1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Thank you, DWF and R. Rider for your usual, helpful, comments on my query about 'never polishing shoes'. I was fairly sure I had read that shoes can be a bit 'dry' straight out of the box. Do either of you use conditioner of any sort before you wear new shoes? I guess that you are the wrong people to ask, as I imagine you only wear shoes you have made yourselves!

Thanks, again.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

IIRC, member edmorel never polishes his calf shoes, only cleans them.

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

yeah, I don't polish shoes, just have them cleaned. I don't like that mirror finish thing that people love but if I wore black shoes all the time, I would probably polish them.

4. RIDER

RIDER Distinguished Member

The Juvacuir should do the trick just fine......I don't think you need to go the dye route. Prep the area's you want to darken first with a little deglazer. Pretty much anything will do....turpentine, mineral spirits, etc. Nothing too harsh.

5. RIDER

For leathers like this all that you really need to use is the simple cream self-shine products that can be had at virtually any repair shop or on Amazon. Tarrago, Kiwi, etc. The jars that come with the sponge applicator attached to the lid.

6. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior Member

What do you use for cleaning? Lexol? I don't like having my shoes polished either.

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Distinguished Member

8. arglist

arglist Senior Member

Thank you so much, Ron. I will try this then. I have ordered their leather soap and the HUSSARD spray to prep the shoes.

9. RIDER

Sure. But, the spray and the soap won't get the sealer off to allow the Juvacuir to penetrate I'm afraid......you probably will have an easier time of it if you use something around the house (even alcohol) to remove the top coat and open the pores of the leather.

10. arglist

arglist Senior Member

Ah, I see. I have clean petrol or Saphir Renomat. Which would you prefer?

Very grateful for your help!

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

You may find that alcohol doesn't do it...won't remove the top coat. At least not without a lot of scrubbing. Nor would I recommend petrol, turpentine or mineral spirits. A lot of this depends on the type of top coat and what it is comprised of.

I'm not familiar with Renomat in actual usage but I suspect it would be your best bet. And no harm no foul if not entirely successful.

Of course, actual leather deglazer is the sure-fire way to remove finish and top coat although it is wise to recondition after using any highly evaporative product. As an alternative acetone.

And be sure to deglaze out of doors where you're not breathing the fumes.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Renomat is insanely effective at removing layers of polish, more so than pure acetone. I know it has acetone in it, but there is some other chemical in it that separates a bit in the bottle when still that when you shake it and mix it together it creates some sort of reaction that is really remarkable.

13. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

IME, leather deglazer has the strongest striping strength, than renomat, dye preparer, acetone, renovateur, and than rubbing alcohol.

One method to strip is to apply strong solution one or two times, and use only weak solutions to strip away most of the color/dye. Make sure leather is dry or you risk damaging the top grain.

14. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior Member

Do you guys use bare hands/fingers for applying renovateur? I used to then read some stuff here and got scared. So then I tried with latex (doctor) gloves but it's not as easy, so then tried with a cloth which works but still not as easy.

I'm now scared of chemicals in all of the Saphir and Collonil 1909 products I own after the on-going "scientific" debates here. I think from now I'm going to polish shoes while wearing a mask and gloves at all times.

15. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Quote:I swipe a bag of my wife's makeup pads - they are kind of like a soft, dense foam - works great for applying creams and paste wax as well as Renovateur and Cordovan Cream.