• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The vigorous brushing has done the damage and taken the finish off. Try first applying some creme polish and then couple of thin layers of wax, buff lighty but thoroughly and see the results. AE cordovan creme in similar color is a good choice before Saphir.

Thank you for the confirmation of what I thought was happening. I have been moisturizing w/ Lexol conditioner over the entire vamp, and particularly the worn areas, and will proceed with the creams you suggested. Even with just the lexol and a bit of saphir cordovan creme, the blotches are already looking less menacing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Have you gone through all your GK conditioner already or just always looking for different products to try?
Just curious, that's all. Fwiw, I've never used GK conditioner on my shoes. It's very much a cleaner conditioner and for the most part I don't think it's all that necessary if you're using the polishes, which have a lot oils in them all ready.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you for the confirmation of what I thought was happening. I have been moisturizing w/ Lexol conditioner over the entire vamp, and particularly the worn areas, and will proceed with the creams you suggested. Even with just the lexol and a bit of saphir cordovan creme, the blotches are already looking less menacing.
I disagree with that assessment. Looks like good ole wax build up to me.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree with that assessment. Looks like good ole wax build up to me.

Even with the texture change? The photo isn't super descriptive in that regard.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologies for x post

Used Lord Sheraton Leather Balsam, Saphir Beaute Du Cuir, Dasco Reno, Punch neutral solid wax and Colonil Supreme Creme de Luxe

C & J Shoe Shine Shunday! Ready for a busy week. There is a cuckoo in the nest however....

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea what this is inside a new pair of shoes? Glue leftover?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just curious, that's all. Fwiw, I've never used GK conditioner on my shoes. It's very much a cleaner conditioner and for the most part I don't think it's all that necessary if you're using the polishes, which have a lot oils in them all ready.

I actually picked up three jars of GK (black, dark brown cream, and cleaner/conditioner) under the impression you really liked the product. Also, stopped using Reno based on your ill experience over the years...

Regarding GK I use the cleaner/conditioner for only the vamp while cream polish for the toe. Been working fine though I'm going to tone it down on the cleaner and apply polish regularly. I probably should give it more time to rest (like 10 min as stated in the website) prior to brushing. I usually just brush after finishing the application on the second shoe.

Fwiw and I think some of the frustration new members have is getting a straight answer from more senior members and regular contributors with experience. That and perhaps less snark and sarcasm. I find pB tends to so this and being a large contributor, some may take it to heart

Regarding new shoes, what would you put on the cap toe for protection from say a nick in the leather? Happened to a brand new pair of shoes when I accidentally kicked a trolly while moving boxes. Nothing too deep, GK worked well in covering it up as I hoped, but a cobbler was busting my balls for not putting anything on the shoe prior to first wear. Considering the thickness of products, did he mean some wax so any surface blemishes would hit the wax first before touching the shoe finish? I would like to avoid an accident again if it means protecting my new shoes properly. But how? Fwiw I am usually very careful where I step...

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I use the cream polish on everything except the toe and heel. For the toe and heel I use his high shine paste, which is just beeswax and carnauba. I just think the cleaner conditioner isn't really necessary unless you want to lift off some wax build-up and recondition under layers of wax. I feel like with once in a while applications of the regular cream polish this won't really be an issue on a regular basis. I also like that the cream polishes aren't solvent heavy at all, whereas the cleaner conditioner is (which is what makes it a cleaner).

If you're having shine issues it's probably because of frequent use of the cleaner/conditioner. There are tons of oils in it and it would be hard to get a shine if you're smothering the leather in that stuff. Speaking to Glen he said using a little bit of the cream is really all you need and every once in a while use the cleaner/conditioner as took much oils won't raise a shine.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from cleaning shoes when they are scuffed or generally dirty, how many 'wears' do most people allow before they give them a polish? If you have a number of pairs of shoes and rotate them, you ain't going to wear them all that often. Do you rotate the polishing too? Again, if so, how often?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads