1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

We wrote about two different things. First, the rubber heels on AE are improved.
    Then the finish...If you didn't like the finish and the two shoes were not alike why did you buy them?
    About the finish....This is exactly why I refuse requests to do antiquing/burnishing of the uppers. It's all subjective. After spending hours on a job that we think looks really good, the customer had a different idea of the result even after he told us what he expected. There a few guys out there that specialize in that sort of stuff.

But, if you don't like the finish on a shoe, let alone the pair, don't buy them.

2. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Nick,

Regarding the heels, their regular lines were not improved when I bought my calf Hanover. When I sent them in for repair, they came back with a somewhat better heel toplift. Still, I'd nail them shut.

Talking about the finish, did you know they dumped loads of ink on the surface and the edges? It was sticky as hell, and wasn't looking anything like a job well done.

Burnishing and antiquing, Nick, not ink dump loads.

I gotta admit I was much deceived by the pictures.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. Nick V.

We are talking about mass production here. If they can figure out a way to fix the heel problem without creating a huge expense for auto-nailing the heels. Keep in mind, last I heard they manufacture 2600 pair of shoes per day and want to keep within a certain price-point made here in the U.S.A.
    With that in mind it's certainly not cost efficient for them to "dump loads of ink on the surface and edges". Further, I see several brand new pair per week out of the box for sole guards, taps, waterproofing.
    I don't see any dumping of ink? Stickiness?
    If I were you I would contact their CS. I hear they are very reasonable at handling your sort of claims.

4. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Dunno about claim, Nick, I might as well give that a shot over.

5. Nick V.

Please do and let us know one way or another.

6. Win545

Win545 Senior member

Hi, sorry if this has already been discussed but what should i use for edge dressing for antique edge such as on my alden cigar longwing. The edge is now dirty and dull but if i use solid brown edge dressing, i think it would make the beauty of antique edge disappear. Or should i just leave the edge that way.

7. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Where's the best place to buy supplies like polish and whatnot? I know of places that sell it but are there any places where it's extra affordable

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

That would depend, I think, on where you live...

9. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

United States

Afpos seems to be affordable. Not sure if there's a better price out there.

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

I am from the UK but, from memory, the US is a big place. Would it not be possible either to A) read through this thread or b) do an internet search?

11. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

I assumed threads like this existed to provide help when peopled asked questions. I must've misunderstood how an Internet forum works. But hey your brief lesson on how to use the Internet to find information was helpful. Thank you.

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Safeway or your local supermarkets have polishes.

Hardware stores should have Lexol.

Cobblers should have all.

So does Amazon.

And if you want to go all fancy there's plenty of forum sponsors and no sponsers that sells saphir and other high end stuff.

And you would need to proxy for boot black.

13. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

[​IMG]

I was put under pressure to condition ( usually do not polish much) some of my wife´s shoes this afternoon. It was a good chance to test the Bick 4 (I just received) Vs. Lexol Conditioner that I previously ordered; both from USA via Amazon with crazy shipping fees and exchange rates. . All left shoes were done with Lexol and the right ones with B4. Both are great stuff, I would say they are very similar products but somehow I liked more Lexol: it seemed to me that is a bit less smelly, and a bit more creamy (wich I like). Great results in both cases. I will keep conditioning the sole stiching and edges with Saphir Creme Universelle. Thank you for the inputs.

14. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Chogall, what site for the bootblack stuff again, please?

15. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I thought there was a US site...

Thanks a lot anyway...

16. chogall

chogall Senior member

I did say you need a proxy.

17. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Thought you meant a site with the name "proxy". Hah.. My mistake.

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

You could always try Proxy Creams and Polishes...although I am not certain it is still up and running. [​IMG]

19. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Cool, thanks, but I'd stick to Saphir for coloring capabilities and Glen's for extra nourishment and protection.