1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Trunk show from the big guys? What does that mean?

2. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

And quite frankly, you got point. People down there were much overwhelmed by the flashy names and ended up buying brands more than products. By the amount of money spending on a Gucci or Prada, I'll save up for bespoke, which worth a whole heck lot more.

3. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

You got Cleverley, Foster and Sons, and much more from England. They have trunk shows in San Fran, and to Beverley Hills as well, which is just North East where I'm moving to.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. patrickBOOTH

They do in New York City too.

1 person likes this.
  5. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Yup...

But somehow relying too much on trunk shows doesn't really give me a good feel.

6. patrickBOOTH

Go to DW, you're not far from him, If I lived where you do, I'd be getting everything from him.

1 person likes this.
  7. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Sure Hell I have to go to him. I'm dying for a true bespoke pair of shoes. However, I want my schedule very clear so that nothing can interfere with fitting sessions and all.

Dying for a nicely fitted pair of shoes - just hope the wait doesn't kill me, along with the sporadic rain...

1 person likes this.
  8. Munky

Munky Senior member

As always, DWF, you offer very useful info and I fully respect your knowledge and skill as a professional. . The last point, about 'real size' is interesting. I take mostly take 8 1/2 but have 9s and 10s. I use thin leather inserts with two pairs. I guess that the only shoes that really fit you are bespoke ones. I have never really understood why shoe manufacturers don't get together and all produce the same size shoes. Why is there a need for some suppliers to write 'should run true to size'? You wouldn't buy car tyres from a company that said 'the tyres should run true to size'.

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Lastmakers...here in the states, at least...have tried....ultimately unsuccessfully or only successful in a limited fashion.

But their sizing is necessarily and entirely dependent on what the shoe manufacturers want to call a size 9, for instance. And few if any manufactures (and too few bespoke makers, IMO) pay any attention to heel to ball measurements (or long heel, or tread and heel seat width, etc..).

That's not how shoes are marketed or how customers are fit up in retail "joints."

Marketing is what queers the deal...for instance if a woman has a large foot she doesn't want to hear that her shoe size is 10. So the manufactures take a size 10 last and designate it a size 9 (and that's what the lastmaker has to print on the last).

And you know what they say..."if mama's happy, everybody's happy."

--

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  10. chogall

chogall Senior member

It's like some work boots runs "half a size too large" and needs to be "sized down". But then its true to size accounting for thick work socks.

1 person likes this.
  11. westie187

westie187 Senior member

And you know what they say..."if mama's happy, everybody's happy."

Happy wife, happy life.

12. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

OMG folks, since when had shoes shifted to wives and mamas LOL!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Any experience with Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil conditioner and Prestine Clean Leather ( www.leatherique.com ) mainly use for top car leathers ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

I use it on my car seats, good product, never used it on shoes.

15. patrickBOOTH

Ive heard of it before, but they are one of those companies that don't tell you what's in it. Based on that alone I wouldn't trust it, but my hunch is it's too oily for use on shoes. Same goes for that Leather Honey product.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  16. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Funny how the oil should be used first, then the cleaner.

Well, Pat, most of them won't be any as kind of Montana Pitch Blend or Glen to tell us all about the ingredients.
    As of Leather Honey, I'd rather use pure Neatsfoot, which is way more effective, FWIW.

17. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I have slightly high instep/high volume feet. I've grown to love Bluchers. I also dress more casually so they work with my wardrobe but I seem to like the fit as well.

18. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, I just don't prefer the styling on myself. I will say even derbies look weird if the facings are too far apart with too much tongue showing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I just place an order throught Amazon for 1 bottle of B 4 conditioner 16 oz shipped to Spain. Crazy exchange rate, shipping and handling fees. Total 35 EU.!!

20. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

The only best derby is our military blucher design during WWII to early 60s.