**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Sooo what size are these? =P

2. larrywright

larrywright Member

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Pity. They look nice.

4. larrywright

larrywright Member

They do. I wish they were size 13, I'd wear them myself.

5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

6. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

Incredible! What did you use to clean them up?

7. larrywright

larrywright Member

The process looked like this:

- Brush heavily to get the dust off
    - Reno
    - Brush brush brush
    - Deer bone
    - Brush until my arms are tired
    - Allen Edmonds Cordovan Cream

I don't think any of this is special sauce. I could have probably used Venetian Cream in place of Reno. I'm skeptical about the deer bone as well, though it does leave some oil behind which is probably beneficial. If I were keeping these for myself, I probably would have used RenoMat to strip them.

I probably could have stopped after the deer bone. They looked really nice. The leather had more of a glow than a shine. I went ahead and did the cordovan cream as I though that the oils in it would be helpful for the leather, and I knew it would put a nicer shine on it. If I were to find a pair of these in my size somewhere, I'd probably not use the cordovan cream and just rely on Reno/VSC and lots of brushing.

8. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

Very helpful. Thank you. I was curious about Reno and VSC. Didn't know if people use them both in one session or if it it's an either/or situation. Your results are amazing, so I think I'll copy your process with my shell. Thanks again!

9. larrywright

larrywright Member

What doesn't come through in this photo is just how amazing the patina is on these shoes. It's incredible, and one of the reasons I'm so fond of shell. I've never seen any other leather that ages so beautifully. If there's interest, I'll try and take a few more photos from different angles to try and show the patina.

As an aside, the reason I grabbed these shoes from his belongings to sell is that I know a lot of his clothes/shoes will end up going to Goodwill or something similar. I couldn't bear the thought of a pair of shoes like this ending up with someone who wouldn't appreciate them for what they were. Selling them on Ebay seemed like the best way to ensure that they end up in the hands of someone who would appreciate them and wear them well.

10. larrywright

larrywright Member

I don't think there's any need to use both, and if I had to choose one it would be VSC. Reno is quite bit more expensive and I don't think it's worth it. It does condition nice, but so does VSC. Horween themselves recommend VSC for shell and CXL, which is about as good an endorsement as you can get.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't use VSC in any situation beside shining an already wax heavy toe or heel. The stuff contains petroleum distillates. Fwiw Horween endorses a lot of products. I feel they push vsc because it is their neighbor in chicago's product.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  12. larrywright

larrywright Member

Doesn't Reno contain that as well?

I'm curious then... how would you have shined these shoes?

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

If that's the case, then be sure to offer them to your friends at SF . . . maybe even before you send them to the 'bay. [​IMG]

14. Munky

Munky Senior member

How do these 'send back to the manufacturers for a complete change of sole and heel' deals, work? I would have thought that heels always wear out more quickly than soles (although I stand to be corrected on this). Given that shoe manufacturers usually stipulate that they won't work on your soles and heels if you have already had the cobblers look at them, how do you get around worn heels? Do you just have to walk around with worn heals until a hole appears in your soles?

Or until a hole appears in your soul, perhaps.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

No it doesn't. I probably would have put a light coat of GlenKaren conditioner cleaner over them, let them dry for 10 minutes, brushed like crazy, let sit another 10 minutes and them used wax paste on the toe and heel. Then again, every instance of "vintage" shell I have encountered has been very strange in texture most likely to being very dry. New shell behaves very differently.