**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

Good shine but I don't like such a high shine all over a pair of boots/shoes. It's just me. Maintaining that shine will be fairly time consuming without a weekly coating habit..

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of course, you can get a welt cleaning brush. I dab some renovateur on it and brush away. Let it dry a bit and then buff briskly with a regular brush.

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Aye and that is spot on IMO. But instead of stretching the hose I cut the foot end of the stocking off and put it over my hand being careful not to have a seam facing the shoe. A couple of minutes of fast and furious burnishing will have them glowing but only after they basically have a perfect shine to start with. Besides renewal of the shine I also finish all of my spit shines that way. After 20 years of polishing my boots and shoes in the Navy found that to be the most effective for me anyhow.

Except for my AE Sheltons and black calfskin Leeds I use cream on most of my shoes and then brush them out and have come to appreciate the lack of a really high gloss shine. Still takes some work to make them glow (reflect light) without the shinny mirror look but I'm starting to like it better on some leathers. A lot of great info on this thread.

4. DAASL

DAASL Member

Guinness?

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Well, far be it from me to rain on your parade. Sure give it a try! But I have to tell you I expect the alcohol to sugars ratio will be too low and you might not be happy with the result. But, again I've not tried it - so don't let me stop you!

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Some people play golf..

7. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

+1

9. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

In this video from the Crockett and Jones website , they recommend conditioning the soles. Can some of the experts explain the theory behind why this is a good idea?

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i cannot offer a theory, just practical experience. ask yourself, why wouldn't they need care? it keeps them pliable for the comfort and resistant to the surface you walk on. why do you treat the uppers? you could get away without. would it be clever?

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

12. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

But you don't want the soles to get wet. When the soles get damp and pliable they can pick up stones/pebbles etc. which can really scuff/damage the soles.

Wouldn't conditioning the soles make them soft and pliable, instead of hard?

13. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I see people mention applying Reno with your fingers, how much is too much in one application? Thanks

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Conditioning the soles also helps them resist moisture absorbtion, which is a big plus.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It also keeps them from literally cracking, which can happen if they are exposed routinely to water. It has happened to me. I wouldn't think you need to do it as routinely as regular care, but if you are walking in the rain after letting them dry for a day rubbing them down with Lexol sure can only help them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011