1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Pat, the Church book leather shoes you talked about the day before, how were you able to greased it? Was the finish porous?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I mean, I am sure it is. I put a touch obenauf's leather oil on it seemed to dry fine. FWIW, that binder stuff is touch as nails. Steven the owner of Leffot has had his pair for ages. He says he even shovels snow in them and just puts a bit of reno on them and brushes them and they look fine.

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I have some boots in matte black Guidi calf leather. Any suggestions on what to condition them with so as not to make them shiny and lose the matte finish?

4. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Use a lotion and then shoe cream.

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Won't that "shine" them? I don't want to lose the matte finish.

6. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

That'll give it a low shine. Or else, wear it till it breaks down LOL.

7. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

You can try Saphir MDO Graisse. It's a grease, so less is always best.

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

@traverscao , thanks for the suggestions! They're Vibergs, so they'll probably last years with no care...

9. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

If they are Vibergs, then...

Saphir MDO Graisse, or Montana Pitch Blend leather dressing, in very little amount (bare finger tips, swipe over the product, then apply on the leather), then, don't forget to brush daily.

You'll have well nourished leather without being too shiny for your taste.

10. Munky

Munky Senior member

This is a bit steep. Some guys on here have upwards of 30 pairs of shoes. If they 'brushed daily' they would hardly have time to do anything else.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

I think what he really means is brush before/after wearing them.

1 person likes this.
  12. Munky

Munky Senior member

Short of surgery or botox, does anyone have any suggestions about how to get ready made shoes, that fit, when you have a low instep? Right fit tends to mean totally closed lacing on Oxford shoes (thus with no further chance to tighten the laces). Larger shoes or small ones clearly offer no fit at all. Any thoughts would be welcome. I remain, as always, your servant, Munky.

13. ntempleman

ntempleman Senior member

Some sort of padding on the rear of the tongue might help you.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I would say to play with some inserts..perhaps...I know AE has an Ortho insert that I love and use for varied shoes..not for the Ortho properties just to help with fit. Someone already suggested tongue pads.

purchased several different kids of inserts off of Amazon and a few other places...think I spent about $100 bucks on them to find what I liked but it was well worth it as I was able to dial in several pairs of shoes and boots that I would otherwise have had to sell at a big loss or not worn much due to fit.

15. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, Kahuna
    Yup I have tried a lot of these: orthotic inserts of various sorts, tongue pads (which always looked awful!) and insoles of various sorts. I have settled for the latter. Oddly enough, as the shoes wear in, I can often take the inserts out. I think it is probably due to the soles becoming more flexible. As you have raised this range of options, I think I will have another go at orthotic inserts!

One other observation. I have noticed that heavy brogue shoes tend to have a wider 'throat' than dress shoes. This can make life difficult for those of us with low arches.

Thanks again.

16. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Tongue pads are the only thing I've found that worked. Insoles crunch my toes and fudge up the balance i.e. heel pushed up out of the heelcup, topline at an awkward height. I always have in the back of my mind how bad the tongue pad adhesive is for the lining, though.

17. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Probably the only solution that won't throw off fit significantly.

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

DW, in an ideal world, everyone would have similarly shaped feet. Give that they don't (and that we choose or can only afford, off the shelf shoes) is it not reasonable to do 'whatever it takes' to make them comfortable? Those of us with flat feet will, presumably, change the shape of our shoes, just as those with high arches will change theirs. Why, then, is it wrong for some of us to 'change the balance of our shoes' (with inserts and so on), when others (with high insteps) will change theirs, 'naturally', by just wearing them? Are those with the high arches the winners here?

19. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

WADR, Munky, it's not a morality play--IOW, I don't think there's anything "wrong" with doing whatever you want to with your shoes/feet. But as you yourself said, you already have all kinds of inserts. So why are you asking about other solutions?

Right or wrong aside, adding an insert inside the shoe changes the heel to ball length, the shape of the bottom and the interior volume. That's just hard, scientific, mechanical, fact. And among the results will be all those things (and more) that Jaywhyy and others have mentioned.

Seriously, if inserts work for you and you aren't discommoded in some way or the other, and aren't worried about whether you are altering the fit of your shoes...and possibly the health of your feet...then count your blessings. You have a solution, many other people don't. Except MTO or bespoke.

Please accept my apologies if this seems dismissive or brusque (I didn't mean it that way)...at times I just feel a need to cut to the heart of the matter, as who should say.

20. patrickBOOTH

And penises (peni?)