1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Is this mold?

Recently when I removed a shoe tree from one of my boots I found a white-ish/green-ish substance on the tip of one of them. It looked fibrous when I pulled it apart. I'm thinking this is lint but just want to confirm. Is mold more of a powdery/chalky consistency?

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Hard to tell without photos but yes, I'd guess it was just lint. Not unusual depending on the type of sock you wear and the smoothness or roughness of the interior of your boots.

3. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior member

Crosspost from Streetwear.

I am contemplating purchasing a pair of shoes in Horween Chamois leather. Difficulty is that the Horween has no care guidelines posted on their site. I called the shoemaker and they said treat it like suede (which does not seem right, I have samples and it's not like suede), and I have not been able to find any care guidelines on this forum or with my cruddy Google Fu.

I want them for boat shoes, (Quoddy), but I'll go with another leather if I can't figure out how to treat the Chaomis or understand how it will wear as it's a significant investment that I'd like to last. They wont be worn in the snow or salt if that helps.

Thanks for listening.

4. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

If i'm gonna be vacationing for about a week or more, and i'm willing to set time aside to take care of my shoes, what products should i bring?

Right now, i'm thinking a pair of shoe trees, some cloth and renovateur (or renovateur equivalent).

Too much? Too little?

And there might be snow too.

5. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Brush the nap lightly as you wear. Occasionally, apply an oil to the leather when it feels dry.

6. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Brush, cloth, and something a lot more helpful like GlenKaren's stuffs.

7. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  8. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I use blue creams and waxes on my black shoes in conjunction to black polishes. Over time, it shines better and deeper.

9. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

The upper of my Chelsea boots got an impression because of the way the cobbler put them in the shoe box. The edge of the sale of one pushed into the upper of the other and there is a dent line in it. Is there any hope for getting it to come out and how?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looks like a non-issue to me, but soaking that section with a water and vinegar solution might pull it out. Or try soaking it with some Lexol.

1 person likes this.
  11. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

I have Saphir rejuvenator

12. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

13. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

14. SonniHS

SonniHS Member

I've made a boo-boo. I'll start by admitting it: I'm a beginner, when it comes to shining shoes, and now it seems I have learned a lesson.

I wanted to shine my shoe with Medaille d'or, but I must have used too much water. The shoe is not pretty anymore.

Can I save my shoe?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  15. SonniHS

SonniHS Member

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That won't do anything to it. You need to plump up the leather, renovateur will just basically make it shiny.
    well what did you do? Strip it or put something on it?

1 person likes this.
  17. SonniHS

SonniHS Member

I guess I used too much water, when trying to polish with Medaille d'or.

I put Medaille d'or on a cloth and (too much) water. As a rookie mistake, when it didn't begin to shine, I overdid it. Now ithe area is sort of rough.

18. SonniHS

SonniHS Member

This picture might show the condition better:

[​IMG]

19. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

You can either
    A). Strip that off with Renomat, then build it up again from the "grain" (LOL, shoes not building, so I'd go for grain)
    or
    B). Just wipe the toe down with a dampened cloth, let dry, brush a lot on, then condition, approx. three layers of cream (or sufficiently until it it smooth), then mirror shine.

This is the reason why I opt for shoe creams and natural glow, where, with time and polishing, will eventually go brighter. The leather on your shoes doesn't look particularly like the type where one would go for mirror shine.

20. SonniHS

SonniHS Member

Thanks!

It seems I'll have to go shopping, then. I only have Medaille d'or and shoe cream.

Will it do any good if I wipe the toe down, dry, brush and apply cream? I will have to order other products online, so it'll be a couple of days.