1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Dragontail275

Dragontail275 Member

Well that's a bummer. Glad I didn't pay full price for them. The Fifth Avenues still have that darker spot so hopefully I didn't permanently damage two pairs of shoes.

Any idea what I did wrong on either of them or how to fix the FAs?

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have a 15 year old pair of I think CH shoes that never have seen anything but a wipe down with a dry rag...have not worn or looked at them for several years.....I will dig them out.

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

Apologies for my sentence construction. My message, above, should have read: "I sometimes ponder on what a pair of shoes would be like if they were only ever brushed. No polish, conditioner or wax just regular use of the brush".

Please do let us know what your 15 year old shoes look like, after a brushing, Kahuna!

4. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

With my wife away for the weekend I used the other evening to give some of my shoes (almost embarrassingly there are quite a few more that I didn't get around to) a quick polish. Nothing overly elaborate - clean, renovateur, brush, one layer of medaille d'or, brush and buff.

R-O-T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

r-o-t when the duchess is away i too am partial to buff and shine :embar:

nice collection there :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  6. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

My son has a pair of short wing bluchers that have a slight scuff on the toe. They have what appear to be wool vamps and as they are very stylish, I'd like to avoid damaging the wool or discoloring it or the light welt.

What do you all suggest?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you're all enjoying the snow day today. Stay safe!

7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I hope you'll for give me if I observe that it is not a "slight scuff."

Nor is it even leather. It is a...pardon the expression...cheap vinyl--as is so often used for kid's shoes and other throwaway footwear.

What you're seeing in the center of the scuff is the fabric that holds the vinyl together.

Nothing can be done.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

Sharpie?

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

And maybe a little silicone caulk for fill.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  10. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

This is why toddlers can't have nice things.

I was just posting it to give you all some mild amusement this afternoon.

2 people like this.
  11. ntempleman

ntempleman Senior member

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Any products or techniques to use when caring for Alden Reverse Chamois leather?

Cleaning products?
    Brushing?
    Suede Brush?

Any tips or advice please.

13. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

No way getting rid of creasing. The only thing most proper to do is to use boot trees regularly after wear from now on forth.

Other than that, do use a conditioner.

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Horween got back to me on this and suggested just brushing and a light application of neatsfoot oil for maintenance. They did not mention anything for cleaning though.

15. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Brushing is sufficient for cleaning, unless you are dealing with crappy stuff daily, say, mud, heavy dirt, sand, the similar kind.

16. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Shoe trees are probably the single most important, and frequently overlooked, accessory for long-term shoe care. I would say a horsehair brush could be more critical, but it's more every-day functions can be duplicated with a cotton rag.

When I first started using them, I remember thinking, "which shoes of mine are worthy of their own trees?" The answer, it turned out, was all of them.

Now even my running shoes get trees. Nothing like having your athletic socks smell of cedar.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  17. Pb924

Pb924 Senior member

[​IMG]Just ordered these meermins. Looking to put together some shoe shine supplies and shoe trees. Any advice on what to get and where to get it. Im new to shoe care. Thanks
    [​IMG]

18. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

A brush, an old t-shirt, a tin of wax polish, and hard work.

19. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

@DWFII , thanks for your mentions of Bick4. I thought I'd give it a try so ordered some and tried it on a few pairs of boots today. Very pleased. It seems to condition and hydrate better than what I've used before --- Reno, VSC, Meltonian cream, etc. I also have some GlenKaren cleaner/conditioner and neutral cream and I know they're supposed to be good (and sure smell good) but they require a lot of work, otherwise my boots are left kind of tacky/sticky. I may very well be doing something wrong or using too much.

Back to Bick4 --- it leaves my boots with a nice, satin sheen. And I'm lazy so I like that it's so easy to work with. I can continue to use Reno or VSC on the boots for which I want a more lustrous shine as they seem to contain more wax than Bick4

20. Pb924

Pb924 Senior member

I was thinking more in terms of brand..being that this is a shoe care thread.