**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Well, that's part of the high price...that's the channel that was deliberately cut into the outsole to hide / protect the outsole stitching. It's supposed to be glued down and only wear away slowly. But sometimes the glues being used are water based. If you got these shoes wet....so that the soles were absorbing water and the sealing glue was water soluble...this is bound to happen.

I will say it's a perennial problem for shoemakers large and small. All purpose is neoprene and toluene based, waterproof, don't require clamping, and are environmentally hazardous and probably toxic. They also leave a rubbery residue at the edges that resists waxes and other finishing techniques.

The traditional pastes are all water and starch based; are non-toxic. easily made and disposed of and finish up nicely. They do require clamping or pressure and will dissolve and loosen when wet.

Take it to a shoe repair and ask them to re-glue (and hammer) it with all purpose.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

For vegetable tanned leather, what is the best conditioner? I bought Buttero sneakers and would like to keep them in good form in addition to horsehair brushing.

I have montana pitch blend that I use for chromexcel but since the Butteros didn't go through the chrome tanned process, wasn't sure if that was the best way to go. Before I do anything stupid, any ideas on how best to condition?

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Mine too...thank god for a company car.

4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Thank you very much DWFII - your knowledge and expertise is always much appreciated [​IMG]

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I use Glenkaren conditioner for my Butteros:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. IronStyle

Thanks for the suggestion! I've read about Glenkaren here but haven't tried it yet. I do have saphir creme universelle - do you think that would play the same role?

Also I got the same exact boot! Here they are before their first outing this week:

[​IMG]

7. patrickBOOTH

Do yours squeak as mine do? The squeak developed after a bunch of wears.

Creme universelle is probably fine, but I happen to prefer the simplicity and scientific basis behind the Glenkaren ingredients.

8. IronStyle

Thanks for the input and they seem to both be good options considering they are non pigmented and are all natural. Anyone else use anything else on this type of leather?

Also no squeaks yet but it's only been one wear and these will be weekend shoes. Ill pay attention to any squeaking when I put pressure when stepping down and see what happens and report back. Only sound I hear yet is the soothing movement of leather like when crinkling my toes or bending my foot which I assume is just the leather adjusting and getting its first creases.

9. patrickBOOTH

Yeah I developed some weird sole squeak that feels like it is around the ball of the foot during a stride.

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

Gawd even your sneakers are black...

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

Missus insisted on posting the question here, even though I reckon even renovateur can't get rid of the blue jeans tint on her brown bag.

any ideas? guys

[​IMG]

12. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Nope, I read over at the Wolverine 1k Miles thread that the dye in jeans is basically impossible to remove. A possible solution may be to strip the leather and redye.

13. dlind

dlind Senior member

Maybe try some renomat? be careful though might strip the colour!

14. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I stated this before...but I have this problem with blue jeans and the leather of two of my car's seats.

I would honestly try and find out what leather cleaners a car wash uses when they do a "full detail" and try and use that....I guarantee it will get that out.

The car was gets it out of my car every time I have it detailed...so there is something out there that works.

15. patrickBOOTH

Well, I don't really wear them much. I wear them to walk to yoga and I went on a trip to Cambodia recently where they were worn daily.

Yeah, Renomat and elbow grease will get it out, but the leather will be very raw and maybe some of the color gone. If you do this condition the hell out of it when you're done. It may not be worth it to try and even out the color and if you try with polish you will find the pigment in the polish will rub off onto clothes. Best to think of the denim stains as "charm".