**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Saphir Renomat will do the trick. However, AE doesn't usually use a lot of finish on their boots

2. Murph65

Murph65 Member

Thanks for the response. I've read that Renomat can be harsh. I shouldn't worry?

Is there a gentler step that I can try first before moving on to the Renomat if necessary?

I don't want to screw this up...

3. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

It can be, and you could follow it up immediately with a conditioner.

You could try something like lexol. I don't know if removing the finish would even out the colour. It's likely a difference in the actual colour of the shell.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

4. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I doubt that the issue is the finish. Shell typically does not have much of a finish on it because it would defeat the concept of shell. And, I would never use RenoMat on shell, personally, for the same reason. The difference in color is probably due to one of two things. 1) A different dye lot for the shell used for each boot, or more likely, 2) The lighter boot was on display (possibly near a window) and was lightened by UV over time, while the other boot remained in the box. Although you like the lighter color, you will probably have greater success darkening the lighter boot to match the darker.

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

And @Murph65 , in case you don't know, @glenjay really knows his stuff. His input should be considered seriously.

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Glen,

There's another possibility...I got this straight from Nick Horween...If you cut say a quarter aligned one way on the shell and you cut the other quarter aligned another way, they will reflect light differently and one will look lighter than the other. Two quarters cut from two different shells even from the same dye lot will reflect light differently esp. if the alignment is different.

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Not to sound repetitive, @Murph65 , but there are some very knowledgeable folks on this thread, and Mr. DWFII is another one of them. If my boot budget were larger, I would have a pair of boots made by him and I'm sure they'd be the best in my boot portfolio. [​IMG]

8. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the kind words.

That said, Glenjay is the man when it comes to shoe care. I tried his Glenkaren product for the first time last year (even though he and I live about 20 miles apart) and there's no doubt in my mind that it's better than any other product out there.

9. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Thanks DW, I hadn't considered the cut of the shell. That could certainly be a cause as well.

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

You could always just leave the darker shoe out in the sun// a windowsill for a while and it will eventually darken. (This will take months)

11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I'd just leave them as they are.

Shell is beautiful because its shell. Just roll with it and learn to love them.

12. Murph65

Murph65 Member

13. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Few quick questions guys. I'm still pretting new to polishing my own shoes and hitting a steep learning curve.

1. To save a little time tried dabbing some small spots of renovatuer on my tan shoes last night before rubbing in all over. Afterwards I noticed there was discoloration where the spots were. Is thus fixable or have I ruined my shoes? :(

2. My first try at a glass shine. How many layers of wax do you usually need? And is it ok to do say 3-4 layers per day over a few days (without wearing the shoes obv) or will this not get me anywhere?

3. Ah also. Once I reach the stage where I am polishing with wax+water, should I still be leaving the shoe to dry for bit between each layer? And should I buff after adding each layer or just on the last coat?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

14. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Are vibram heels one of the best in the shoe industry? Are they better than the standard heels used in formal allen edmond shoes such as the Park avenue?

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

My boots (AS Fordhams) after a salty Chicago long weekend where they were worn and not cleaned until I returned (about 4 days worth of wear): [​IMG] After a simple cleaning with white vinegar/water and conditioner/polish:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nothing like Crat's shine but I did want to show the durability of leather.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014