• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jojoba has a molecular structure that is very similar to sperm whale oil--it's nature's vegetable analogue. As such, of course, it's not synthetic.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties/1200_30#post_7178073

JOJOBA-SPERM%20WHALE-VEG%20OIL%20copy.jpg
Yah that's where I heard of it before.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yah that's where I heard of it before.

You should read the next page in that thread as well...esp. post #1223.

and maybe all the way to and through post #1235

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I heard from somewhere that Lexol is primarily jojoba oil and soy oil, is that true?

No, there was an interview years ago with some Lexol people. One of the guys initially said it was a synthetic sperm whale oil, but that line has sense been redacted from the interview transcript.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No, there was an interview years ago with some Lexol people. One of the guys initially said it was a synthetic sperm whale oil, but that line has sense been redacted from the interview transcript.

Isn't that the interview you posted in the thread above--post #1223? From the link Fred provided?

I also thought the remarks about lanolin and mink oil and that the ingredients were a closely held secret, interesting and enlightening simply because they undoubtedly apply across the board. Products like Gelnkaren being an exception.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Isn't that the interview you posted in the thread above--post #1223? From the link Fred provided?

I also thought the remarks about lanolin and mink oil and that the ingredients were a closely held secret, interesting and enlightening simply because they undoubtedly apply across the board. Products like Gelnkaren being an exception.

Yeah, the same one. It definitely had that phd guy explicitly saying it is a synthetic sperm whale oil, but that comment is gone now. I think he might have slipped, or didn't know it was as close of a secret and they edited the comment.

I think the whole talk of oil migration and sticky finishes is incredibly valuable.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
my much-worn AE shell Townleys were buffed up

Wow! I'd rather dismissed this shoe as ugly in the AE MTO thread...but you just completely changed my mind. What colour shell is this? Also, which soles do they have, and what is your polishing regimen?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! I'd rather dismissed this shoe as ugly in the AE MTO thread...but you just completely changed my mind. What colour shell is this? Also, which soles do they have, and what is your polishing regimen?

Thanks Mimo - just regular brown shell. Nothing very exotic in terms of care. Mostly Mac method and maybe twice a year hitting them with Saphir Cordovan Cream. I did use Renovateur once to help remove some troublesome water spots.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the same one. It definitely had that phd guy explicitly saying it is a synthetic sperm whale oil, but that comment is gone now. I think he might have slipped, or didn't know it was as close of a secret and they edited the comment.

I think the whole talk of oil migration and sticky finishes is incredibly valuable.
Talking bout that, someday we'll have shoe care products made of sperm, which would totally outwank every oil based products known LOL!!!!!!!!

Itchy

Reaction score
I've been staring at shoe polish for too long. Someone do me the favor of breaking this down for me:

Saphir Medaille D'Or is a wax polish

Saphir Pommadier is a cream polish.

And those two are considered top-shelf polishes.

Do I have that correct?

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been staring at shoe polish for too long. Someone do me the favor of breaking this down for me:

Do I have that correct?

wrong.

Medaille D'Or is the "top level" line of polishes produced by Saphir.

M D'or Pate de Luxe is the wax polish in the M D'or line

M D'or Pommadier is the cream polish in the M'Dor line

as far as top-shelf...this is entirely subjective. but most will recognize them as good products.

Last edited:

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do I have that correct?
Nope.

Saphir Beauté du Cuir is the original Saphir line by Avel. By 1925, Avel entered a shoe care contest, whereabouts their new formula won Gold Medal, which, in turn, they named the new line Medaille l'Dor - literally "Gold Medal".

Wax polish is called "Pâté de Luxe", or "luxurious paste", whereas the cream polishes are known as "Crème Surfine" - or "fine cream" for Beauté du Cuir, and "Crème Pommadier" for the Medaille l'Dor line.

2 cents that will hopefully help.

Itchy

Reaction score
You guys are quick. I'd just realized my mistake in that Medaille D'Or is an umbrella under which the two belong. Much appreciate the confirmation, though.

Last edited:

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do I have that correct?

pate de luxe is wax & pommadier is cream
I believe Medaille D'Or are the newer formulations and cover both wax and cream

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics