• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding Kirby's "presidential shine" routine (http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/presidential-shoe-shine-guide)

In step 4, application of pommadier cream, he writes "...we recommend applying three successive coats to rebuild the protective wax finish. After using the RENOMAT ...". Now, does that mean that one should apply 1 coat of cream, wait for it to dry, then buff it out, and apply one more, OR one should apply 1 coat, wait for it to dry, and then apply a successive coat on top of the dried one?

Avoid those advice like plague.

At least wait dry the first coat to let the cream absorb by leather. Follow on creams you can buff directly.

You're a natural, pB! You've got it in one.

Unless they are actually orthotics and fit to the shoe as well as your foot, you're asking for trouble.

Yes, people do it. And seemingly get away with it. But as I have said many times, the consequences of a mis-fit will not, in all probability be noticeable until years down the road and no way of going back.

And the other truth is that a good fitting shoe will preserve, and even...to some small extent...correct, foot problems that have developed or are in the process.My wife was developing a fallen metatarsal arch and bunions when I first started making her footwear. I didn't believe it myself but the bunion, at least, never happened.

One thing to consider...most of us are born with perfect feet and we'd keep those feet if we didn't wear shoes. But if you take off your socks and stand upright and look down at your feet...and if you cannot lay a straight-edge along the medial side of your feet and have it touch the foot from heel to the end of the big toe, you've already got some distortion of the fundamental structure and health of the foot.

Most of us do...and a lot of it won't affect you until you're old. But if you have bunions or hammer-toes or a thick, hard callus somewhere under the middle of joint-line of your foot...chances are the damage is done.

At the very least, you're a long way from home.

People who grew up wearing feet constraining device will most probably have deformed feet.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodness, Chanklebury, that's a lot of big words in a row!

Chanklebury

Reaction score
I have had a few beers and am feeling wordy.... my apologies.
Finding a well fitting RTW shoe is the bane of my life (sighs)

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

People who grew up wearing feet constraining device will most probably have deformed feet. 

I think that must depend on how you define "feet constraining devices"

I've worn shoes all my life. Started wearing cowboy boots in high school. Wore boots exclusively for the last 40 some years and started wearing shoes about 8 years ago. Now, that's all I wear.

I'm 68 now. Life has had its affect, but...

And

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why does the big toe and the outside edge of the feet sits out of the sole area?  Just wondering.

There were several lasts that I was playing with--one wider, one narrower. What you are looking at, with regard to the insole outlines, are bottom papers--a possible insole shape. The last would would be modified to mirror the footprint as close as possible and the insole shape would also be modified accordingly. Not the final insole shape or size, IOW. The final shape was probably somewhere between the green line and the red line.

That said, the big toe will migrate laterally as the heel is raised... of its own accord. And furthermore, the swell of the last above the featherline assures that there will be no pressure on any toe. The shoes made on this last are near as perfect a fit as I could wish for.

Finally, it is perhaps worth remarking that my fitting philosophy holds that the toes should gently, ever so slightly, nestle up against the inside wall of the shoe. If, with weight on, you reach down and feel your foot and can then feel the dorsal surface of the insole anywhere except at the end of your toes (and the toe stiffener should prevent you from feeling the insole in that region), the insole is too wide for the foot. Long experience has shown me that if I made the insole such that the print of the big toes was entirely within the outline of the bottom paper, I would, when done, be able to drive vamp leather with my thumb all the way to the surface of the insole. Not good. That excess/space will never be filled, never go away, and an ugly crease will develop right there.

The shape of the insole can be slightly smaller than the footprint or even, in some areas slightly wider. It depends on the foot. Naturally a more flexible foot allows more latitude in the way the insole is cut than a more rigid foot.

The important point in all this, however, is to look at the foot...my foot...see how it is shaped? No bunions, no hammer toes...no distortion-- virtually the same outline as when I was born.

Now look at the pedograph...all toes printing, no "hot spots" (darker areas indicating fallen metatarsal arches, etc.)--the significance of the pedograph is as one indicator of the health of the foot.

--

Last edited:

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for cleaners for vegetable tanned boots? I'm seeing suggestions for saddle soaps on other sites. Is there a preferred saddle soap for veg tanned leather?

For conditioning, I was going to go with Pecard's as I already have some at home. I have Renovateur too if that might be a better choice.

Thanks guys!

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't use saddle soap...it leaves a tallow or glycerine residue which will pick up grit.

Use Lexol-Ph cleaner or a ph-neutral bably shampooo.

Stirling

Reaction score
Dwf is right.

I'll probably be accused of heresy, but saddle soap despite its name isn't a very good cleaner, infact it was always more of a leather conditioner than cleaner (hence the addition of glycerin etc).

It has it's fans, but even in the equestrian world those who use it, do so to soften and condition leather, not so much to clean it.

Last edited:

Dillardiv

Reaction score

Don't use saddle soap...it leaves a tallow or glycerine residue which will pick up grit.

Use Lexol-Ph cleaner or a ph-neutral bably shampooo.

Doesn't the Lexol bottle say "glycerin-rich" on it? Last time I tried lexol it seemed to almost take color off the shoe in the spot I used it on. What's the best method for using Lexol?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of shoes that I have decided are a horrible colour. They are light tan. I don't have the skills that others have on here, to make artistic changes. What is the minimum I have to do to make them a darker colour?

Stirling

Reaction score

Doesn't the Lexol bottle say "glycerin-rich" on it? Last time I tried lexol it seemed to almost take color off the shoe in the spot I used it on. What's the best method for using Lexol?

It does have glycerine in it, but it's not likely to leave a tacky dust attracting residue due to the other additives within lexol.

Unless your shoes are soiled, since you have it use Reno it should be more than adequate.

Stirling

Reaction score
Munky, Firstly are they corrected grain? If so you can't do much.

If not using darker creams and polishes will take them down a notch or two. But don't be overly zealous, thin regular coats will get you a more even look, but it'll always be a lighter colour wherever the shoe creases. You could also apply a heavy conditioner, they are known to darken leather due to their fat/oil content.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads