great quality boots! I had a pair custom made for me when I was in Dallas. Bruce from Wild Bill's Western store helped me out. He had a contact with Black Jack (group of guys who worked for the Lucchese classic hand made line) who spread out on their own. They made me a custom last and it worked out great. I designed everything just like I would for a bespoke shoe.

the price wasn't bad either, well at least not compared to what some of us pay for shoes. haha.

7. mw313

mw313 Senior member

that is pretty much all that i do with my boots. I add some cream polish once in a while but mainly conditioner and brushing.

1 person likes this.
  8. chogall

chogall Senior member

Interesting. Makers like Lisa Sorrell charges starting $5k.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

By that logic, there's no need of conditioning in places like Singapore due to the extreme humidity...

It just take a few days for natural material to settle into a environment. Don't need to do anything special or extra.

10. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

By my logic, places with extreme humidity should limits, not completely ditching, the use of conditioners. One still needs to use a little bit of lubrication for the leather fibers, and the rest is up to a hard wax sealant to prevent excessive moisture.

Natural material is one thing, the fact that it is dead, had lost its cognitive ability, and with its self-suffice nutrient system removed, means that it does not adapt anymore. Unless we are talking about heavily stuffed and curried leather, which would require less amount of care, or else, all adaptation is up to the owner(s), not the material itself.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Most custom (bespoke) bootmakers charge half that to start...for very much the same material and techniques.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. mimo

mimo Senior member

Good grief.

Leather isn't full of water and somehow drying out, or less in need of care when it's humid because the air is moist. Hot feet sweat, and salty residues and dirt are what harden the leather. So a clean once in a while is going to apply much the same way. And change your shoes and socks regularly - certainly more relevant than dragon bones or dodo oil or fucking unicorn mane daubers.

2 people like this.
  13. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

75% of what you said, mimo, is much likely the truth.

14. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Before I knew of StyleForum, DW, I used to think that I may have to resort to English bespoke shoemakers.

15. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

I'm taking back the Centaur hoof cordovan conditioner I bought last weekend.

16. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Do they have centaur's spits? I bet those do wonder for spitshine. In addition, a shine cloth woven out of hymen is much likely going to pwn Selvyt shine cloth.

Boy, beyond my wildest dream.

1 person likes this.
  17. mw313

mw313 Senior member

It still rapids moisture because it is dead. Even living people need moisturizer sometimes.

There is wear and tear put on the leather and our sweat is not great for it with the salt content that we have discussed before, not to mention what gets in the upper from the outside environment. UV radiation from the sun also can damage the leather over time. It won't cause cancer since the animal is dead, but it still can dry it out and bleach the color.

If you don't wear the shoes you could potentially go years without treating if they are kept in a nice environment. I have had a few pairs for 5+ years without treatment and they look perfect but I have only worn them once or twice.

If they are being worn I suggest that you use conditioner at least once every 5-10 wears. I use it more than that but I want things to last my lifetime, but then again I hope to keep them for a good 60-70 more years. Haha. I also have a good shoe and boot rotation.

1 person likes this.
  18. Yellowevo84

I think that is key right there, although I'm sure most on here have a decent shoe/boot collection a lot of people don't and probably wear the same shoes over and over again then wonder why they wear out quickly. Then again the way fashion is going these days a lot more people especially the younger generation buys a cheap fashionable shoe then replaces it later when the style changes.

19. rando

rando Senior member

20. traverscao

traverscao Senior member