Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

exactly

2. evolved

evolved Senior member

I tried searching this thread but didn't have much luck (made it through 30 pages so far, lol).....so, sorry if this has been covered already!

I received a new pair of AE Strands in Walnut for Christmas....I absolutely love them. This is my nicest pair of shoes (the rest are nice, but not this nice) and I was wondering on what to do prior to wearing them along with subsequent maintenance.

I was thinking about first using the AE cleaner/conditioner and then following up with the walnut shoe polish (in the tube). Buffing with an old t-shirt and a horsehair brush, as well.

I have been reading a lot about Saphir Renovateur but it seems to be more useful for "shoes in distress". Would it be worth it to purchase this product for brand new shoes? I'm guessing this would go on in place of the AE cleaner/conditioner, if so.

Thanks in advance!

3. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

The Renovateur despite it's name is not only reserved for shoes in distress. It is in fact an excellent conditioner and mild cleaner. It would indeed be used instead of the AE conditioner, which in itself is a good product.

It's up to you if you want to 'upgrade' to renovateur - Personally I think it's a must have product for anyone who is serious about their shoes. A lot of folk here recommend treating their brand new shoes with renovateur to condition them. Personally I don't use the renovateur for this purpose, I tend to condition with something even milder to protect the original finish on the shoe.

Lastly in terms of your proposed shoe care regime - carry on it sound fine!

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

really? man, i didn't know that. many thanks

personally, i do not see the need to condition a brand new pair of shoes...

i treat them with wax(from the tin can) and alternating with cream(tube).

as lear said. you've to find out what suits your situation best. it's more about the quality of the leather and tlc, less for the products, imo.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have shoes that I only wear on days that are rainy. Generally older shoes that have fallen out of favor.

6. mothball

mothball Senior member

Guys, should I be concerned about storing shoes in an unheated closet? I'm about to retire a few pairs for the winter. I guess I'm not as worried about the cold in the closet so much as the dry air, but I'm not sure if I'm correct in thinking that. Thanks!

7. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't be too concerned, however when I put my boots away for the summer I give them a good dose of Renovateur before storing and a good dose again when I take them out.

9. evolved

evolved Senior member

Quote:

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to start with the AE conditioner/cleaner that I had mentioned before. Thanks, again!

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

You only condition every 2 months? I thought you are supposed to condition your shoes fairly frequently.

11. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Your frequency of conditioning should be relative to the conditions the shoe is exposed to (pretty much what patrick_b stated).

A shoe should be conditioned anytime it has been exposed to an unusual amount of water, like walking in the rain or snow without protection.

A shoe that is worn frequently (every other day or so) needs to be conditioned more often than a shoe worn once a week or less (mostly due to perspiration diminishing the oils, and general wear).

Shoes in storage need even less conditioning, but still require some (due to long term oxidation of the leather and oil evaporation).

It is possible to over condition your shoe leather and damage your shoes due to rot over time. If you continually add oil to shoe leather on a frequent basis you can saturate the leather fiber which can trap moisture and retain it until the leather rots. Like everything else, moderation is important.

I condition my chukkas much more frequently than my dress shoes for a couple of reasons: I wear my chukkas in inclement weather much more often than I do my dress shoes (most of my chukkas also have rubber soles), and I have a much larger selection of dress shoes to choose from than I do chukkas.

There is no specific conditioning frequency rule that I am aware of, as even the number of wears is not a good measure. On a typical day in the home office I might put a total of 50 yards of walking on a pair of shoes. However, if I’m flying cross country, I might put in 5 miles of airport terminal walking/running on them (maybe it just feels like 5 miles). I usually condition whatever shoes I have taken, after a trip.

When to condition shoes is more of an art than a science (you have no way to measure the oil saturation ratio in your shoe leather), it’s more about feeling and observing than anything else.

Also keep in mind that both shoe cream and shoe paste contain oils, so every time you polish your shoe you are adding a small amount of oil (less with paste than cream).

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

+1

13. mothball

mothball Senior member

Thanks!

14. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

The sole scuffing is normal, don't worry about it. The scrape down the middle of the toe cap, now that's painful (even to someone that doesn't own the shoes).

This is what I would do:
    1) Put a shoe tree in the shoe.
    2) Rub in a few coats of leather conditioner (Lexol is easy to find) into the area of the scrape, rubbing in the direction to lay the scrape back down (not the direction it was created).
    3) Rub the back side of a table spoon against the scrape a few times, again rubbing in the direction to lay the scrape back down.
    4) let the shoe dry over night.
    5) Repeat the process all over again the next day.
    6) Apply a coat of black cream polish (the shoes look black in the photo) to the whole shoe, being careful around the area of the scrape not to push it back up. Apply polish to the other shoe as well.
    7) Brush the shoes briskly, but gently, to raise a shine.

After you have worn the shoes for awhile, and polished them a few more time, only you will know the scrape was there.

Others may have a different approach, but this has worked for me in similar situations.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

hi glen,

what do you particularly mean by conditioning?

my standard routine/regiment consists of tin can wax alternating with cream. i use some specific leather grease for the sole edge. especially during winter time i apply a thin coat of this on my most exposed shoes.

actually, i own a number of shoes through the timespan of at least two decades, which allows me to go into experimental mode, which includes grounded sole edges(by my cobbler)...