1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

To owners of Berluti shoes - what exactly is the yellowish polish that had some sort of greasy texture used by the Berlutians? Is it some sort of a grease? Or is it a kind of secret-of-the-trade polish that is yet to known by outsiders?

All helps appreciated in advance.

2. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

its Glen Karen lemon sorbet flavored shoe cream

don't eat the yellow snow.

3. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Senior member

Thanks. Will do!

4. benhour

benhour Senior member

i cant be 100% sure but this looks like a mark that i had on one of my pairs , it was from the conditioner(to be 100% i have to see the shoes in person)!(it was the time when i was overdoing it with the renovateur hahahah) !! i think you applied a lot of conditioner on that area and you left it to get absorbed!! the whiter spots are where there were more conditioner so when the rest vamp dried these areas were still "wet" and the surface tension of the liquid dragged "the color"!! try to apply a little amount of conditioner or renovateur and massage the area till all is absorbed !! with the heat of your fingers and the conditioner agents you ll even the color!! the cracking must be from the polish! i would use dubbin but its a little tricky how to use it on formal shoes!!(remember on dubbin less is more, and when i say less i mean it hahaha just pass your finger on the dubbin surface and then on the shoe, let it dry for 12-24 and then brush : if you over do it dubbin ll need maybe more than 3-4 days to completely dry)
    they have a more "raw" surface and they apply a finishing spray that if i am not mistaken has silicon in it!!(its some kind of shinning or burnishing finishing spray depends on the model)

5. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Regarding AE shits, it's kinda washable, so I guess water based ink was used.

6. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Seems that the ones with the biggest shoe problems here fall in two camps.

A) Take zero care of shoes and/or have old worn shoes to begin with. No shoe trees, no regard for weather, no nothing.

B) put way too much crap in their shoes and then find themselves seeking solutions to undo the mess they have made.

Maybe good shoe care by using trees, keeping them dry, wiping them free of dirt and brushing; and occasional application of a "little" conditioner or cream or wax is all it needs to preserve.

2 people like this.
  7. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

@Munky good question about brushes. I do not wear any black shoes and I also only use neutral polish and wax so I use one big brush for all dusting and buffing.

Admittedly, I maintain the sole side of the waist and the sole edges with cleaners and wax so I use another black brush for that "dirty" work.

My thought process is: unless if you use black polish on occasion and also maintain very light shoes, I imagine the pigment transfer DW spoke of would be marginal.

8. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

There's a problem with using dusting brush for polishing - it jams the grimes and dirts back into the leather. My advice - be aware of that scary phenomenon.

9. Munky

Munky Senior member

What are the pros and cons of Dainite soles?

10. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Pros
    1. Easy to care for
    2. Last a long time
    3. Good in the rain
    4. Can be perceived as informal

Cons
    1. Can be perceived as informal
    2. Some say it limits breathability
    3. Can be stiff in the cold
    4. Take longer to break in
    5. Slippery on ice

1 person likes this.
  11. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, Jerry, that's very helpful! [​IMG]

12. benhour

benhour Senior member

once i removed it from a friends pair i used renomat so i cant be sure!! thanks for the info travers!!

13. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I used to wash a whole load of these inks off of my boots' sole and heel edges, which, in the process, expose the raw leather of the sole and heel edges, so I learn to know and hate this kind of shitty treatment.

Once the finish is torn off of the leather, shell will be dull, and calf will be rough as raw stone.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Very well said. As enthusiasts, many of us (myself included) start out wanting to do more to enjoy the hobby. This can lead to over caring for one's shoes and it's easy to go overboard. Ideally one should inevitably strike more of a balance and end up somewhere nearer your third point.

With that said, this thread can be entertaining. Having read and participated for some time now...

The phenomenon is certainly not unique to the shoe care thread, but has happened so often over the years it fun to watch.

15. benhour

benhour Senior member

something a little uncommon!! i had some free time today so i thought lets treat our soles!!
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the photo light was a little bit off

16. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Interesting...What´s the treatment if may I ask?. Any functional purpose?.

17. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

To stain a nice, off-white, Berber carpet, perhaps?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  18. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

What's the best way to polish sole edges? I have a dressing from either AE or kiwi in black for sole edges, but need it for a few Brown shoes.

Is cream polish effective on edges? Or will that wear off too quickly?

Maybe a 2oz sample of brown paint from the local hardware store? Thanks.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to be really anal about the sole edges. Now, I can't even remember the last time I treated them. The older I get the less I care. Hate to see how I am at 35...

1 person likes this.
  20. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I use fiebings sole dressing.