1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

If you are not going to wear a particular pair of shoes, what should you put on them? I have got as far as shoe trees and bags but what about a product? I don't, particularly, want to keep taking them out of the bags to clean them.

I have this nagging feeling that once they are in their bags, they will be forgotten.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Condition before they go into storage. If it is long enough before they reappear condition them again before wearing.

3. Munky

Thanks, Patrick

4. Staffer18283

Staffer18283 Senior Member

For those folks who use Reno routinely, do you find it dries the leather significantly on the areas which don't receive a lot of wax ? I generally apply 2 layers of shoe cream post using reno (and buff post each application) but the leather feels dry and "lifeless" the next day.

A more philosophical question - if I am using shoe cream, do I need to use a separate conditioner (presuming I dont use the conditioner for the cleaning attribute but more for "hydrating") ?

5. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I'm not entirely sure we're talking about the same product. I regular (and have done for many years) block large pieces of leather to make full wellington--full front boots. I'm not using soft or garment grade leathers but leathers such as French calf, Italian kangaroo and sometimes buffalo calf. (as well as cow and other rough stuff) . to do that I have to chase huge pipes wrinkles with great vigour...without damaging the finish or the leathers. I use Bick4 as a lubricant. I have never seen it take off even a little finish. Lexol will damage some finishes when that much rubbing is employed but not Bick4.

Maybe they've changed their formula?

6. patrickBOOTH

It is scary, that according to the MSDS it says there are silicones in it.

I honestly think getting some pure Dr. Bronner's coconut oil is probably the best thing you can put on leather in terms of conditioning.

7. DWFII

Spot on. And I'm not against solvents per se.

But to the extent that when the solvents have evaporated, all, or most of what's left, is sitting on the surface...as is the case with conditioners that are replete with wax or un-homogenized fats...it quickly be comes clear that nothing has penetrated the leather except the solvents themselves. The solvent, enter the leather, dissolve the resident fat,s and oils and carry them out of the leather as the solvent evaporates. And the so called "conditioners" are left sitting on the surface to collect grit and dirt..

For me this is not a dissing of any one particular product (although there are some...). I like Reno, to a point and I like Lexol in some circumstances and GK in others and RM William's in others.

8. Munky

How significant are these varying degrees of opinion about what to put on shoes? The arguments sometimes remind me of 'how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin'. As a relative novice in these matters, I would welcome the occasional consensus view. A year or so ago, everyone thought that Reno was a good thing. Now it seems to be in some sort of decline. Now, Glenkaren products seem to have peaked. What next? Yours,Munky.

9. Stirling

Stirling Senior Member

Some opinions are of informed,experienced souls, common sense should be enough to pick up who they are and what they suggest.

You spend almost all your sf activity in its entirety on this thread, I would have thought even a monkey (excusing the pun) would have figured out which regiment to follow!

10. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

Have you tried any of the Glen Karen Products, specifically the cleaner conditioner? I'm curious as to your thoughts if you have.

11. DWFII

Well, I have to say I didn't know that. I have called most of these companies--Lexol, Bickmore, etc., trying to get information about ingredients. They are not very forthcoming. I may have to look at Bick4 more closely.

I'm not sure about coconut oil either.

Munky,

Everything in moderation.

12. RIDER

RIDER Distinguished Member

Spit

13. Munky

Yes, Stirling, I appreciate that there is a huge amount of experience being shared on here and I appreciate that. I think that we have all learned from these experts. And you are right that I only post on this thread. The question I raised, though, was not a trivial one. I am interested to know the degree to which various shoe products really do and really don't work.

I am not as daft as I sound!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

14. patrickBOOTH

I pretty much use them exclusively except for some reno on a toe and hell now and again. Just the fact that there are few ingredients and all of them are labeled gives me peace of mind.

Rubber shoes... :(

15. RIDER

RIDER Distinguished Member

Are you sure about that?