1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

It looks like Chromexcel so tread carefully with any product. I learned to my cost that anything greasy put on it takes an age to soak in and attracts dirt and dust like nobody's business. Any minor scuffs should brush or rub out without any product and a little coloured cream polish will take care of more serious damage. IME of course. Keep them clean, condition occasionally and wear them to bits!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. macpol

macpol New Member

Thank you! :)

3. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Take your time and hope all will go well.

Well, problem with greasy products would be the fact that some of them take too long to absorb, and we run impatient and just leave the goop over the top. Furthermore, many choose to apply a whole shit load of the product, and thus the waiting would take forever. Most of that leather product wasn't even clean prior greasing, therefore had thus thwarted any attempt of the grease to properly absorbed by the leather and being put into good use.

4. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Great contribution, Ben.

Vibram had some kind of magical potion in their heel and sole products, which make them tank tracks. Ordinary stuffs, however, were made light, or flexible, and therefore wear out way too fast.

The worst would have been AE's stuff. They wear out within months. I have to tap nails on the sections to reduce the wear.

1 person likes this.
  5. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Yeah, I didn't apply a whole lot (probably still too much) but still had to leave them for days before it had absorbed enough to properly brush out and even then they were still tacky, which made them dust magnets. Luckily, they were my old beater W1K's so no real harm done

6. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Thanks for the insight. Yes, they can run really sticky and heck, some takes forever to absorb.

I guess when it comes to these heavy treatments, it is important to go for the traditional manual way - soap it heavily with a natural soap, soak it thoroughly, then let it dry completely before began the treatment. It is fairly important, also, that the goop is not left in a cold, or even cool state - that said, you don't necessarily have to melt it before you apply it (although I'd say it is totally rational and consider the best way for all goops to be properly absorbed), but any warm temperature will ease the application process and speed up absorptions.

Of all the greases, I find Saphir's greases absorb fastest and easiest, although over dose could result in goopy state that no one likes. Then comes Montana pitch blend, which I love to use on roughout leather boots and sole edges, because it is heavy in terms of conditioning and impregnations with the mink oil content. I don't know if many of you are familiar with the name, but Grison dubbin grease of France is the toughest stuff to apply. I used to apply the stuff on one of my beater combat boots, and it took me a stove to do the job properly. Other easy going greases includes light substance grease like Huberd's or Obenauf's makes wonderful job.

Furthermore, the frustrating part that people rarely get it right - brushing. Once the grease dries up properly, it will leave a fairly rough surface like that of wax polish. It is important that the grease is thoroughly brushed before the item is used, or else no matter how little grease used the leather will still end up sucking dust and dirt.

Guess I'm being colossal here... But, oh well, I cannot hold it forever.

7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Warm the leather and the grease with a hair dryer. Hold it about 8-12 inches from the surface of the leather. Keep your other hand in the air stream--if your hand gets too hot, the leather is too hot. This takes about five minutes to a relatively dry, non-tacky surface. If the grease will not entirely soak into the leather with hot air, it won't ever soak into the leather.

8. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Thanks DW,

I actually used a hairdryer which confirms I used too much stuff. I now subscribe to the school of less is more

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

You're welcome.

CRXL is, as I recall, a strange product. I have never used it in shoes but I've dealt with Horween for decades and I've had sample pieces sent to me for inspection and evaluation. And I've spoken to Skip about it.

He told me that you could spit shine (bull) CRXL....just takes time and perseverance. I am/was dubious but it does have a rather strange, dense grain surface--if it didn't, any talk about mirror shining the toes, would be entirely silly.

Point is, that such a grain surface will naturally limit the ability of the leather to absorb grease...even in thin applications.

10. malwear

malwear Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi guys,

These are a pair of Carmina shell boots. As you can see, the right boot, and only the right, has these creases that are white-ish in appearance. At first I thought it was just waxy build-up seeping out of the leather, but up close it looks like it may be dryness. It goes away with a brushing but immediately comes back when I wear them.

I've had these for under a year. Probably worn about 20 times. Brushed regularly. Reno twice.

Any thoughts on what's going on and how I can fix it?

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's just he nature of shell. It is totally normal.

2 people like this.
  12. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Nothing.

Enjoy them.

13. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Brush, brush, then cloth, or chamoisine leather. Otherwise, rub some Saphir Shell Cordovan Cream and it'll be fine.

14. GoneBabyGone

GoneBabyGone Well-Known Member

Brand new pair of unworn dark brown lace up boots, leather bottoms with suede uppers. Been waiting until the winter hit to wear them, but I am thinking abiout the wet and salt that comes with a New England winter.

Any suggestions on how to treat the boots before the first wearing, or even if I should treat them at all, so that I can head off any potential problems?

Thanks in advance.

15. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

For treatment a suede protector is your best bet, but either way leather soled suede boots don't seem like a great idea for a proper winter.

16. GoneBabyGone

GoneBabyGone Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  17. aglose

aglose Senior member

I've been wearing my commando soled suede Carmina's and they are fantastic. However, if they were on a leather sole I would not be subjecting them to such abuse. I also use the Terrago Nano suede protector for the uppers.

18. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

+1. Nano protector is a really great product and I use it on all my suede. I have no problem subjecting suede to rain and wet weather but I try to avoid salt conditions in the winter. A leather soled suede boot I probably just wouldn't wear during a New England winter.

Here's a video Leffot made demonstrating Nano Protector. After spraying they pour some coffee on some suede Aldens and it comes right off.

19. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:+2. The stuff works.

20. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

creams are bad.

just brush and if necessary use a very tiny amount of wax polish.