1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. glenjay

glenjay Senior Member

As pB mentioned, it is not unusual get some minor white residue from using neutral polish. This is usually caused by using too much polish. Very little polish is needed to shine a shoe. This is true of most shoe polish, and especially true of GlenKaren polish.

As for the stiffness of the polish in the jar, this is due in part to the coconut oil in the polish. As the polish warms up from friction (movement of the leather fiber protein bundles, shoe brushing, etc.) or ambient room temperature, the polish will soften. Most shoe polish will soften when warm and be stiffer when cool (mostly due to the waxes), it is just more pronounced with GlenKaren polish.

An interesting side effect of the coconut oil is that if you store your shoes for an extended period of time in a cool area you may get a very slight haze on the leather surface. a quick brush of the shoes liquefies the coconut oil haze and gives the shoe a fresh polished glow. Of course this is not true of the High Shine Paste (no coconut oil).

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Do you recommend storing the cream and/or shoes in a warmer environment?

3. glenjay

glenjay Senior Member

No, not really. I would avoid extremes of very hot, arid, or freezing cold for storing any shoes, but other than that there are no special requirements.

4. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Thanks for setting that straight.

5. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I hate to lower the tone but a shoe product I have found very useful is Doc Marten's Wonder Balsam. 'Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam is a unique combination of coconut oil, lanolin, and beeswax'. It is good for those shoes you save to wear in the wet and, of course, any Doc Marten shoes or boots you may have, I have two pairs of their, goodyear welted, shoes and the Wonder Balsam is ideal for keeping them supple. Note that it contains that magical ingredient, coconut oil, so beloved of many a contributor to this thread.

6. anrobit

anrobit Senior Member

Doc Martens still makes proper GYW shoes? I thought they were only doing their funky proprietary process now

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I bet it doesn't taste as good as GlenKaren though.

8. SlickTime

SlickTime Active Member

Pardon my ignorance but does the portion about -not treeing boots- apply to chukka boots and short lace boots comparable to chukkas in size? Or is it okay to tree them?

Thank you

9. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

10. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Fair comments all around J.

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

No, I tree my chukkas and chelseas and jodhpurs all the time.

Pull on boots...such as cowboy boots...don't have the cupped heel stiffener that a shoe has. If they did they would be hard to get into when they fit properly. The whole idea of not treeing them is to accentuate and facilitate the ability of the heel stiffener to grip the heel of the foot.

12. DWFII

Several points...the whole discussion was not about a particular maker. This thread, as the title indicates, is about shoe and leather care. Yes, the original questioner identified the maker but no one else repeated or addressed that until the near the end of the discussion. Had the question been posted in a more appropriate thread, it may have developed in a different direction.

IMO, those that have made the maker an issue do a disservice both to the maker and to the people who were having an objective, rational discussion. It's really beside the point.

"Quality or quantity--choose one." Any time a maker chooses quantity over quality as a primary objective this kind of thing happens. You can see it in any of the Trades from gunsmithing to shoemaking to woodworking. It's only a question of where they draw the line, not if, and only for the time it takes for the foundational philosophy to lose currency...either through death or attrition or lack of faith.

And FWIW, the OP said that he had brushed the shoes...so, it is entirely possible that hey came to him looking nearly perfect. If the fiber mat was compressed...as it would be in the uncut hide...it very well could have survived making without that compression being significantly disturbed. The OP may not have noticed anything amiss, IOW, until he brushed them. Even QC might have overlooked the problem esp. if the inspection was in any way cursory. And we don't know how or what he brushed the shoes with. Eventually, the problem would have surfaced but by that time the owner would have been uncertain and reluctant to make a fuss about it. And in fact, at that point, no one could know the cause for certain.

13. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

I thought you were allowed to pick up parts of a comment and discuss that here on SF, didn't realize that you had to follow a certain discussion. Also, didn't realize that you weren't suppose to discuss a certain brand in this thread. I'm not usually following it. But if the discussions aren't allowed of taking certain turns around different subjects, rather than just following the exact line that every thread is "supposed" to be intended for, I think SF would be a rather boring place.

Regarding the fact about how and if the OP had treated the suede, I totally agree.

14. DWFII

I'm not saying you can't. I do that all the time--follow the conversation where-ever it goes. Sometimes it's even me...riffing off something someone else said...that gets off track or off topic.

But this issue, here, has become focused on brands and which team people are rooting for rather than dealing with the objective facts. That kind of discussion is never gonna be productive if only because linear thinking isn't an attribute held in much regard here. It's all about emotions in most of these threads...from the "wow factor," to the devotion and defensiveness people who've invested thousand of dollars associate with their choices, to the obsequiousness of group-think.

I suspect that rather than deal with the objective facts and the logic that was being discussed, some folks felt more comfortable making the brand name / maker an issue. It just seems like an excuse for histrionics rather than rational discussion.

IMO...

15. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Anrobit,
    Yes, both my pairs of (wet weather) Doc Marten's shoes are goodyear welted.

Patrick,
    Despite your reservations, DM's Wonder Balsam is very good on toast with a little Gentleman'r Relish. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps.