**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

pB and cbfn,

Thanks....

I probably misunderstood.

It does work great to smooth out and polish the glaze when the spit-shine is done...or to renew a spit-shine when the shoes have been worn a couple of times. For buffing the spit-shine, in other words.

Not so good for spit-shine itself.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

2. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Pretty bold statements there. Do you have any experience of the aforementioned products or do you just enjoy making outlandish posts?

3. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Precisely.

4. dlind

dlind Senior member

Why would you ever use a stripper as part of your daily shoe care regiment? By definition it strips away build up of wax and cream, that takes time hence it should only be used when needed. Furthermore it will have an adverse effect on the leather if used excessively so I'm fairly sure he is in the right with his comments!

5. CalzolaiFeF

CalzolaiFeF Well-Known Member

The ordinary manutention does not involve stripping the finish. It would be like de-waxing your car with abrasive polish during a normal wash: unnecessary, maybe even damaging.

Renomat, acetone, pure alcohol (indeed) and other solvents are used only when the leather is clogged with dirt and products: in my experience, you need at least a couple of months of frequent use to need this kind of stripping.

Speaking about chamois, I use cotton (strips from old shirts) to apply the products, and for the final buffing a goat hair brush, then a nylon stocking with a sponge inside. The sponge absorbs what little wax remains after the buffing, and the nylon warms up with the friction and smooths the shine.

6. P Hudson

P Hudson Member

[​IMG]
    These AE Fultons have some ripples that developed over time but are otherwise in great shape. They are a superb shoe in terms of comfort and wet weather grip, so I plan to wear them for many more years. My question is this: how should I go about preserving the leather when it is hard to get anything into and out of the textures that are all over the front half of the shoe (minus the top-cap). My routine involves a bit of reno and some creme, but the slight loss of colour where the leather is least flat (not evident in the picture) suggests that I'm not getting all the way into those grooves.

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

Well, I think Chogall is right, like the others

8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Are you using shoe trees with these?

9. P Hudson

P Hudson Member

Hi Fred. That's a good question, which allows me to clarify things a bit more. Yes to trees. Moreover, the textures I'm wondering about are not the shell-like waves but the medium sized ones. They appear in the picture to mostly run horizontally, but in fact a closer look reveals that they are mostly horizontal in the valleys of the larger waves but mostly vertical on the peaks. The first picture shows the texture I'm talking about and the second shows the discolouration (most evident at the bottom of the picture).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Those creases are really deep. Have they always been stored with trees and always rotated (i.e. not worn 2 days in a row)? Are the trees sized correctly? The creases are still pretty pronounced even with the trees in your second pic. If these were always stored with correctly sized trees and always given a day off at least between wears I doubt they would have creased like that. Are you the original owner or were these bought used? Other culprits can be poor fit or inferior leather. With the trees in, give them some conditioner then a creme polish and the color should even out a bit, but I'm not sure there's a fix to your creasing problem.

11. P Hudson

P Hudson Member

Always rotated, but not always stored with trees. I have more shoes than trees, and find it easier to acquire the former than the latter here in Australia, so I tend to rotate the trees into the most recently worn pair. My impression with this pair is that the trees help more with the big waves than the moderate creases.

As for their history, I bought them about 5 years ago in very good condition for $19.02 on Ebay. The soles indicated very little use. I'd say that the fit is good and the leather is high quality. I'm sure being more vigilant with the trees would have helped, but that is all in the past.

I'm on my feet lecturing all day (well, as much as someone in a post-grad institution actually spends lecturing--not that much really compared to some) so I'm looking for something comfortable and supportive that matches tweeds and khakis. These are perfect in that regard.

I'm not so worried about their appearance--in fact I think they look great--but I want to make sure the leather doesn't dry out in the hard to reach places. Sounds like you're endorsing my current practice (i.e. reno plus shoe creme).

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

I have owned and used the following: acetone, rubbing alcohol, leather deglazer, dye preparer, and Renomat. In terms of smell and effectiveness, renomate is more abrasive than all except deglazer and equally as strong as dye preparer.

13. P Hudson

P Hudson Member

How do I delete this post?

14. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

As part of your daily shoe care regiment, no of course not, but that's not what he wrote.

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

CalzolailFef sentiments I agree with below. I would suggest using a product like renomat only when you are suffering from wax build up or other unwanted stains/marks which may translate to using renomat perhaps once or twice a year.

Renomat, acetone, pure alcohol (indeed) and other solvents are used only when the leather is clogged with dirt and products: in my experience, you need at least a couple of months of frequent use to need this kind of stripping.

15. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Despite owning such an arsenal of stripping products you say you see no need for their use at all in shoe care, ever. I wonder then what prompted you to own and use these products?

Also my original post queried your questionable statement on renovateur which I notice you have not been able to defend.

There is a lot of excellent advice and sharing of experience in this thread, I am merely trying to ensure that continues without exaggerated statements and poor opinions with no basis in fact. I hope you understand.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014