1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I don't know much about GG (apart from the fact they carried a very conservative model of balmoral boots), but their gemmed shoes seems to be of some top grade. Again, either they have a model I am so in love with, or their price just made it so attractive (bespoke England has got a very interesting payment program).

JM Weston had some of the weirdest gemming that seems to last, but I don't know. This I have to ask some of JM Weston's owners.

1 person likes this.
  2. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I think besides being traditional, you gotta admit this, DW, you're quite conservative as well, but that was all by positive means.

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

DWF
    As you well know, words change according to the way they are used. As a philosopher in the last century said, 'meaning is use'.

Buying shoes that have 'built in obsolescence built can be pragmatic. For example, the younger person might buy such shoes, knowing that they don't cost much and can be replaced. And, of course, built in or otherwise, every material thing is 'naturally' obsolescent.' We can put off the wearing out of something through the use of highly skilled workmanship (such as yours) but we cannot put off, for ever, the fact of something wearing out.

AND...I think you know all of this! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

All that means is that I'm not a flibberty-gibbit running off after every new (read different) thing like a teenaged girl in spring.

Conservative is another word for 'thoughtful." [​IMG]

5. DWFII

If "meaning is use" then what is using a word incorrectly, or indifferently, or deceptively? The meanings of words don't change just because some one individual or one segment of society decided they can twist the meaning to their own ends (or, at least they shouldn't). IMO, it's "use" alright--it's using the instinctive trust that people want to have in the language and each other to manipulate.

And no, I don't agree that buying shoes for nebulous or impetuous or even transitory reasons is pragmatic. Those may all be valid reasons for any particular individual but if you knowingly buy into a product...or, again, a manner of thinking...that deliberately misrepresents and actively pursues failure of the product, that is not pragmatic or practical by any definition. It might be supremely gratifying but not pragmatic.

And, in that context, I must draw your attention to the fact that I stipulated "planned" obsolescence--referring to the deliberate choice of less than optimal techniques or materials to create premature failure and thus bolster aggregate sales. The whole of the fashion world is predicated on this approach. Shoes are not exempt. Men's fashions are not exempt. Men's shoes are not exempt.

--

6. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

In certain cases, yes.

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

DWF
    I think we have to agree to disagree on these issues; we are fast running off-topic! [​IMG]

8. DWFII

I don't regard that as a major sin--as in real life, I follow the discussion where it leads.

But OK...

9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

all this hand grade/ bench grade talks has me having bad flashbacks to the term "Reserve" in wine making in the USA....

10. DWFII

What was that about?

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

12. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Ah, so now we all get sobber... LOL!!!!

13. DWFII

Exactly!

:fonz:

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

I didn't see "purist" as a pejorative term. Never mind.

1 person likes this.
  15. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

In Spain we have a well known GYW shoe manufacture with 2 different lines of quality: the "Good Year Welted" line ( basic line) and the "Premium Grade" line ( higher quality but still produce with a GYW machine, of course). It seems a very stupid clasification to me, but that is only marketing and we all here should know. It happens in all sectors and industries to try to sell more. It is on TV , everywhere and everyday.

16. DWFII

I know you didn't...

No worries.

--

17. rakap

rakap New Member

I am a long time lurker and decided to join the forum as I have a problem with one of my Lobbs. Basically I worn these shoes to the party... all went well until I found these spots on my shoes. I have no clue what these spots came from, so I figured they were water spots. I dried the shoes for a day in my room, but these things won't go away. Since it wasn't water... it should be something else then... I proceeded to the next step: Reno'Mat. I used the Reno'Mat on the small area to test if it works.... unfortunately it didn't. I don't know what else should I proceed with. I paid quite a bit for these, so it upsets me a lot. Thank you in advance.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. benhour

benhour Senior member

this looks like more something with color in it( coca-cola and less possible scotch or wine) !
    can you specify the procedure you did with renomat because most of the time its not uses the right way!
    generally dont over do it with renomat or other kind of stripper cause its quit easy to mess up the finish or the leather surface of your shoes!(dont rub just let the product on to do the work)

the shoes are not destroyed even at the scenario where you cant clean the spots(quite difficult to happen) you can always darken the shoes

19. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

Cocktail parties, nightclubs, and urinals are brutal on good shoes.

3 people like this.
  20. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Wax them well, nourish them good, and they will take the hard beating.