**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

If creams and conditioners are ruled out, what are left? Waxes? Or nothing but brushing?

Personally, I think you can go a long way with just brushing.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

On my AE wax leather boots I used Obenauf's HDLP and simply applied it with my fingers - this way you can not over do it- for me it was perfect as I wanted to retain the look of the waxy leather and protect the boots. Let dry and brushed. I go very light on the stuff and have done two coats on my boots over a 4 month period. I have no plans to do it again until the fall.

Also have used for shoes that I wear in sketchy weather some Aussie Balm...again using a little at a time applied with my fingers to avoid over doing it. I love this stuff as it has given life to some pretty worn done items.

3. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

So I am interested to know what actually happened to your shoe. What was this damage and what caused it? How did the cobbler fix it?

FYI, wives always say they they can't see what we are talking about. It's their way of getting us to shut-up about something they don't care about (namely us being OCD about some aspect of our clothing). ;-)

4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I think wax is good to help nourish the shoe, recover some of the color, cover up scrapes and other misc. damage, and for giving the toes and heels a high shine.

I still use it...but sparingly in terms of the amounts applied...and certainly not on a frequent basis.

Brushing is good for day to day use.

5. benhour

benhour Senior member

all things are needed, the tricky part is to know when and how to use it!!! over use of any product will have the opposite effect that is supposed to have!!!

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, Benhour! I've learned a lot from you over the past months! Regards, Munky.

7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

The most important factor is to keep the shoes clean.

Oils and conditioners are dirt magnets the way a man in a kilt* is a chick magnet.

Wax will not nourish the leather but it will protect it.

Brushing is always good as it tends to remove dirt.

*[​IMG]

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

9. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Member

I don't know and the cobbler didn't really seem interested in speculating. To him it was just another job, and evidently he could tell by looking at the shoes that it wasn't going to be a tough job. He did mention I'd applied too much polish. I'm not sure if he was suggesting that had something to do with my little problem or if it was just a general observation. To fix the problem all he did was wax and polish.

I'm not sure what brand wax he used or how he did the polishing, but it sure worked! By the time I picked the shoes up the owner was long gone and some teenaged hipster wannabe was minding the store. I usually don't even bother attempting a conversation with such creatures so I didn't ask questions.

It is funny how my wife expects me to drop what I'm doing when she want's to know what earrings to wear even though you can't see them from more than about 5 feet away, but when I have a catastrophic footwear event she couldn't care less!

10. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

:cheers:

11. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

would like some advice. about to experiment with saphir color on an old pair of tan short wings that don't get any wear -
    and was hoping that playing around with color / attempting a high shine might encourage me to wear them more.

The advice needed is how necessary is saphir pommadier cream polish?

From reading the hanger project's site (the presidential shine, i think) they suggest:
    Renomat -> Renovateur -> Cream Polish -> Wax Polish

My situation is that i am buying Invulner and a suede brush and to get free shipping i am going to add Renomat and both light and medium brown wax,
    the Renomat is cheap and handy to have (maybe one day i will be bold enough to strip Alden gloss from #8) for stripping down old wax, especially if i start to play silly buggers trying (and possibly failing) to use both the medium and the light brown wax. Getting both browns is cheap and i am not sure which i will go for in the end ... plus with the renomat i can easily strip down experiment that have gone wrong.

what i plan to do is:
    Renomat -> Renovateur -> Wax

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

12. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Why even use the Renomat? Just with Reno and polish you'll probably darken it and change as needed.

13. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

Might just leave the renomat until (if) a disaster happens.

Any bad experiences with Saphir's Pommadier Polish in Neutral rather than the colored ones?

14. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Thank you, that actually makes FUN sound a bit like cordovan: holds a bit of a natural shine and creases heavily, only maybe the FUN is softer. I don't care much about creases as I seem to crease the hell out of my shoes--at least that's what forum members say--I hadn't ever thought about a shoe crease before hand. I know I just put many hurried miles on them. The CRU sounds a little like what my G&Gs are made of.

Thank you for the insight. I'll probably stick to the suggested FUN on my ordered pair of 105s as they are just for weekend and anything-but-office wear; I'll save the CRU for any future work shoes that I put in for.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

FUN is absolutely nothing like shell cordovan. Complete opposite end of the softness and weight spectrum, grainy, and creases a lot. Shell doesn't crease as it does "bend" or "roll". I would not recommend getting FUN if you think you will get cordovan. Completely opposite. I would say G&G's leathers are more like a heavier dyed CRU, almost in between CRU and VNA. Saint Crispins allows more of the natural character of the leather to show through and doesn't make it as opaque. A true crust.