**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have noticed if you get decently quality heels (which come on good brand shoes) you pretty much get a hole around the same time as your heels are looking shabby. Then again it depends on a lot of things just as the thickness of the sole and such, but many cobblers and shoemakers say that you shouldn't be wearing your soles down to get a hole in the first place.

2. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

This probably varies by shoemaker, but Allen Edmonds will replace just the heels on their shoes: http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...iew?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1.

I don't know if heels wear out before any other part of the shoe. My guess is that it probably depends on your gait and the way the shoe fits your foot. Some people say that the toes of their shoes wear out before anything else.

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks for your thoughts on this, guys. I have noticed that I am quite good at wearing out the tips of my shoes, by having them frequently caught in paving stones.

I suspect that companies count on not too many people taking up the offer...but are able to demonstrate how 'customer friendly' they are.

Walking being what it is, I can't imagine the whole of a heel and sole wearing out at the same time.

4. larrywright

larrywright Member

Good to know. I'll check out the GlenKaren conditioner then.

I've got a couple of shoes that are vintage shell. One pair dating to the mid-90s, this one dating to the late 60s. The only texture variation I've seen is in the "valley" part of the rolls that shell are so famous for. I've not seen much variation other than that, but my experience is somewhat limited. Neither pair were particularly dry, in my opinion.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vintage shell looks very plasticy compared to what I see on new shell (minus Alden who shellacks their shell).

6. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

Apologies for the derail....

but can I use shoe polish to polish belts? I've a few AE belts that are now showing scuffing/wear and wanted to know.

Thanks

7. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

I asked the manager of my local AE store the same question. He said you can, but be careful of it staining your clothes. I haven't tried it.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

This is very true. When I got my vintage florsheim imperials off ebay, they arrived and I thought I'd been had b/c of how "fake" and plasticky the uppers looked.

9. benhour

benhour Senior member

You make me blush dear friend !! always happy to help and share!

so i ll use them to make my shoes dirtproof....... hahaha
    btw like the traditional "outfit" of places along the world
    really happy to see that the "craziness" in that thread isn't lost

some pics of a project i recently started for the crazy guys here
    [​IMG][​IMG]

edit(adding pictures)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  10. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

Are they cordovans? Shells can look that way (especially when over polished).

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Yes, they're cordo. And they were overpolished. Also about 40 years old at least and very dry.

12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

If the uppers squeak by squeezing it together, is it because the leather is too stiff? Would using Lexol benefit? I would rather apply the lexol on the inside to prevent darkening of the uppers.

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Unless it's Lexol-NF (neatsfoot formula), it won't darken the upper.

The reason leather creaks is leather rubbing/sliding across leather. If the creak comes from the area of the insole/outsole, there may be no help for it. If it comes from the upper it may go away as the shoe breaks in.

FWIW..."creaking" is the proper term and was once considered desirable as a signifier of new shoes.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  14. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Thanks for the correction.

So it looks like it's unnecessary to apply Lexol to mitigate the creaking sounds then?

Never knew creaking was something desirable, but definitely very interesting to know!

EDIT:

DWFII

You're definitely spot on. The creaking was due to the tongue rubbing on the other parts of the leather (that never happened to any of my other shoes though) Hopefully this will go away with wear. Thanks.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  15. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Had a nice time in the park with my Butteros yesterday and noticed a few scratches and little discoloration on the side of the shoe. Not sure how it happened, but any ideas on getting the color back to normal? I have light and medium brown Saphir creams but afraid to use it for spot treatment and get into more trouble.

Any ideas?