**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Naked leather like that burnishes because it almost acts as litmus paper when something with a higher ph than the leather itself comes in contact with it. The key is to try touching it up with something acidic to bring the ph back below it's isoelectric point such as vinegar.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

PB, do you do anything to care for your Buttero? I do exactly nothing and love the result...

3. patrickBOOTH

Well, mine are black, so they don't really "patina" the same way. I basically just conditioned them once, and just brush them now and again.

4. dlind

dlind Senior member

Fair enough.

5. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Vass's are better made shoes than StC which are betterthan GG's.. capisce

6. patrickBOOTH

Do we even know that? I know for one that I don't like the waists on Vass shoes.

7. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Are we talking of style or construction?

8. patrickBOOTH

Well, I can't comment on the construction. As far as I know they are both par in terms of construction. I am saying, I don't like the waists on them. That is somewhat stylistic and somewhat not. A tighter waist feels better on my very high arches and I also don't like the look.

9. dlind

dlind Senior member

Nope not on par, Vass hand stitches the soles while StC does that by machine so if we follow the same logic as we did before then construction vise Vass > StC. Also I think, but i'm not sure, that StC buys insoles with the feather already pre cut instead of cutting it by hand which is the traditional way and is supposed to create a stronger feather. (Not 100% sure my terminology is correct, if it isn't I apologise.)

10. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Construction wise Vass is a one man one shoe type of deal, where in he does everything from start to finish apart from clicking. Just like the Mercedes AMG engines. I think there are certain merits to this process.
    STC is equally well constructed but IMO there are small nuances that VAss stands out in this regard.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  11. patrickBOOTH

No arguments there. Still don't like their waists. Also, many people have expressed issues with their leather uppers not being cut from great quality hides, or poor areas. Haven't experienced it myself, however.

12. dlind

dlind Senior member

I wouldn't go as far as to say poor areas but it seems logical that they use more of the hide then StC given the price point.

13. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

People are entitled to their opinion, however I personally have yet to see any examples of poor skin being used for their counters etc. Hell even their tongue cut out for the oxford which is not one piece with the vamp seems to be same quality as the vamp leather.

14. patrickBOOTH

There are several examples on Style Forum.

15. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I've no desire to get into the middle of a discussion of the relative merits of these two makers but I will observe that the premium look and best practices dictates smaller, tighter, outsole stitching...whether it be by hand or machine...rather than long, clunky, in-your-face outsole stitching even if it is done by hand.

I once had a dance teacher tell me something that I suspect applies across the board, to any aspect of craft or art--"large gestures (movements) look clumsy even if they are intended."

Fact of the matter is...in my opinion...hand-stitching (and I offer it at 11-12spi) brings very little to the game that isn't superficial...and thereby subjective. For me, that's reason enough to learn and master the technique but for the customer, I'm not so sure it's moot.

Last edited: May 8, 2014