Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Good, I'm glad it's good as I bought some. I didn't know how good so that's why I asked the question.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Despite my initial disappointment at pouring half a bottle of it over my shoes, I am generally very impressed with Lexol. As with a lot of these things, a little goes a long way. I found that it left the surface of the shoes a bit sticky. Left overnight, though, and the shoes buff up to a deep sheen. Like Saphir's reno, I would think it is one of those things you don't need to use very often. I can imagine its being ideal for bringing an old pair of neglected shoes to life. I can also imagine that overuse of it might make leather a bit 'flabby.'

I know that all of these things have been said before, but it is no bad thing to occasionally rehearse them again. Best wishes to all our readers, Munky.

3. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Thanks for this, Munky. It confirms my recent experience with Lexol, which is that it leaves the shoes a bit sticky. I also don't intend to use it as part of my regular maintenance regimen (unless I'm reviving some really old pairs) since the stickiness tends to attract a lot of dust. I've notice that Reno is less sticky, so I might use that instead for my not so beat up pairs.

4. Keen

Keen Senior member

Pedestrian attempt at shoe care/polish and photographs.

The black shoes got a full treatment with cleaning (saphir omninettoyant), one layer Saphir Dubbin Graise followed by 24 hours of rest, three layers of Saphir Pommadier and two layers of polish (Burgol).

The Galways got three layers of Burgol Cream and two layers of polish. The Carminas only got a couple of layers of polish. After having spent 1 hour and 45 minutes, I didn't have the energy (and my arm was tired :p) to go for a real spit polish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I used Lexol for years and years. I still have the better part of a gallon at hand. You're right it does leave a sticky residue esp. if applied with too heavy a hand. Not so long ago I switched to Bick4 and I think it the best all-around conditioner I've ever used.doesn't stain, doesn't remove colour/finish, penetrates well, no sticky residue.

7. Keen

Keen Senior member

Thank you kindly :)

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

DWF: I used Lexol for years and years. I still have the better part of a gallon at hand. You're right it does leave a sticky residue esp. if applied with too heavy a hand. Not so long ago I switched to Bick4 and I think it the best all-around conditioner I've ever used.doesn't stain, doesn't remove colour/finish, penetrates well, no sticky residue.

Thank you for your useful comments, DWF. I found that the stickiness disappeared once I had left the shoes overnight and buffed them with a brush. I have looked up Bick4 and it seems not be available in the UK. Given that I still have half a bottle of Lexol, I think I will use that up before considering anything else. Thanks, again.

9. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Any simple tips to treat new E cordovan shoes?

I've heard people stripping out the polish for AE cordovan and rebuffing for a higher shine or using the "Mac Method". Any thoughts?

Is it necessary to use cordovan cream or something simple like Reno will do the trick?

10. azumi

azumi Senior member

11. CalzolaiFeF

CalzolaiFeF Well-Known Member

Try simply buffing them with a cloth, the shine should come naturally.

Cordovan is full of fat, why suffocate it with wax?

12. Keen

Keen Senior member

On the whole shoe, and I actually left it for 48 hours now that I think about it.

Used j_ingevaldsson's guide here and it's the first time I used that product, so went with what he recommended.

13. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:So the best thing to do is simply wipe it with a cloth in circular motions?

14. CalzolaiFeF

CalzolaiFeF Well-Known Member

15. Murph65

Murph65 Member

Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Burgundy Shell Daltons from the AE seconds sale. It is clear that at least one reason that they were seconded was due to the significant difference in color between them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I much prefer the lighter color of the right boot and have searched around the internet enough to know that finish can be removed, but there's lots of conflicting advice out there. I'm sure this has been discussed here before. Can someone point me toward the best products and techniques to use. I have AE Conditioner/cleaner at home. Can I use that or should I stick with finding a Saphir product or something else?

Thanks very much in advance for any and all help.