1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

@San francisco folks, where can i buy saphir in person?

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Baltor & Sons
    263 E Harris Ave, South San Francisco, CA 94080

Tell 'em DW sent you.

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

So i put saphir on the boots, leather shined up a bit but i ran out of saphir... dammit.

Now if i decide to use lexor or bick4 do i just spray down the boot and let it dry?

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Damn i just moved from ssf to sf, longer drive now, but thank you!

anything within actual sf, otherwise i have it in the mail already

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

A pH of 7 is too high for leather which wants to be between 3 and 5

6. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Typical thought was that any cleaner of neutral pH will stay in the "buffer" zone, neither harden nor softening the leather.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  7. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

You are using words that you don't know the meaning of.

8. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Point them out as needed, please. I don't see if any of those words I don't have a clear understanding of.

9. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

To be honest, I don't even know where to start. That entire post makes no sense.

10. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Then please just be polite and start with PM me. I don't see a point for being so critical or impolite.

11. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Fellas, I have never heard of Huberd's Shoe Grease being spoken about in the thread. Can any users share their experience? Some folks from here Washington state said it worked for around 100 years or so.

12. westie187

westie187 Senior member

13. MonotovsOpera

MonotovsOpera Well-Known Member

Why should he not be critical? You are giving advice that makes no sense. If he won't, I'll do it.
    stay in the "buffer" zone - what do you think this means? It does not make sense as a statement.

harden nor softening the leather - I can understand how this is relevant to the topic of leather longevity, but how is it related to the pH of the cleaner?

typical thought - from whom?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  14. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Going where angels fear to tread...and against the grain (read "group think")

Language should not be a tool for bludgeoning others simply for having a different world-view or mind set or vocabulary than we ourselves have.

Yes, Travers can be pretty hard to understand, even opaque. But how is that different from all the non-native-English speakers that post to this board? Hell, there are those who post in these forums that I have a hard time understanding despite the fact that I am pretty sure they grew up speaking English in the USA.

Who among us is rigourous with their spelling? Careful about semantics? Who among us is "without sin?"

Communication is a two way street. Sometimes you have to expend a little effort...even if it's simply in terms of tolerance.

In my opinion...

4 people like this.
  15. chogall

chogall Senior member

They don't have saphir mdo polishes or creams in stock. Not at least when I visited. Nice folks. Close very early. More of a distributor warehouse than retail shop.

16. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

For Glen as requested:

I usually just condition my shoes more or less twice a year cause I do like the natural patina they develope. I use SMO or SCU for the edges and outsole stiching after I condition them.

Once in a while I use colour creams if the shoes needs it (once a year and a half).

I have waxes too, but I do not use them very much. If my shoes are beaten up, then I go with the clour wax instead of cream.

I never use conditioner+creams nor conditioner+waxes.

Hope this help and thanks for your all you information about shoe care products, very informative.

I believe I am not a target consumer.

17. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Mine also. Thank you Dwf for expressing my thoughts better than I could have.

1 person likes this.
  18. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Critical with politeness, please. I don't take no more shit storms.

Onwards to the explanation that you requested.

Saddle soap was known to have hardened the leather, due to high alkalinic pH. Leather is acidic, but it does not means you want to douse it with acid. In such case, all manufacturer, all designers, ...etc..., wanted to be very careful to create a powerful cleaner without falling into either side of the pH scale. Therefore, a neutral pH was presumably the choice. However, they forgot, mildly acidic will not kill, not that pH neutral is that much necessary.

Which, after explained all of that out for you, do you now get what I mean by "buffer" zone?

There goes the relation to typical thoughts, the "buffer" zone, and also, whatevz that you need to know.

Keep yourself in positively critical. Help or get help. Don't push them out the window or door.

19. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Thank you, DW.

20. MonotovsOpera

MonotovsOpera Well-Known Member

@DWFII , much agreed. Hostility is completely unnecessary. However, if you are going to discuss scientific tenets, I think accuracy in language is extremely important.

@traverscao , on your points: I don't think all manufacturers or all designers wanted to be very careful about the cleaning products they use, create, or recommend. There are many that still sell saddle soap as a cleaner, even if it is a terrible product. I also understand what you meant by "buffer zone", but that term is simply not used to refer to what you're referring it to and could be confusing to people reading this thread. I certainly had no idea what you were referring to.

On the subject, I'd actually agree with @patrickBOOTH , that you want a product that is slightly acidic, not a neutral product. Even pH balanced (neutral) soaps are drying to the skin. They are also probably not the best choice for leather, but they are certainly better than something alkaline.