• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for reinvigorating dry alligator?

Itchy

Reaction score
Quote:
Ah, did not know that. I wonder if the Red Wing boot cream I've got has silicone in it. Anybody know that one? Or suggestion for a better, non-silicone cream? Don't know what to make of Bick 4's supposed (alleged?) <1% silicone as an emulsifying agent, but it seems like a minute quantity and people seem to love it...

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Quote:
Ah, did not know that. I wonder if the Red Wing boot cream I've got has silicone in it. Anybody know that one? Or suggestion for a better, non-silicone cream? Don't know what to make of Bick 4's supposed (alleged?) QUOTE] I think at that level is it insignificant. Meltonian's shine is based on it. FWIW, Saphir and Glen Karen, and Lexol doesn't contain silicone
By Meltonian, do you mean the shoe cream or the polish?
Isn't it the same thing? I'd guess both.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DW, regarding the radius of the bottom of that boot, couldn't that just be from overpacking it with cork filler and not so much the shape of the last?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DW, regarding the radius of the bottom of that boot, couldn't that just be from overpacking it with cork filler and not so much the shape of the last?

I hadn't thought of that...I suppose it could be. But cork is somewhat compressible...they'd have had to pack a whole lot of cork in there. I mean a whole lot. Thing is all modern manufactured lasts have bottom radius, so this kind of thing happens all the time, it's just not so noticeable.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't know what to make of Bick 4's supposed (alleged?) <1% silicone as an emulsifying agent, but it seems like a minute quantity and people seem to love it...

I don't know how anyone finds out these things or if it's just urban legend. I called Bickmore direct and after introducing myself and telling them of my interest in using and recommending Bick4, still couldn't worm even the basic ingredients out of them, much less proportions.

Last edited:

Itchy

Reaction score
Quote:
My thought is that at such a small percentage, I probably pick up more of way-nastier chemicals just walking through a parking lot. What was the thing about Saphir, that it contains turpentine and that's not good for the leather? Something about that shooed me away from Reno. Wonder if that's the case with Saphir's cream too.

Last edited:

Itchy

Reaction score
Quote:
Should that chase me away from using Saphir cream?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads