1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. benhour

benhour Senior member

very nice job Roger!! i really like the outcome! the color is more elegant and rich!! [​IMG]
    it's not something really difficult ,especially if you are familiar working with leather!! you ll need a rough sandpaper (600-800 grit) to sand the sole so the glue ll bond firmly the leather sole and the protector!! shoe trees and a hammer and a really sharp blade to trim off the edges!!!
    btw use a professional glue or one specific for that task! examples at the photo beneath [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

They don't look like shell to me. Yes, they are cordovan...coloured...but I've never seen shell crease or crack like that. It looks like a heavy "paint job" finish that is cracking...so far.

2 people like this.
  4. Munky

Munky Senior member

Excuse me. Is there anything to be gained from using Lexol and then leaving the shoes, overnight, before polishing? Ditto, Creme Universelle? [but not using both at the same time [​IMG]].

5. Layered Player

6. DWFII

I could be wrong...

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

+1. Definitely not shell, and likely corrected grain, sorry. I think DWFII is right that you are just seeing the finish cracking there, not the leather which looks like normal creasing to me. If they are corrected grain, I'm not really sure how to minimize the visibility of the creasing, but someone else might have a suggestion.

8. Layered Player

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Seems to me it's just wrinkling in the finish, partly because the shoe obviously fits you differently to the original owner, so you'll get some extra creasing anyway. The creasing down the side of the toe makes me think that - I have a wide forefoot and sometimes size up against my own advice - with the same results.

Anyway, my advice would be to clean all the loose polish off - gently, but thoroughly, with a mild mix of acetone and water (about 1/10) and a soft cotton cloth. You could try PB's similar approach with white vinegar solution for a more natural pH. Anyway, with that done, a bit of conditioning and/or cream polish should cheer it up a bit, then leave it for a few hours before giving a light wax polish as normal. Are they a touch long for you, or sized up for width by any chance?

But nice shoes: the burgundy ("cordovan!") oxford is less common than it should be, and I like the proportions and shape of these a lot.

10. Layered Player

I DIG the toebox, wish every dress shoe I owned had it's profile.

Yes, I'm a C and these are D but still fit well enough and the creasing was there when I got them. They became more pronounced and were lighter than the surrounding leather so I noticed immediately and began to try to remediate.

Soles and insoles are pristine, they were barely worn...maybe they were too small for my uncle?

All great suggestions, this will be a grand adventure!

11. benhour

benhour Senior member

do the alcohol test!! :) take a rag or cotton put some alcohol (pure if you can) and rub in an unseen area (tongue probably is the safest part as they are oxford) if you dont see any color on the rag then sorry but they are corrected !! cause we cant be sure 100% from pics!! also to say that the dont look like shell cordovan to me neither

12. Layered Player

If this is accurate, they are NOT corrected grain. Used 70% alcohol and got color.

They're very sturdily constructed and fully leather lined...should be interesting once I get Lexol on em.

13. mimo

mimo Senior member

I don't think that test proves much - if there's polish on them, it will dissolve in alcohol, whether they're made of leather, plastic or old teabags.

Anyway, I'm not sure it really matters: they look like a very attractive pair of shoes, and will no doubt be better for a gentle strip, condition and polish.

2 people like this.
  14. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I think I'll give it a try. I used to use Barge contact cement, and it looks like that's still commonly used. I didn't know that I've have to hammer them. Thanks for the advice.

15. benhour

benhour Senior member

mimo if they were corrected what would the purpose be of using polish on them?
    btw thats why i said about tongue area(hidden area) where the possibilities for polish to be there are really low

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Corrected grain isn't like patent; there's still a finish on it.

17. benhour

benhour Senior member

it's how you define the "corrected"!! if for you corrected is sanded down leather yes there is a finish on !!

when i said they are corrected grain i meant with a plastic coating on them!! patent leather i more used for the high shine formal shoes(incorrectly but thats what it has prevailed) !!sorry i think i had to say exactly what i meant!!

btw i did a search and the shoes are made of calf skin with a plastic coating finish! they are not shell!

1 person likes this.
  18. mimo

mimo Senior member

I don't think anybody said they were shell. Anyway, whatever kind of binder or CG they may be, I hope he succeeds.

19. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Suede brush.

20. DWFII

FWIW...

I took "ruby" to be the colour and "shell cordovan" to mean shell.