• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Question for those with experience on closed channel soles peeling: how long has it taken before this has happened?  

Two pairs of C&J handgrade both started peeling at the same time after a little over a year.  In terms of usage, I wear each of them 1-2 times per week and until recently I had a walking lifestyle splitting time between Manhattan and central DC.  I don't tend to bother much about rain unless it's a downpour so I'm sure they've gotten wet.  I've just super-glued down the peels when they've popped up so it doesn't really bother me - I'm inquiring more as a point of curiosity.  Is a year or so about how long these should stay stuck down, or was C&J using cheap glue?

Got any pics J?

jssdc

Reaction score
Got any pics J?

Here's a shot of one pair I sent to Nick a couple of months ago. Following his advice I re-glued, which took under 5 minutes and has held up fine. Unfortunately I can't show an after shot because they're currently on a box in the ocean somewhere (probably in the Mediterranean at this point).

The other pair I glued up this morning without taking a "before", but it was in the same place so I'm happy to show an "after" when I get home.

jssdc

Reaction score
Given that some of us think that C&J's and Carmina's are posh shoes, what are we to learn from this? Given that many lower priced shoes last a lot longer, what is the point of increasing the amount we pay for shoes - at least for RTW? Or are these cases 'outliers'? I'm not keen on paying for C&J shoes, only to have to superglue them.
Yours sincerely,
Munky

Munky, this is a can of worms.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a shot of one pair I sent to Nick a couple of months ago. Following his advice I re-glued, which took under 5 minutes and has held up fine. Unfortunately I can't show an after shot because they're currently on a box in the ocean somewhere (probably in the Mediterranean at this point). The other pair I glued up this morning without taking a "before", but it was in the same place so I'm happy to show an "after" when I get home.
Thanks J, interesting as it's not my experience with C&J. But hey, I bow to others superior knowledge

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello, quite new here so apologies if this has been covered. I have a problem where by I seem to be wearing through the vamp lining of shoes quicker than any other part.
Any thoughts or suggestions to prevent or reduce this?
Are you using cedar she trees that fit? That helps with creasing and moisture absorption. Also, you should put some conditioner in the vamp linings as well. I do.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks. Never realised conditioning the inners was a thing!

A good thing to do is mix 1/2 water with 1/2 white vinegar and get it all in there. Let it dry and then condition. Fermented foot sweat shifts the leather protein fibers ionic negative, which makes the other leather constituents like fat liquors leach out. The leather then gets dry and essentially reverts to raw hide. The acidic nature of the vinegar shifts the protein fibers cationic, which is the natural state they want to be in. This helps the absorption of the conditioners and keeps the fibers soft.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah I get that it's normal for the channel cover to peel - I was just looking to see if others has seen peeling in the same time frame. Maybe I'm OCD that I wanted to glue it back, although I'm not particularly so when it comes to other aspects of shoe care

The time frame depends on your environment, your gait, your weight. Whatever that is it is normal to occur. Don't use crazy glue, though. It is not a flexible glue so it can actually worsen the condition of the soles.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Question for those with experience on closed channel soles peeling: how long has it taken before this has happened?  

Two pairs of C&J handgrade both started peeling at the same time after a little over a year.  In terms of usage, I wear each of them 1-2 times per week and until recently I had a walking lifestyle splitting time between Manhattan and central DC.  I don't tend to bother much about rain unless it's a downpour so I'm sure they've gotten wet.  I've just super-glued down the peels when they've popped up so it doesn't really bother me - I'm inquiring more as a point of curiosity.  Is a year or so about how long these should stay stuck down, or was C&J using cheap glue?

I wouldn't suggest Super-Glue.
It's two rigid and can dry out the leather and stitching making them brittle.
The soles are stitched using a lock-stitch method. If a few of them get damaged it doesn't mean the rest will unravel.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't suggest Super-Glue.
It's two rigid and can dry out the leather and stitching making them brittle.
The soles are stitched using a lock-stitch method. If a few of them get damaged it doesn't mean the rest will unravel.

Nick, would it rot or damage the thread in longer run, though? I thought by having a channel the welt stitching is nicely protected.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, quite new here so apologies if this has been covered. I have a problem where by I seem to be wearing through the vamp lining of shoes quicker than any other part.
Any thoughts or suggestions to prevent or reduce this?

What are your shoes lined with - linen (fabric) or leather?

I've known fabric-lined shoes to wear through fairly easily at pressure points (such as where the little toe sometimes presses against the side of the shoe) and, of course, once the lining is worn through then the leather upper can start to wear and even crack or split at that point, given time.

However, I haven't known of any leather-lined shoes that have done that although it's obviously possible, given enough wear and enough time.

There is a possibility that you're wearing shoes that just don't fit your feet well and so you're getting quite a lot of rubbing in a particular area, which is leading to excessive wear at that point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads