• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jssdc

Reaction score
I might be the minority but I only use 2 (one for black and another for tans). Have thought about having an exclusive brush for my light cordovans (i.e., whiskey, Ravello) but I have not gotten around to it.

I may be in a smaller minority...I have one brush that I use for dusting each day, and one that I use for polishing. I don't have anything lighter than chestnut and a little bit of mottling doesn't bother me (not that I've seen any, mind you).

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it OK to use the same brush to daily dust off both my tan and mid brown shoes?

benhour

Reaction score
Is it OK to use the same brush to daily dust off both my tan and mid brown shoes?
I really dont think there would be any problem at all!!

AaronC

Reaction score

Sleepyinsanfran got it right, I think. Any structural problem is likely to manifest as a fit or stability problem, sooner or later. Sometimes minor sometimes...not so much.

They're not likely to crumble on your feet, no.

Food for thought...every time you send or take a pair of shoes like that back to the manufacturer, you're forcing the maker to tighten up quality control and maybe even adjust his processes to avoid such losses.

But, inevitably, having to "eat the shoes," also creates pressure to raise prices.

Hmm interesting. Thanks for your insights.

@AaronC I learnt to let some things go by, a lot less to stress and worry about.

I understand, just wanted to clarify some stuff.

The lack of a bond between the layers in the heel counter might make it get crushed easily and have some unsightly creases on the exterior. It might not be a problem if you use a shoe horn without fail everytime you put these on (but I wouldn't take the risk if these were purchased at full retail

Yup do that religiously. Thanks!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, gents, for your help with this!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since my unfortunate experiment with Lexol (I didn't realise that it was liquid and manged to pour it into my shoes), I haven't touched it since. I am feeling braver now. How to you used it (the brown bottled)? Do you use a very little, as with shoe cream and wax? Or do you just generally splosh it all over? How long do you leave it and do you brush the shoes afterwards? With thanks, as always, M.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hold my shoes at a 45 degree angle (sole upwards, heel higher than toe) and literally pour the stuff down the tongue. Then I get my hand in there and slosh it around make sure I get the vamp lining well. If there are remnants I pour the excess into the next shoe the same way right out of the heel. After a while you will get a feel for how much you will need to avoid using too much.

I would also recommend getting the inside moist with diluted vinegar to get the pH back in balance inside the shoe. Accumulated fermented sweat turns very alkaline which reverts the fibers back to rawhide. Without shifting the pH back down it is rather resistant to many conditioners. Get some diluted vinegar in there and shove in the shoe trees. Let it sit over night and the next day use the lexol.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds very helpful, Patrick! I will try this very soon. I appreciate your considered response! Very best wishes, as always, Munky.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I phrased my question in a fatuous way, but I really am interested in how to use Lexol. Put the rest down to my being slightly odd.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I know I phrased my question in a fatuous way, but I really am interested in how to use Lexol.  Put the rest down to my being slightly odd. 

It's hard to use it wrong....except maybe too often.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cobbler apparently applied a layer of cream polish to my shell shoes when doing a heel replacement. He meant well, and is very nice, so I'm not all that upset.
I've searched the thread a bit (but admit I didn't read end to end), and based on what I've read, am I correct that this is what I should do:
1. Renomat or GlenKaren (but not Venetian cream or lexol or anything like that) to strip the polish off
2. Renovateur or creme Universalle to condition the shell after stripping
3. Brush like a madman

Is that about right?

Thanks in advance.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It amazes me that one website out there years ago wrote no cream on shell and now everybody believes it.

My advice to you, is brush them, maybe put a light layer of wax polish and brush again. That's it.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It amazes me that one website out there years ago wrote no cream on shell and now everybody believes it.

My advice to you, is brush them, maybe put a light layer of wax polish and brush again. That's it.

I wouldn't sweat it, but the color darkened and I want to lighten them back up. Should have said that upfront.

Thanks, pB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads