1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Leather doctor hydrator and Fatliquor

2. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

This is a question: I have a pair of Church's Edgware almost exactly one year old, and otherwise holding up well. I just noticed this tiny tear in the leather on a seam, and am wondering if this is something I should get professionally repaired if possible, complain about to Church's, or just not bother with.. any advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I don't think that's a tear, I suspect it is an errant cut. May even have been there before the vamp was clicked.

I don't think it can be repaired. And if repaired, the results may look worse than the cut.

4. freedom_fries

thank you for the reply and the insight - this doesn't sound promising as far as prognosis goes. would you go back to the manufacturer with this or will they wonder why it took me so long to see it?

5. DWFII

Well, it could have happened since you bought them. Maybe you caught the shoe on a sharp edge of a car door or a piece of glass...something. So the manufacturer isn't going to take responsibility for something that may not have happened in the factory.

I'd say chalk it up to life.

6. freedom_fries

well, at least nothing lost in repair costs - thanks again!

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I had a little accident with some new (to me) Allen Edmonds Sanfords in Whiskey Shell. I found that a stray onion from my oily Greek salad had latched on to the side and made a very dark spot. I tried to work it would with some Renovateur (the Beaute du Cuir version), but it didn't seem to have much of an effect even after waiting overnight. Unsure if the stain was more from oil or just more of a "watermark", I put a wet piece over paper towel over the area to hopefully dilute the stain. Indeed, most of the stain seems to be a watermark, as I've basically just made the problem bigger (though you can see the original stain in the middle):

[​IMG]

Is there anything that can be done to remove the watermark? If I don't want them to look uneven, am I forced to "stain" the whole panel/shoe with water? If so, will they be permanently darkened, or should they lighten back with time?

Thanks for your insight.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

50/50 water and vinegar solution. Rub it with some elbow grease and let it sit over night. Do the same thing again and let sit overnight. Do this about three times. If there is improvement keep doing this until it is about gone. Of no improvement after a few iterations, ignore it and it might go away with time.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I still do not understand why so many people consider shell a great all weather material. I can see black shell boots where all the stains and bumps arent really visible...I mean shell cano not even hold up to a greek salad.

1 person likes this.
  10. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

I think that's just the oil from your oily green salad. One way to go is to keep wearing them and the oil will eventually dissipate.
    If you really want to use something on it, rub the entire shoe (both shoes) with venetian shoe cream using a horsehair dauber, and let sit for a day or two without buffing/brushing. after said two days brush each shoe for about 10-15 mins. The VSC will initially darken the shell, but lighten in a few days. More to the point, the stain with have dissipated.

My suggestion would be to wear them around, and the oil stain will go away with time (& usual buffing)

1 person likes this.
  11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks, Patrick. I assume "Distilled White Vinegar, 5% Acidity" is the right stuff? I guess in hindsight I'm glad my Greek salad didn't have balsamic vinaigrette. ;) Would you do the whole shoe for consistency, or just the one panel? Also, should I be concerned that they'll smell afterward, and if so how would I combat that?

Thanks, I think I'll try this after the vinegar if for no other reason than to condition after all the rubbing.

12. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

If there was oil from your salad dressing involved...there is little you can do to remove the oil.

the best thing you could do is cover it with many layers of wax polish...

13. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Senior member

Is this creasing normal on my Park Aves? I've only worn them 4 times. I'm concerned because I have no gap between the laces when they are tied up. Maybe I need to move to a narrower width? Opinions please because I have two other brand new shoes on the same last and would go get them exchanged before wearing them.

[​IMG]

14. DWFII

Re: oil in leather...I have never tried Patrick's method but he's done quite a bit of research on the subject, so...

In any case, what we always did with any oil stain was slap on several successive coats of Elmers or BestTest rubber cement. Let dry thoroughly and then roll off. The solvents in the rubber cement will absorb the oil and lock it into the rubber and it will come off with the rubber. No scrubbing necessary. Repeat until the oil is fully removed.

Fuller's earth is another good anodyne for oil in leather. Press it into the affected area, let it sit, maybe overnight and then brush off. Repeat, repeat, and repeat.

No guarantee on either of these esp. after the treatment that you've already applied. But I've used the rubber cement trick a number of time successfully.

15. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

To remove food oil stain from brown shoes is to dab some lemon juice directly on the stain.

I had the same thing happened to me twice on different shoes, chinese food soup & some pizza cheese. At first I tried with leather shampoo & sneaker cleaner, no luck.

So I searched on SF, lemon juice is the best. You need to do it multiple times, dab & let it dry till stain disappear. Let us know how it work. Good luck.

16. jorijori

jorijori Well-Known Member

Lemon juice squeezed from a lemon not bootled lemon juice.

17. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I just received my first pair of Goyser welted Dinkelacker boots. I thought the conventional wisdom was that the Goyser welt is more waterproof than Goodyear, but then I saw this post by DWFII where he mentioned that if the thread wasn't properly waxed it could actually wick moisture into the shoe. Do any of you that own Goyser welted shoes do any sort of maintenance on the welt stitching? Should I periodically hit it with some clear wax to keep it sealed?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  18. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

Any chance of restoring these Bass shoes to a wearable condition? My cat decided they looked like a scratching post. I wrote these off a long time ago but just pulled them out of my closet recently so I figured I would see if anything could be done. [VIDEO][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/VIDEO][​IMG]

19. DWFII

Just a note of clarification...my intent with that comment was to speak to waxing and waxes more than anything else. FWIW, however, any thread that is exposed to the environment can, and often does, wick moisture...esp. from wet to dry.

Beyond that, even though it's not the same kind of wax as handwax or intended for the same purpose, putting shoe polish/wax on the threads occasionally, won't hurt them, you know. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Thanks DWFII!