• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't stress too much about getting it ALL off. Give them a nice cleaning and most of the wax will come up. You would be better off to err on the under did it than over did it side when it comes to removing wax. After cleaning brush buff them RELENTLESSLY this will redistribute whatever wax is remaining. If they shine back up your work is done. If not then give them ONE coat of wax and buff RELENTLESSLY again.

Gerry

Reaction score
I've read through some of this thread, but I want to make sure I will be doing things correctly before I make any purchases. So here is my plan...

1. Clean with Saphir Renovateur Cleaner and conditioner (http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-renovateur.html) using a cotton cloth.

This is where I am a bit confused. A lot of the guys here mention this product in conjunction with the words, cleaning and conditioning but on Avels own site(http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/shoe-polish-renovator-saphir-medaille-dor,522) Renovateur is described as a polish, ie: "
Neutral shoe polish for smooth leather, enriched with mink oil", and when used acts just like a polish, hazes up when dry and shines when buffed. Some also suggest it can be used to remove layers of polish but then go on to suggest it can be used between shoe cream and polish in you polishing routine.

Gerry

Reaction score
I've read through some of this thread, but I want to make sure I will be doing things correctly before I make any purchases. So here is my plan...

1. Clean with Saphir Renovateur Cleaner and conditioner (http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-renovateur.html) using a cotton cloth.

This is where I am a bit confused. A lot of the guys here mention this product in conjunction with the words, cleaning and conditioning but on Avels own site(http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/shoe-polish-renovator-saphir-medaille-dor,522) Renovateur is described as a polish, ie: "
Neutral shoe polish for smooth leather, enriched with mink oil", and when used acts just like a polish, hazes up when dry and shines when buffed. Some also suggest it can be used to remove layers of polish but then go on to suggest it can be used between shoe cream and polish in you polishing routine.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Lexol makes a good cleaner. Saphir makes a good saddle soap. You can set a hair dryer on low and gently warm the polish and rub it off (with a good bit of work).
Shell shouldn't need much polish in general should it?

We all have our own polishing and shoe care regimes, just different styles & approaches to ensure our footwear looks good. However I've always understood Saddle Soap to be a bit of a no-no for Shell. Nor do I think it's a good idea to use a hair dryer or any appliance heat source near Shell or even calf for that matter.

The best idea would be to try and wipe off excess polish or wax and then brush hard with a horsehair brush.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We all have our own polishing and shoe care regimes, just different styles & approaches to ensure our footwear looks good. However I've always understood Saddle Soap to be a bit of a no-no for Shell. Nor do I think it's a good idea to use a hair dryer or any appliance heat source near Shell or even calf for that matter.
The best idea would be to try and wipe off excess polish or wax and then brush hard with a horsehair brush.

As you say we all have our own methods. I personally wouldn't have the patience to brush off a caked up pile of polish - but it certainly can be done with enough time and energy.

You are correct, saddle soap in general - certainly a no no - due to PH balance etc. etc. but Saphir saddle soap is formulated for use on shoes so it's fine. I've used it myself with no problems.

Hair dryer - perhaps a little suspect - but again if kept on low setting I've used to fine effect. Bear in mind that heat and steam are commonly used in shoe making and finishing.

Of course, each must chart his own course and develop his own methods!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In all honesty for shell I would just wear them and give them a good brush each day for a long while. Reno in between. When enough time as passed a thin coat of wax. I think use, time, and reno are a good solution to wax buildup.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

You are correct, saddle soap in general - certainly a no no - due to PH balance etc. etc. but Saphir saddle soap is formulated for use on shoes so it's fine. I've used it myself with no problems.

Not intended for Shell I think you'll find, but it's a difficult material to upset - very resilient.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the same questions as well. Should conditioners like Renovateur and Creme Nubiana continue to be used on shined parts of the shoe for their conditioning benefits or are they only used to remove the wax layers?

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Renovateur will take up a good deal of the Saphir polish already on a shoe (you can see the color coming off on your rag). It does not seem to take up much Kiwi wax (based on my experience).

The beauty of Renovateur is that it is indeed a bit of all things: It lifts a little of the existing polish off, applies conditioner, and leaves enough polish behind to allow for a good shine to develop with just a brushing. Many people simply use Renovateur instead of polish on shoes that have been previously waxed. Personally I worry that I might be over softening the leather so I stick to the same basic techniques I've used for years. Although today I use Reno instead of Mink Oil as a conditioner:

Personally I simply brush my shoes fairly vigorously before each wear. When they start to not look shiny I:

One coat Renovateur - leave 10 minutes - brush.
One coat cream polish on entire shoe - leave 10 minute - brush.
One coat wax on entire shoe - leave 10 minutes - brush.
Additional coats of wax on toes and heals as desired.

I then go back to brushing before each wear until they start to not hold the shine at which point I repeat the above.

As a basic routine I don't know of any simpler or more effective basic method. Of course there are many ways to care for shoes - so others will have different opinions.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't stress too much about getting it ALL off. Give them a nice cleaning and most of the wax will come up. You would be better off to err on the under did it than over did it side when it comes to removing wax. After cleaning brush buff them RELENTLESSLY this will redistribute whatever wax is remaining. If they shine back up your work is done. If not then give them ONE coat of wax and buff RELENTLESSLY again.

Thanks for all the tips from everyone. I sat down last night, re-evaluated, and came to the conclusion that I really didn't have it caked on, but rather my layers had just gotten sloppy (and probably a bit heavy handed). So, I decided to start with a serious buffing. And then buffed some more. And more. And then some more and more again. About 45 mins of buffing total for both shoes. My arms ached.

Well, what do you know - surprise! - my Lindrick's looked a lot better. I think what I accomplished mostly evening out and distributing the existing wax plus abasing off some of the buildup from the folds, brogueing, and stitches.

I had not yet learned the power of the buff, now I know. I feel like I've just acquired another tool in my shoe care arsenal.

Note to self: Remember that relentless buffing you had to do to get things right? Go easy on the wax to begin with.

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you only condition your shoes as often as you re-wax them? That certainly simplifies things. How often do you do this process? Also, why do you use the cream polish in addition to conditioner?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So you only condition your shoes as often as you re-wax them? That certainly simplifies things. How often do you do this process? Also, why do you use the cream polish in addition to conditioner?

I find that I need to do this process after 5-10 wearings in general. As I've only applied a little wax each time the vigorous brushing keeps the shoes shiny and prevents wax buildup.

I use the cream to add color/pigment to the shoes.

The wax I use is Saphir Neutral (The Kiwi Neutral is shite. It is very gray).

This allows me to keep creams on hand in lots of colors and only one shade of wax.

Again - everybody develops their own methods.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that I need to do this process after 5-10 wearings in general. As I've only applied a little wax each time the vigorous brushing keeps the shoes shiny and prevents wax buildup.
I use the cream to add color/pigment to the shoes.
The wax I use is Saphir Neutral (The Kiwi Neutral is shite. It is very gray).
This allows me to keep creams on hand in lots of colors and only one shade of wax.
Again - everybody develops their own methods.

neutral color wax is a slight abrasive and can be used as a cleaner. per olga berluti.

and per men's ex, the order they use is cream -> conditioner -> wax.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

neutral color wax is a slight abrasive and can be used as a cleaner.  per olga berluti.

and per men's ex, the order they use is cream -> conditioner -> wax.

interesting information - I knew neither of this bits of information, than you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics