**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. OREO

OREO Senior member

[​IMG]
    Thought i'd share my DIY job, recessed toe taps. Didn't get them as flush I wanted but i'm happy with the result.

2. chewbocka

chewbocka Well-Known Member

Nice! Any pics of the process? What size are those? They look huge

3. OREO

OREO Senior member

size 11, i didn't no, but thats i good point, i'll document the process next time

4. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

So Patrick, with regards to my quarter century old, but unworn and inbox Florsheim Imperials, what should I do? Should I condition and polish?

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. patrickBOOTH

I'd use the Saphir cordovan Cream or GlenKaren cream personally. Shell is a stuffed leather so it has tons of oils impregnated into it. the Cordovan cream contains neatsfoot and the GlenKaren coconut oil, so that should help them and certainly won't hurt them.

Last edited: May 23, 2014

7. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

With all these discussions the bottom line does not change and there is more to it than Aeisthetics alone. A well maintained shoe not only looks better but will last longer than one that has been uncared for.

Just leave a shoe uncared and wear it on a regular basis and lets revisit this a year or two from now.

8. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Saphir cordovan cremes are excellent, definitely better than AE's and Bergols similar products. Use it as it is supposed to be used (directions on the jar)

9. patrickBOOTH

I'd actually argue that keeping them clean and away from rain is the best thing you can do for them.

10. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Leather dries and needs conditioning, including shell. Polish helps repel and protect from the harsh elements of weather including snow and rain to an extent. All things on earth needs maintenance living or non living shoes and leather included.

11. patrickBOOTH

Ok, that's a great canned response, but my argument is that the majority of shoe care products aren't doing much of anything. I'd even go as far to say they attract dust and dirt and such that needs to be cleaned off more frequently. Polish does little to repel the "harsh" elements if anything at all, unless you are coating the shoes in a quarter inch thick layer of beeswax and carnauba.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Evidently wax Polish helps repel the water which rolls off rather than penetrate the leather. Is even that point under debate?

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

There's a difference between maintaining and smothering. pB has the right of it when he says that keeping your shoes clean is the most important form of maintenance.

Waxes do repel and protect shoes from the elements but they also tend to collect grit and other micro-fines which are abrasive and contribute to cracking. But a thin layer of wax is not the same as a coat of rubber...or the synthetic surface of a bonded-leather upper. Wax repels incidental water but it doesn't make your shoes waterproof.

Similarly with heavy bodied conditioners. If a conditioner isn't absorbed by the leather completely...and more or less immediately...it's not going to condition the leather. It's not going to do anything but sit on top and collect dirt.

There's another point...hard waxes flake off, conditioners and/or creams don't.

14. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Waxed surfaces eg toe and heels protect the leather from scratches and scuffs, for example, when your shoe edge brushes against the other shoe. Cumulative effect over years is significant. I am sure PB will find a point to debate, which is inevitable once an opinion is entrenched. I should also mention colouring and antiquing effects of creams and such.

15. patrickBOOTH

It is actually. Water definitely gets through it, especially when you're walking a lot in the rain like here in NYC, it's not just a quick spurt to the car. Wax polish is certainly not a strong barrier. If it were conditioners over it would be useless.