**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Well sure. The question though isn't whether it makes it perfectly waterproof, but whether it makes it more waterproof

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Bulling toes and heel is no harm, no foul, I would venture to say. But polishing the the rest of the shoe probably does little other than impart a shine. Leather is meant to breathe and to flex. Hard waxes flake off. If you doubt this spit shine the whole vamp. They will look wonderful...until you wear them.

And over the long haul, heavy coats of wax on areas that flex--such as everywhere except the toe and heel--will be a major contributor to cracking.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Thanks for that, i think most of us knows this. Note my particular reference to toe and heels. And there is no need to go full bulling. A light coat will often do fine to protect against inadvertent scratches. My post is more directed towards the general sweeping comment that all shoe care products do nothing. Beg to differ, speaking from direct experience, recently rejunevating wife's riding boots with Glenkaren and Saphir cream.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're missing the point, I'm saying they mostly just do something to the aesthetics, not really much in terms of health.

5. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Key is to know and use a product the way it is supposed to. Cleaning is a step in proper maintenance everyone knows that but is not all inclusive. Cleaning alone will not suffice on its own over the long haul. Obviously a conditioner, polish or waxes is not to be left on the upper to dry by itself, not sure who here is that mis-informed to do that. Conditioners, polishes should be throughly rubbed/buffed out and the pores that it may go into equally brushed or else these becomes a magnet for dirt.

I dont see anyway how a well polished shoe can attract "more" dust than one that does not have anything on it. Note key here is not to assume that it has been smothered with paste sitting on top.

6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Am I? Perhaps read my post again, concerning protection against scratches.

7. patrickBOOTH

Scratches are aesthetic I'm talking about health of the leather fibers.

8. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Yes, of course, now i get your point. so do you suggest that the best regiment is just to brush shoes before putting on, brush after taking off, stay out of rain, shoe trees, rotate?

9. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Have you used the GK creme on shell? Results?

10. patrickBOOTH

11. DWFII

You can't have it both ways...either some amount of residue from conditioners and /or waxes remains on the surface of the leather or putting them there, in the first place, is useless in the face of brushing or rubbing them off.

Conditioners such as Bick4 disappear into the leather almost immediately. Note that the critical concept there is "into." It doesn't need to be brushed or wiped off. Little in the way of residue is left on the surface if it is applied in reasonable amounts.

A well polished or well conditioned shoe does not, perhaps attract more dirt, but because waxes and heavy body conditioners sit on the surface of the leather, they hold that dirt longer. And it builds up. A lot of it has to do with what the composition of the waxes and conditioners. What's in them.

And if a shoe is highly polished all over, it isn't even the wax itself...all other things being equal...that does the damage. It is the cracks that develop in the wax getting deeper and deeper with every application of wax, which, in turn, holds the dirt deep in those "crevasses" where it works just like sandpaper on the fibers of the leather.

12. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Interesting. Thanks for that. The dirt in these crevasses would only scratch the surface of the leather, i gather, which to PB is merely an issue of aesthetics, not health of the fibres. Also, the implication is that fibres are not present on the surface of leather, which sounds hmmm, but i take it on face value.

13. DWFII

Not really true...try to envision the leather and the way it moves when the shoe is walking--the leather over the joint/treadline folds in on itself and any dirt (which is not often soft "stuff" but rather super fine particles of rock and glass) is rubbed together and against the leather....cutting through the surface and into the fibers as surely as if you were rubbing the surface of the leather with sandpaper. It is no accident that shoes crack most where the leather flexes most.

Also the grain surface of a leather is the most vulnerable to this scratching.

No one really knows for sure what causes cracking but over the years I have seen many instances where customers who claim to be the most diligent in maintaining and conditioning their shoes ended up with the earliest and most drastic cracking.

Creams, and/or products containing neatsfoot oil, mink oil, mineral oil, beeswax, drying solvents such as benzene or turpentine, and tallow come up again and again as the products most used when such cracking is at its worst.

--

14. Munky

Munky Senior member

Just to engage in reducio ad absurdum, for a moment - can we assume that a pair of shoes that have only received regular brushing and nothing else, could wear as well as a pair to which some sort of cream/wax had been applied? And look as good?

15. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Good to hear. I didn't even think about using that. I've used the Saphir Cordovan Creme with decent results. As long as I don't put it on too heavy, much like anything else.