1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

"young, but I'm not that bold" (Reference of OneRepublic's "Counting Stars" for fun)

"Again, look to the gel that linseed oil makes on the rim of a can." - as per this phrase, I might as well need more explanations (I don't really get what you mean there).

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

If you've ever had a can of linseed oil sitting around...when you pour the linseed oil out onto a cloth some invariably spills out on the lid or the top surface of the can. If you don't wipe it off, the spilt residue will slowly gel over the space of the next however many months. Might even get a bit crusty albeit a soft crust.

The cod oil / fish oil in the "wax" of waxed calf, does the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  3. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

4. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Hi gents. Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, and it might be a ridiculous question so I apologize in advance if that's the case.

Is is possible to convert an all eyelet boot to a boot with eyelets and speedhooks? Basically, is there a cunning device used by cobblers to convert the top few eyelets to speedhooks? I really hope there is...

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I would imagine that an eyelet and a speed hook have the same attachment method. I don't see why not. You can convert eyelets to speedhooks...

7. aglose

aglose Senior member

Hey guys, took delivery of these today and they are perfect except for this one flaw. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you think this will be a problem? They are Horween CXL boots and I really do love them, but if this can't be helped by some Reno or VSC then I'll have to see what can be done.

8. MonotovsOpera

MonotovsOpera Well-Known Member

That's creasing, not a flaw. Likely someone has worn them before, but it's also likely where you will place creases wearing them.

Nothing to be done about it.

9. aglose

aglose Senior member

Thank you! I will wear them without worrying about it then.

10. DWFII

Lots of times you can set a hook right over the top of the eyelet. Especially if both are a little larger than the tiny eyelets used for dress shoes.

In fact when making work boots, I often set a brass eyelet backwards and then set a logger's hook in on top of that. Doing it that way creates a foundation for the hook, and reinforces the the leather holding both the hook and the eyelet.

--

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  11. DWFII

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Somebody probably tried them on. It's bound to happen even with your foot in them. Condition and forget about it.

1 person likes this.
  13. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

The one thing I hate most about CXL is how crazily weird they can crease and how easy that prone to happen.

14. DWFII

Probably also has something to do with the way the back of the tops are shaped. That said all lace-up boots will crease there. And sometimes over six months or so, you'll actually lose as much as an inch in height...just because of those creases.

--

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You say this, but ice never witnessed this in any of my friend's shoes that are CXL, again it could depend on which kind they have.

16. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Could it be that they were coated with a surface substance?

17. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Yeah... Think I'll get in touch with B Nelson.

18. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I did the exact same thing to my Viberg Mocha roughout boots recently. Viberg sent me some swatches of the roughout to test it so I slathered on HDLP and allowed it to dry.

Treated:

[​IMG]

Untreated:

[​IMG]

For reference, here's a shot of the boots when new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are a gorgeous brown with lots of depth. In the treated swatch above, the dubbin/Obenauf HDLP darkens and dulls the roughout and eliminates the nap (which is expected).

Given the winter here in New England, I still wanted to treat my roughouts but didn't want to completely lose the OEM appearance. I applied enough product to lose the nap and darken a bit but not as thick as the swatch experiment. I warmed them up with a hair dryer and brushed them with a suede brush after a few hours (may have been next day). The tackiness was gone at that point. After a couple of weeks, the nap and color return to something close to the original. After a bout a month, I hit them with a suede brush again and even more of the nap comes back.

While I was willing to give up some of the gorgeous appearance to gain better weather resistance, I'm very pleased at how they've come back to closely resemble their original appearance.You'll see that some spots that don't flex or see any friction remain nap-free but I don't mind it at all. It has a bit of that waxed flesh look which I'll admit, I hoped for. But best of all, the leather doesn't saturate any longer with the salty slush that's everywhere right now. I use a suede brush a couple hours after wearing and the salt and dirt just flake off.

I snapped these pics yesterday and posted in the Viberg forum. They are no longer sticky/tacky at all. IIRC, I treated them about 6-8 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

I bought some saphir hiver to treat salt stain. Do I still need to wipe the sole with vinegar to lower the pH?

20. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

What kind of tannage did the leather went through, patrick_b? Did they tell you?