**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

I actually had the same problem where the cobbler lathered brown edge dressing all over my natural edge shoes. I like the sand paper idea only problem is he also got it all over the welt (and even on the shoe in several areas). I tried using my GlenKaren cleaner/conditioner and it took some of it off but it's not strong enough for the amount the cobbler lathered on the sole/heel edge.

I've never seen a need for me to own renomat but I figure this might be a good opportunity to use it. Or should I go pick up some other chemical cleaner since it's only for the sole edge and welt of the shoe?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. SimplyLime

SimplyLime Well-Known Member

Hello gents,

I recently bought a new pair of loafers and decided to clean it as soon as i came home since it kinda looked dusty. Used acetone like what others have suggested. After a few rubs i noticed that i kinda stripped off spme of the finishing hence a producing a lighter spot on the shoe. Now im stuck with an uneven color shoe. How do i fix this? Im gonna post some pics in a while

3. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

As I was shining a pair of G&G Cambridge, the polish on the toe turned a bit cloudy then rubbed away. Looking at it, I think I'm going to have to strip the entire toe. Any way around this?

[​IMG]

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

Let dry for a day or two and see what happens before you do anything drastic; it could be just too much moisture in the leather causing it to swell.

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

Well. Why would you strip new shoes of its finish? Dirty shoes requires nothing but a wet towel to clean....

Shoe cream and the polish. It will take care of some of the color variances. And wear it to remember never use any cleaner on a new pair of shoes.

6. CalzolaiFeF

CalzolaiFeF Well-Known Member

That's not the polish, it looks like you've rubbed off the top finishing coat on the leather.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whomever suggested cleaning new shoes with acetone, find him, and punch him in the face.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  8. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

..twice...hard

9. SimplyLime

Here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the first pic there is an uneven shading unlike the third pic.
    Don't mind of the dark color since I tried experimenting with black wax

Also, what's SF's stand on Kiwi Waxes? I used it in here but before I used the wax, i clean with acetone, condition and use meltonian shoe cream

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can't tell if your a troll or not...

11. Munky

Munky Senior member

The Hangar Project recommends reno, cream and then wax, for shoes straight out of the box. From what I have read, above, this seems like complete overkill. I note that some, above, advocate not putting anything on new shoes. I have followed this advice and won't go near cream or polish until they need them.

My new shoes are Loake 1880, Strands, in Burgundy, which, to my eyes (and my wallet), are beautiful.

12. SimplyLime

I'm sorry I meant using acetone for getting rid of wax faster.
    I'm not really sure if I found it in this thread but somewhere in SF when I was searching a couple of days ago. It's not that visible in the pics but it is in real life.
    However, I use this for cleaning since this is the only stuff I could get my hands with:

[​IMG]

I achieved a nice high shine using that, meltonian shoe cream and around 3-4 rounds of very small amount of KIWI waxes
    yet the uneven mark/leather finish is still noticeable.

How do I restore it to its original color?

Do I strip off everything instead and apply normal shoe cream routine?

Also,

I don't have access to Lexol here in the Philippines, only brands I saw was mother's leather cleaner
    and mostly stuff for leathers in cars. Can I use this instead?

[​IMG]

13. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I was in B. Nelson's the other day...

they said don't put anything on new shoes...

and for a while, after wearing...don't use anything but neutral wax polish...only start using colored wax when the shoes lose some of their color and lustre and need it restored.

interesting procedure...

14. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Not sure who you spoke to, but Nick is the owner and I have spoken to him a few times about the option to use his Saphir Shine - which can be a 2 to 4 step process. If Nick has changed his view, then you could try it . . . or get involved with the videos and 1-5 step process of Saphir products.

Nordstroms department store, just outside of NYC, has one of the best shoe shines in the area, in which they apply a combination cream and wax to all new AE shoes/boots. If you just walk in, the store subsidizes the cost so that all you pay is $2.50 per professional shine. If you buy shoes/boots from them (especially on sale or price match), they give you a free professional shine before you leave the store. Remember to ask the shiner what he/she is applying, in what order, what products, to take notes.

When you buy AE shoes/boots direct from AE, they say "just wear them" until you are ready to nourish them. If you have more than one pair in your collection, you can rotate each pair so each shoe/boot gets time to rest.

All my best,

David

[​IMG]
    Each can build a collection, one pair at a time. Priceless!

15. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

oi vey