• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, side ridges such as those are a result of your gait.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys. After reading thousands of entries on this thread, I can get a pretty decent shine on my calf shoes. The thing that eludes me, however, is a really good shine on my AE cordovan Leeds.
I keep hoping for something like post 2036 of this thread, on p. 136. This pair of shoes is reported to be only a couple months old.

Compare that to my Leeds. I've had these for over a year, and have brushed them for hundreds of hours. They haven't been worn a lot, but some weekends I'll brush them for several hours. I treated them with Saphir cordo creme early on (because they arrived [new] with a few minor scuffs). Since then, until this weekend, I have basically only brushed them. Today I applied a couple thin layers of Saphir Renovateur--which added a bit of shine. The shoes look like they are in great shape, but they don't have any interesting colour variation, and they aren't taking on much of a shine. All the work I've done only seems to have brought out the imperfections in the cordovan. This picture makes them look a bit shiny, but they don't have any gloss compared to a good polish on my calf shoes.

Any advice gratefully received.

As Ron Rider mentioned, shell is tricky. You'll never get the same type of shine on your Leeds that you do on your calf shoes. Calf needs the layer of wax atop the leather to achieve its shine. Shell has an innate shine due to the oils and waxes stuffed into it during the tanning and finishing process. That's not to say you can't bull the toe of your shell shoes to get a mirror shine, I simply think that the beauty of shell is its inherent shine, not a wax shine like calf. Alden adds something during their finishing process that makes them look nicer out of the box than their AE counterparts.

Those are my Leeds in your 1st image. Products like Renovateur and Venetian Shoe cream will add a bit of life to your Leeds but nothing looks better than shell with some wear on them. That's when they get the depth that looks so nice (IMO of course).

For reference, I achieved a decent shine on these shell boots using Saphir Cordovan polish and a bit of kiwi wax. Note, I haven't used that much product on shell since that experiment.

These were treated with Renovatur or VSC just prior to the picture. Shell looks its best like this, IMO. Broken in, some wear, dings, dents, etc., just a small amount of product and a lot of brushing.

robkez313

Reaction score
I bought Saphir Renovateur. Is it enough protection for shoes to use only Renovateur or do i also need to use Saphir Cream Polish on top of Renovateur?
Shoes are : guidi black, wolverine 1k brown

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shine on those boots is WOWOWOW.

ezlau

Reaction score
e9e9y4uv.jpg

This is a pair of my loafer where the tip is worn and I believe the welt are showing? Just wondering what you guys think: Resole, or would it still last for awhile?

The sole still feels solid (no spongy feeling) when I apply pressure on it.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

e9e9y4uv.jpg

This is a pair of my loafer where the tip is worn and I believe the welt are showing? Just wondering what you guys think: Resole, or would it still last for awhile?

The sole still feels solid (no spongy feeling) when I apply pressure on it.

If you keep wearing it, you'll have to replace welt, too. Not the optimal situation...either for the shoe or for your pocketbook.

ezlau

Reaction score

If you keep wearing it, you'll have to replace welt, too. Not the optimal situation...either for the shoe or for your pocketbook.

Thanks DWF - that's what I thought too. :)

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also I have noticed that this kind of side ridge has formed
What you're seeing there is the edge of the heel stiffener. It was not skived (thinned to a feather edge) well enough or the material used for the stiffener would not allow fine skiving, and / or it wasn't adhered to the lining and quarters well enough. Done deal...no help. Sorry.

ovlov

Reaction score
What you're seeing there is the edge of the heel stiffener. It was not skived (thinned to a feather edge) well enough or the material used for the stiffener would not allow fine skiving, and / or it wasn't adhered to the lining and quarters well enough.

Done deal...no help. Sorry.
Thanks mate,
Glad you chimed in. How about the forefoot though? That seems to be the bigger concern. As it stands now it probably isn't all that noticeable, but if like the now before wearing is it likely rto get significatly worse? and why would it be there in the first place? leather/ construction?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks mate,
Glad you chimed in. How about the forefoot though? That seems to be the bigger concern. As it stands now it probably isn't all that noticeable, but if like the now before wearing is it likely rto get significatly worse? and why would it be there in the first place? leather/ construction?

I don't know...maybe I've seen too much...but I don't really see a problem there...at least not in the leather itself.

All leathers are going to crease where the shoe flexes. If those creases are in a toe cap broguing, then either the toe stiffener is too soft or the toe cap / broguing too far towards the joint or the shoes don't fit you. Nothing else suggests itself.

And, from what I've gathered talking to Tony Crack, the baby calf is kind of like a crust...which is as close to the natural surface of the leather as you can get in a shoe leather...so it's unlikely to be a problem in the finish.

Maybe if you can explain to me what it is that you find disturbing, I can give you a better answer. Maybe a better photo?

Last edited:

ovlov

Reaction score
I don't know...maybe I've seen too much...but I don't really see a problem there...at least not in the leather itself.

All leathers are going to crease where the shoe flexes. If those creases are in a toe cap broguing, then either the toe stiffener is too soft or the toe cap / broguing too far towards the joint or the shoes don't fit you. Nothing else suggests itself.

And, from what I've gathered talking to Tony Crack, the baby calf is kind of like a crust...which is as close to the natural surface of the leather as you can get in a shoe leather...so it's unlikely to be a problem in the finish.

Maybe if you can explain to me what it is that you find disturbing, I can give you a better answer. Maybe a better photo?

Its that there are very soft small wrinkles that are a- much smaller than what I see in any of my other shoes and b- appear to have occurred before the shoes have even been worn out and about. It's not really noticeable now but I am concerned both that the different size/texture of the wrinkling indicates and issue with the leather and b- that after wearing the shoes about a bit they will become much more significant and noticeable. of course after some wear all my shoes get some wrinkling but they are more 'chunky'.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmond got a bit scratched up. Not sure how I can alleviate the situation. Attached are the photos. Are these marks permanent?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads