**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I don't doubt it.

A resole would not address any creak in the back of the shoe...either in the counter/heel stiff area nor in the way the lasting margin is secured to the insole. It might not even address the issue of a creak in the heel stack unless the stack were broken down into individual lifts and rebuilt. That's the expedient beauty of using nails to build a shoe--you can take a component like the heel stack off entire and just nail it back on...with long enough nails.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

For the Buttero guys who experience squeaking, this is likely the insole rubbing and making that sound. Try to simply lift the insole and put a little bit of talc/baby powder, shake t around the shoe, empty any excess, and put the insole back in.

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Thanks Greg! I'll try that tomorrow.

4. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just wanted to reflag this in case of anyone has any good ideas of what I can put on veggie tanned leather:

Noticed a few scratches and little discoloration on the side of the shoe. Not sure how it happened, but any ideas on getting the color back to normal? I have light and medium brown Saphir creams but afraid to use it for spot treatment and get into more trouble.

5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

It's funny you mention that pb....cause my StC's creak like crazy...

I really think its more an issue of fit than anything else...

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

G&G factory is still very young even adding a few more years time, while SC's been around the block for almost two decades. G&G only started their own factory around 2007 or 2008.

No one possibly owns any G&G's own factory made RTW for more than seven years to tell how it really holds up.

7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

No one is going to have a satisfactory answer for you simply because it's a naked veg tanned leather probably hot stuffed with oils. Every time you bump it against something the leather will burnish like that. That's what leather like that does.

I see no real damage to the grain surface of the leather.

My advice is just to accept it for what it is. Or put some Lexol-nf on it...on the whole shoe. Or maybe some Rm Williams Saddle Dressing.

Warning...some darkening of the leather will occur esp. if you overdo it but that's what has already happened where the leather has been bumped.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Agreed. You should embrace the veg tan leather and how quickly it changes. This is what makes those sneakers different. You'll be very happy with the non uniform patina and marks over time - it really gives character. And, yes, the shoes will darken a good couple of shades over time, with wear, moisture, etc... even if you never put any cream or oil on it. The leather will also soften significantly.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Who can say? One can, in fact, say G&G's aren't as well made. That's a fact. There's also reason to believe your cherished Bestettis aren't what the fanboy's think either...

I don't think it's fit at all, I can put my hand in the shoe apply pressure and recreate the squeak. At least Saint Crispins can adjust fit issues...

10. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Bestetti has received some criticism as of late...but I have not yet received my shoes from him...and so it will be some time before I can comment from my own experiences with him. So far though, his service and flexibility with customization has been top notch...he will let you do anything you want...with prices that rival StC...

As far as people complaining about that fact that his shoes crease...all shoes crease...and it doesn't bother me one bit...if people don't like the creases....don't wear the shoes...

I have my first pair of G&G Deco's on the way....so we will see when they arrive how they stack up to my StC's...including my new StC's which should be arriving soon...

And later on...my Bestetti's...

11. patrickBOOTH

12. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

Thank you both and really appreciate your input. I'm going to embrace the marks and keep my eyes on the future patina - look forward to it! Glad I'm not missing anything had there been a better way to care for these shoes, and I'm new to veg tanned leather and it's unique qualities. Just love the color so much and they are still in their "new shoe" state...until now I guess.

I'm going to wear the crap out of these guys on the weekends and see what happens over time!

13. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Ugh, you're going to give me nightmares PC!

14. dlind

dlind Senior member

That's a bit patronising don't you think? No reason to suspect that the gemming has anything to do with the shoe squeaking, the cause is more likely the heel or the cork filling like DWFII mentioned.

15. patrickBOOTH

I wasn't implying anything about the squeaking. That's unrelated. I was referring to his previous comment that G&G's are better made shoes that Saint Crispins, when it is blatantly wrong. His statement should have read, "I like G&G's more."