**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Senior member

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you never put any product on your shoes but only brushed them before and after wearing? Would anything unpleasant happen to them?

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

if unpleasant things don't happen over an extended amount of time, what is the point of this entire thread?

Surely people gets bumps and scratches, they would use some polish to cover it up, and for most people, that about as far as they go.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

3. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thank you for this, Wurger. My post wasn't linked to any other. I was just curious, given that many people advocate minimal use of shoe products.

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Probably dried up leather and premature cracking.

5. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

One of my favourite pairs of shoes has developed holes at the inside of the heels (due to friction). Is this considered as a standard repair by any reputable cobbler? Would the cobbler cut and remove a piece of the inner lining, and replace it with an equivalent piece? The other alternative would be to overlay and glue a new piece on which doesn't sound like a proper thing to do.

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

If they overlay a piece, it will make your shoes feel smaller.

7. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

That would be a bad idea Wurger. It's quite a snug fit as it is and I can only wear thin socks. [​IMG] What is your experience with cobblers in Sydney. Do they carefully remove part of the inner lining at the heel and replace? I imagine it would be a difficult thing to do.

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

9. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Time to interview a few cobblers.... be interesting to find out the price....

10. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

In all likelihood, if you didn't wear the shoes in the rain, if you didn't get mud or ordure on them, if you didn't scratch them or spill wine or beer on them, or leave them too near the heat or in the back of your car to bake in the sun,etc., you'd get years and years of wear out of them.

Conditioners and polishes exist to counter the deleterious effects of forcing leather to be the interface between yourself and harsh reality. Leather often sits for years rolled up in bins before a manufacture buys it and perhaps years more before it is used to make shoes. No one toils unseen in vast midnight warehouses unrolling those hides one by one and conditioning them. No harm, no foul.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

11. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Exactly......we have leathers at the factory that are from the 70's. They are now premium hides and are only used for the highest priced work. We used a bunch of great old bone buck for the Great Gatsby movie's button boots. Studio pays ++ prices, the old leathers are pulled out of the leather room. They don't go bad, just need to be reconditioned a bit. NO factory throws out leather - it doesn't rot on it's own. The environment does that.

12. arglist

arglist Senior member

Forgive me for bumping this but the answers I got don't fully answer my question. I know that I can darken my shoes by using darker cream polishes or wax; I have done that before. The problem I had with that method was that after some time the lighter colour shone through in the creases which looked very messy.

So my question remains: Will Juvacuir be adequate or will I need to buy some teinture française?

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Here is a side-zip boot in what Allen Edmonds calls "polished cobbler":

[​IMG]

I'm pretty certain they won't take a polish, but is there anything I can do to at least condition them?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

14. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Depends on what you put on them. Generally speaking, thin, watery conditioners go into the leather better than pastes or creams. If the shoes can get wet, a conditioners such as Lexol will follow/penetrate. And if the finish is really dense and/or opaque it will begin to break down and come off as the shoe is worn and it creases. So it will be more open to conditioners in those areas...which are usually the areas that most need conditioning anyway.

15. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Polished cobbler is, from my understandment, sanded/split and embossed leather which is quite unpenetrateable for conditioners.